Why couldn’t we have LSUs offense!!

Perhaps the Pride of Pembroke Pines would have brought us a different OL Coach and different blocking schemes that would not have left numerous freshman, both true and redshirt, out on islands and left them generally overmatched all season.

Our OL was absolute garbage. Partially because of talent, partially because of coaching and scheme.

I am not disputing the garbage coaching on our end....it is obvious to even Stevie Wonder.....but alot of what I've seen from lsu this season aside from Brady's coaching and Burrow's great play is a very physical OL....On some plays vs UGA last night he was standing back there getting a pedicure...sorry, we don't have that sort of supporting cast and that's on the recruiting aspect of coaching...no question Brady made a difference, but it was more as the final piece to what was an already talented squad....Conversely, our Canes are missing many pieces...when was the last time we brought a minimum of three quality OLmen?

Advertisement
All facts. But it's completely reductive to credit Burrow's transformation to a scheme change. He's not making easy reads and schemed throws. He attacks man coverage downfield with precision. He escapes pressure with calmness and ease. Scheme has nothing to do with that stuff.

If you wanna credit the staff changes to his development then that makes sense but the talent is the scheme for LSU. There are much more creative and dynamic offensive systems in CFB.

In my opinion, you saw the perfect blend of coach/scheme/player. Everything just came together and all of this accentuates the positives that Joe Burrow brings to the table.

If I were the Cincinnati Bengals taking Joe Burrow #1 in the draft, I am hiring Joe Brady in some capacity or getting someone from the Saints to implement that offense for him.

People act as though we're the only program out there. If we missed out on Joe Brady........didn't everyone except LSU miss out on Joe Brady?

Did anybody in the nation know who Joe Brady was before this year? Position coach 2 years at Bill & Mary. GA at Penn State for 2 years. Then an OA for the Saints for 2 years.

I am not disputing the garbage coaching on our end....it is obvious to even Stevie Wonder.....but alot of what I've seen from lsu this season aside from Brady's coaching and Burrow's great play is a very physical OL....On some plays vs UGA last night he was standing back there getting a pedicure...sorry, we don't have that sort of supporting cast and that's on the recruiting aspect of coaching...no question Brady made a difference, but it was more as the final piece to what was an already talented squad....Conversely, our Canes are missing many pieces...when was the last time we brought a minimum of three quality OLmen?

Much of this same talent on offense was 69th in the nation last year in Total Offense. 84th in yards per play (5.5 ypp).

They are now 1st in the nation in Total Offense and 3rd in Yards Per Play averaging over 2 more yards per play this year.

The players are executing, but this is an offense that truly goes vertical and is playing to the strengths of its players. Chase, Jefferson, and Mitchell are all dynamic players down field and they are pushing the ball down field. No longer is LSU running nonsense like jet sweeps (like they did under Matt Canada) or running lots of bubble screen nonsense like they did with Coach E before Joe Brady showed up. Joe Burrow's downfield passing numbers are legitimately unreal. Sure, they have a much better OL than we do...but its a team that doesn't put its OL in ****ty spots, too, like our offensive coordinator did all year long. How many times did we see Zion Nelson out there by himself against an All-Conference pass rusher?

Why was Burrow able to sit back there and get a mani-pedi? Because they forced Georgia to basically rush three for most of the game because they were bombing on'em. Yeah, their OL is filled with maulers, but they also force a defense to unclutter the box.

Advertisement
Don’t care what offense you run, you need the talent on OL, you’re not getting by with a ****** offensive line

Look at the Rams, Mcvay was able to hide Goff being an average QB the past two years, this year they have a horrendous OL and he looks like ****

Much of this same talent on offense was 69th in the nation last year in Total Offense. 84th in yards per play (5.5 ypp).

They are now 1st in the nation in Total Offense and 3rd in Yards Per Play averaging over 2 more yards per play this year.

The players are executing, but this is an offense that truly goes vertical and is playing to the strengths of its players. Chase, Jefferson, and Mitchell are all dynamic players down field and they are pushing the ball down field. No longer is LSU running nonsense like jet sweeps (like they did under Matt Canada) or running lots of bubble screen nonsense like they did with Coach E before Joe Brady showed up. Joe Burrow's downfield passing numbers are legitimately unreal. Sure, they have a much better OL than we do...but its a team that doesn't put its OL in ****ty spots, too, like our offensive coordinator did all year long. How many times did we see Zion Nelson out there by himself against an All-Conference pass rusher?

Why was Burrow able to sit back there and get a mani-pedi? Because they forced Georgia to basically rush three for most of the game because they were bombing on'em. Yeah, their OL is filled with maulers, but they also force a defense to unclutter the box.

So what you're saying is that LSU had all the pieces except a good scheme to exploit all the talent they had been stockpiling over the years. I agree. LSU, with all their issues these last few years, continued to recruit well. We really haven't....oh yeah, we do have some talent, but not on their level. Case in point is obvious with Coker's offense circa 2001 vs 2006.

I don't believe LSU's offense is the answer. The red flags on Enos were evident in the spring. I posted on this board about how slow the running plays were to develop... got bashed on here lol. The running plays are so slow they look like draws. It's already well documented how he routinely calls play action on 3rd and forever. It doesn't matter though. You can tell whether a play is a run or a pass pre-snap. So the play action is completely useless on any down and distance. Run on 1st, throw on 2nd, throw on 3rd, punt on 4th is the Dan Enos offense. What's comical about all of this is that the offensive stats are worse this season that last season with CMR. Last season was so bad one of the most well respected college coaches ever to retire. Anything but Enos being fired is unacceptable.

People love to gloss over the fact that our players suck nearly as much as our coaches. Inconsistent QB, above average RBs, all time terrible OL, below average to average WRs.

If you guys think we're an OC away from duplicating what LSU is doing you are out of your mind. LSU's past offenses may have been poor but they have consistently been recruiting monsters on offense for the past decade, that's why they were one coach away. We can't come close to saying the same.

Advertisement
People love to gloss over the fact that our players suck nearly as much as our coaches. Inconsistent QB, above average RBs, all time terrible OL, below average to average WRs.

If you guys think we're an OC away from duplicating what LSU is doing you are out of your mind. LSU's past offenses may have been poor but they have consistently been recruiting monsters on offense for the past decade, that's why they were one coach away. We can't come close to saying the same.

I agree in part with this. Maybe we aren't an OC away from being LSU, but we should be an OC away from being Utah who has a 1st year OC and gave themselves a chance of making the CFP by playing in the championship game.

Best case we should be similar to Baylor or Utah playing for a chance with our schedule being similar to theirs in perceived strength or lack thereof.

Worst case we should be similar to Wisconsin with an extra unexpected loss, but still playing in the conference championship. And just like Wisconsin we should put up a decent fight and eventually get outclassed by Clemson .

We are a good OC from these scenarios and quite a few horses away from actually being able to run with LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson.

Seriously? Outside of a much better scheme, they are better at every position and it’s not even close

I agree in part with this. Maybe we aren't an OC away from being LSU, but we should be an OC away from being Utah who has a 1st year OC and gave themselves a chance of making the CFP by playing in the championship game.

Best case we should be similar to Baylor or Utah playing for a chance with our schedule being similar to theirs in perceived strength or lack thereof.

Worst case we should be similar to Wisconsin with an extra unexpected loss, but still playing in the conference championship. And just like Wisconsin we should put up a decent fight and eventually get outclassed by Clemson .

We are a good OC from these scenarios and quite a few horses away from actually being able to run with LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson.
I get where you're coming from regarding our scheduling. But I don't understand where you're supposed to get consistency throughout a season with that OL and that QB performance from Jarren to end the season. Coaches can mask deficiencies, but our problems aren't deficiencies, they're complete disasters.

Advertisement
I get where you're coming from regarding our scheduling. But I don't understand where you're supposed to get consistency throughout a season with that OL and that QB performance from Jarren to end the season. Coaches can mask deficiencies, but our problems aren't deficiencies, they're complete disasters.

Given the youth and inexperience of some of the players we had starting on our OL there was always going to be lapses and missed assignments in most games, but some of the lapses were due to the situation they were put in with play-calling. Example see the 1st series of the game vs UF how many games to you recall Enos calling or stringing together another series of plays like that.

Short quick throws should have been a staple in our offense to loosen the defense up when you have an inexperienced line that won't hold up.
We did good with RB screens, but how about sum tunnel screens or quick spot passes out to our Wr and let them try a make a man miss. These type of plays along with others nullify the pass rush, so they can't just pin there ears back, penetrate and create havoc. They also get the QB's in rhythm.

Once you get the defense worried about the threat of quick hitters then you can build rhythm and mix in some of the other longer developing plays.
So Enos didn't help the offense (QB, OL and etc.) or himself by getting them in rhythm. He is lacking in his feel for when to call plays and how to sequence them together.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back