Why aren’t these losers being labeled thugs?

SouthernCal beat us 28-3 in LA with OJ running wild. I do remember USC wanting to schedule us for one a ‘neutral site game’, on the West Coast, after SC started its run with Carroll. IIRC, we insisted on a home-and-home.

I’ve always wondered why we played at Michigan twice, in 1984 and 1988, with no home games in Miami?

The "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" era, when we had no scheduling leverage whatsoever. And I'm fairly certain that those games were scheduled by Doc Mallios, not Sam Jankovich.

Advertisement
So the bigger question for MSU...Do they get to fire an overpaid Tucker for cause with a significantly reduced buyout? MSU AD should be having staff counsel looking at that angle tomorrow.

Remember, it was two big MSU alums/boosters who put up the money to pay Tucker the big extension.

Interesting legal angle...

Yes, Craig was hurt for four games, and then Gino started. I think he set a passing record in one of those games (that stood for quite some time) and then he lost the F$U game.

That's the year that F$U printed up shirts that said "F$U 24, National Champs 10", as if they didn't open the season with consecutive losses to 5-6 Southern Miss (Brett Favre) and 10-2 Clemson (a legit loss).
I was drunk and obnoxious that night but in Coral Gables not Tally.

Advertisement
Remember, it was two big MSU alums/boosters who put up the money to pay Tucker the big extension.

Interesting legal angle...

Good Point, the questions are:

- ROI on the $$$$ they spent

- What does Tucker's contract say (in detail) about player and personal conduct

A23B96ED-D53A-40FE-9E51-B5F52E8840FB.gif

The Pope did similar and still has his job. However he isn't a losing football coach with a big contract!

Yeah, I assumed those were scheduled years in advance. Late 70s.

I think it was early 1980s when those were scheduled. When Tad Foote took over as UM President, it seemes like we got a bunch of midwestern/Big 10 type teams added to the schedule. We always played Notre Dame, but we also had Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Ped State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Rice, directional schools in Illinois and Ohio.

I realize some of those schools were independent at the time, I'm just talking about that midwestern/academic profile that Tad Foote liked. If the Big 10 had been as aggressive in 1990 as they are today, I'm sure that's the conference Tad would have preferred to have Miami join.

Chose Maturity might be a relevant slogan
Dude, I might be licensed to carry, but I'm an old peaceful hippy. Maturity is correct... but then you add alcohol to the equation, and you get stupidity X100.
Not being a Fins fan, I would go to Bills/Fins games wearing my Kelly jersey. Never fails that a cretin, *******, mental midget wants to start a fight. Pathetic!

Advertisement
I think it was early 1980s when those were scheduled. When Tad Foote took over as UM President, it seemes like we got a bunch of midwestern/Big 10 type teams added to the schedule. We always played Notre Dame, but we also had Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Ped State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Rice, directional schools in Illinois and Ohio.

I realize some of those schools were independent at the time, I'm just talking about that midwestern/academic profile that Tad Foote liked. If the Big 10 had been as aggressive in 1990 as they are today, I'm sure that's the conference Tad would have preferred to have Miami join.
Yes, but we played home-and-home with all those schools. Except Michigan. Of course, other than Penn State - another IND we played at QB often enough - Michigan would be the blue blood program. Since then subsequent AD clowns scheduled game at UCF, USF, FAU, AppState, Toledo, and Cincinnati. At least Rad is getting rid of that idea.

Regarding joining the $EC, other than UF surely fighting it, IIRC one key issue was Miami not supporting enough other sports. I don’t think the $EC wants or wanted a football-only or otherwise limited member. Vanderbilt may be an exception but has been conference member since 1933.

F-$EC, BTW.

Dude, I might be licensed to carry, but I'm an old peaceful hippy. Maturity is correct... but then you add alcohol to the equation, and you get stupidity X100.
Not being a Fins fan, I would go to Bills/Fins games wearing my Kelly jersey. Never fails that a cretin, *******, mental midget wants to start a fight. Pathetic!
Why I stopped attending any games, anywhere. Almost any large crowd. People get stupid easy.

Suggest you wear Kelly Hurricanes throwback jersey?

Yes, but we played home-and-home with all those schools. Except Michigan. Of course, other than Penn State - another IND we played at QB often enough - Michigan would be the blue blood program. Since then subsequent AD clowns scheduled game at UCF, USF, FAU, AppState, Toledo, and Cincinnati. At least Rad is getting rid of that idea.

Regarding joining the $EC, other than UF surely fighting it, IIRC one key issue was Miami not supporting enough other sports. I don’t think the $EC wants or wanted a football-only or otherwise limited member. Vanderbilt may be an exception but has been conference member since 1933.

F-$EC, BTW.

No, you are correct, I was just saying that Michigan was one of the first of those midwestern schools to be scheduled. By the time we put Iowa and Wisconsin on the schedule, we had more leverage.

Why I stopped attending any games, anywhere. Almost any large crowd. People get stupid easy.

Suggest you wear Kelly Hurricanes throwback jersey?
No dude I just don't attend Fins games anymore... period. To Canes games there's no problem when wearing anything Canes related.

Advertisement
No, you are correct, I was just saying that Michigan was one of the first of those midwestern schools to be scheduled. By the time we put Iowa and Wisconsin on the schedule, we had more leverage.
My dream series, if I had to choose a few would be:

Stanford (have never played)
Georgia (haven’t played since 1966)
USC (haven’t played since 1968)
Texas (haven’t played since 1990 CB)

Assuming the program gets back on track….

Yes, Craig was hurt for four games, and then Gino started. I think he set a passing record in one of those games (that stood for quite some time) and then he lost the F$U game.

That's the year that F$U printed up shirts that said "F$U 24, National Champs 10", as if they didn't open the season with consecutive losses to 5-6 Southern Miss (Brett Favre) and 10-2 Clemson (a legit loss).
Erickson broke his finger on his throwing hand against Michigan St if I remember correctly. I think he had to have screws put in his finger as well.

Advertisement
Erickson broke his finger on his throwing hand against Michigan St if I remember correctly. I think he had to have screws put in his finger as well.

Yeah, I had a few classes with him. In one of my finance classes, I was in a project group with him and George Michael (the long-snapper, not the Wham singer).

I remember, everyone was happy with Gino at first. He came in against Michigan State in the second quarter when we were down by 7, and he won that game. Then we beat Cincy and San Jose State before the F$U loss (4 INTs for Torretta). I can't remember if Torretta or Erickson started against East Carolina, but I know that Erickson was back for Pitt (they were ranked at the time). Then we beat San Diego State before finishing out with the LEGENDARY game against Notre Dame.

L
Yeah, I had a few classes with him. In one of my finance classes, I was in a project group with him and George Michael (the long-snapper, not the Wham singer).

I remember, everyone was happy with Gino at first. He came in against Michigan State in the second quarter when we were down by 7, and he won that game. Then we beat Cincy and San Jose State before the F$U loss (4 INTs for Torretta). I can't remember if Torretta or Erickson started against East Carolina, but I know that Erickson was back for Pitt (they were ranked at the time). Then we beat San Diego State before finishing out with the LEGENDARY game against Notre Dame.
That ND game was Pure Insanity for 4hrs....Never saw the OB that Crazy for an entire game....Total bedlam..

Advertisement
Back