Why aren’t these losers being labeled thugs?

Nahhhhh, this brawl makes the FIU "brawl" look like a pillow fight:

And this brawl makes that one look like childs plays, the cops couldn't even stop it:

Yet we got demonized for the longest for the FIU "brawl", SMH!!!

Ahhhh, good times...I was there for that game...

One of my favorite parts of that video is when Brian Blades (I believe, as we did not give out duplicate jersey numbers back then) runs in from the sidelines and just hits a South Carolina guy in the back of the head.

I'm telling you...all of the UM fans who are younger than the age of 45...YOU HAVE NO IDEA...whatever you've seen in The U (parts 1 and 2)...there was sooooo much more that happened.

My photographer friends on The Miami Hurricane newspaper and Ibis Yearbook...they prepared in every single game to be ready to take pictures of fights and brawls. CaneShooter (my former roommate) set himself up to catch the pre-game argument at the San Diego State game (or was it Colorado, either way, it was a good west coast team). He had his camera up above it all, so that he had a great angle down into the face-off between the teams.

I'm not joking, and maybe @SWFLHurricane can back me up, but it seemed like we had some sort of a fight with the other team every few games back in the mid-to-late 1980s. Pre-game, mid-game, post-game, it just didn't matter.

Advertisement

One of my favorite parts of that video is when Brian Blades (I believe, as we did not give out duplicate jersey numbers back then) runs in from the sidelines and just hits a South Carolina guy in the back of the head.

I'm telling you...all of the UM fans who are younger than the age of 45...YOU HAVE NO IDEA...whatever you've seen in The U (parts 1 and 2)...there was sooooo much more that happened.

My photographer friends on The Miami Hurricane newspaper and Ibis Yearbook...they prepared in every single game to be ready to take pictures of fights and brawls. CaneShooter (my former roommate) set himself up to catch the pre-game argument at the San Diego State game (or was it Colorado, either way, it was a good west coast team). He had his camera up above it all, so that he had a great angle down into the face-off between the teams.

I'm not joking, and maybe @SWFLHurricane can back me up, but it seemed like we had some sort of a fight with the other team every few games back in the mid-to-late 1980s. Pre-game, mid-game, post-game, it just didn't matter.
They should've seen the Fights during practice in the Mid & late 90s.....Epic....

I wasn't there, but I can remember seeing that game on TV. Tight game, too, I think Irvin had that long TD that sealed the game. And IIRC, all they kept talking about leading up to that season was Todd Ellis' overrated ***.

I posted this in another thread, but we had two consecutive UM Student Government presidents arrested at UM football games for "trying" to keep the student section under control (though I think they both wanted publicity).

Joe Garcia got arrested in 1986 and Bill Barzee got arrested in 1987 (may have even been at this particular game).

Advertisement

Tough game. Week after a ND game, so a letdown was a worry, even though USCe was ranked 8th. Sterling Sharpe had a long TD catch.

Haven’t played since in the regular season. Golden lost a minor bowl game to Spurrier.

They are back on schedule for a home-and-home later this decade, so the hard feelings must be forgotten.

Now if Texas can finally forget the 1990 Cotton Bowl maybe Rad can schedule a home-and-home with the Longhorns.

Tough game. Week after a ND game, so a letdown was a worry, even though USCe was ranked 8th. Sterling Sharpe had a long TD catch.

Haven’t played since in the regular season. Golden lost a minor bowl game to Spurrier.

They are back on schedule for a home-and-home later this decade, so the hard feelings must be forgotten.

Now if Texas can finally forget the 1990 Cotton Bowl maybe Rad can schedule a home-and-home with the Longhorns.

Agreed.

And what must we have done in 1968 for Southern Cal to duck us for this long?

I remember making a list of all the teams in the 1980s and early 1990s who "decided not to schedule Miami anymore". It was impressive.

Advertisement
Yep. I think that USCe game probably had the biggest fight (on the field not in the stands) I saw in person.

I think you are right. I heard about the ND fight from 1988, but I didn't really know anyone (student-aged) who went to South Bend for that one. A couple of my friends from the Hurricane/Ibis went, but only the photographers were on the field, the writers were in the press box.

I think you are right. I heard about the ND fight from 1988, but I didn't really know anyone (student-aged) who went to South Bend for that one. A couple of my friends from the Hurricane/Ibis went, but only the photographers were on the field, the writers were in the press box.
If I ever went to a game in South Bend, I probably wouldn't make it out alive.

Advertisement
And I thought this was irrelevant on helmets.
12qw.jpg

If I ever went to a game in South Bend, I probably wouldn't make it out alive.

In 1989 in Tally, a guy right next to me (I didn't know him) got hit with a thrown FULL-SIZE whiskey bottle as we were leaving Doak. Saw the blood start to gush from his head. The crowd was so big and unruly that I got swept out of the way before I could grasp what had happened and try to help him.

In 1989 in Tally, a guy right next to me (I didn't know him) got hit with a thrown FULL-SIZE whiskey bottle as we were leaving Doak. Saw the blood start to gush from his head. The crowd was so big and unruly that I got swept out of the way before I could grasp what had happened and try to help him.
is that the one we lost with Gino starting?

Advertisement
Agreed.

And what must we have done in 1968 for Southern Cal to duck us for this long?

I remember making a list of all the teams in the 1980s and early 1990s who "decided not to schedule Miami anymore". It was impressive.
SouthernCal beat us 28-3 in LA with OJ running wild. I do remember USC wanting to schedule us for one a ‘neutral site game’, on the West Coast, after SC started its run with Carroll. IIRC, we insisted on a home-and-home.

I’ve always wondered why we played at Michigan twice, in 1984 and 1988, with no home games in Miami?

is that the one we lost with Gino starting?

Yes, Craig was hurt for four games, and then Gino started. I think he set a passing record in one of those games (that stood for quite some time) and then he lost the F$U game.

That's the year that F$U printed up shirts that said "F$U 24, National Champs 10", as if they didn't open the season with consecutive losses to 5-6 Southern Miss (Brett Favre) and 10-2 Clemson (a legit loss).

Advertisement
Back