Why a dual threat QB spread offense is BAD for Miami

We can find a happy medium and I hope to **** we keep Perry in this class.

Considering our recruiting base, I've always said we would destroy teams running a spread offense. There isn't a richer pool of talent to run the spread anywhere in the land. Considering who our coach is though, we're back to finding a happy medium.

Advertisement
N'Kosi Perry is labeled as a "dual-threat QB" but he's hardly one. He's fast and he can run, there's a difference.

Kid tossed 32 TDs and 2 INTs in his junior year. I'm sorry sir, but you're just wrong.

We don't need a spread O we need O-lineman that can block like we had when Dorsey was here

Alabama does run a pro style offense its just run heavy and when it gets a little too cute Nicky reins it back in

Perry is more Charlie Ward/Vinny Testaverde than Mike Vick which will fit Miami just fine

We can find a happy medium and I hope to **** we keep Perry in this class.

Considering our recruiting base, I've always said we would destroy teams running a spread offense. There isn't a richer pool of talent to run the spread anywhere in the land. Considering who our coach is though, we're back to finding a happy medium.

To quote someone from another thread

we can't have a QB that has "the mobility of peyton manning's water logged corpse chained to a mountain"

Gotta have a guy that can at least create with his legs. Heck that fsu qb is a pretty happy medium

Our #1 recruiting tool used to be (AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE): "Come to the U, we win."

I don't give a fuhk if a dual threat QB spread offense is what it takes for us to win again, I'm tired of losing. I'm tired of being underdogs at HOME against a team that was in a downward spiral AND LOSING.

It ain't hard. Win and they will come.

Bro, we were favored vs FSU bro.

Advertisement
I'd take never having another guy drafted, to win 2 or 3 championships in my lifetime. What they do on Sundays is cool but doesnt affect my life. It's about winning.

If no one gets drafted no one is coming. We ain't winning sht.

We haven't had a QB drafted in the first 3 rounds in 25 years, and have not had a first rounder in almost 30 years.

So if we're trying to sell "NFLU" to QB recruits, i doubt they're buying.

The OP is correct in that this was in fact the Miami formula for many years......we'd get usually an out of state QB, have him hold a clipboard for two years and he'd start as a junior.......we also had great OL's and usually at least one great RB and we had the fastest receivers in trhe nation, so during those years, so that all you needed was a smart qb with a decent arm to suceed.

While I think guys like Dorsey, Walsh, et. als. would do better, I think even they would make us a playoff team with this supporting cast. Richt still won 10 games a year in the SEC.......he deserves 2-3 recruiting classes.......but he does need to play to win and stop playing "not to lose".

I liked the Pro Style Offense, but we dont have the talent to protect a stationary QB at this point asnd frankly the rule changes over the years favor a spread offense these days......we cant run it with Kayaa but Ihope we swicth to it with N'Kosi and putting a bunch of burners on the field.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's the thing.....we don't have a ton of offensive players setting the league on fire right now. We have a few guys playing well, Olsen has been a stud forever,and Hurns is a beast, but besides that our O players in the league are somewhere between good depth player and average to above average contributor.

Tons of guys who played in spread offenses are balling out in the league right now. Playing in a pro-style offense in college has literally ZERO correlation to what you're going to do in the league. The cream will rise to the top. NFL coaches will take the most talented players and win with them.

The best thing these coaches can do for the players is put them in prime time games, and you do that by winning. If a spread sets us up to do that then i'm all for it.

Here we go again with this stupid *** pro-style offense, bro, bull****. You ******* morons need to realize the game has changed. Even Nick Saban has learned to change with the times. Most of the top teams in the nation run some form of the spread. That includes, Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Louisville and more.

Just because an offense isn't pro-style doesn't mean they can't put players in the NFL. Talent is talent.

Im starting to marinade this have a OC thing, and you don't have to do it, but if you can get a superstar, it may be worth it

yup having an athletic guys with mobility that can extend drives and put stress on opposing defenses is terrible for miami who wants that?

Advertisement
I don't want a 'dual threat' QB.

I just want a QB that has enough agility to shed a tackle and keep a play alive. Dan Marino had good footwork, he was no Michael Vick, but he could move fast enough 2-3 yards to the side to avoid the big hit and make the big play.

As long as said QB is accurate, has a good arm, and MAKES GOOD DECISIONS, you don't need a dual threat QB.

WR's need to help by catching the ball and an O-Line that keeps the pocket clean.

A dual threat QB is going anywhere with either of those not working.

Are any of you out of high school yet. The guy just stated an opinion. None of us are experts just people that have opinions. Grow up.

Advertisement
The 'sell' of UM football: come to Miami and win national championshipS! Everything else will take care of itself. Win. Just F-ing win.

We have the opportunity to field an offense like Louisville's and you think kids aren't going to come here because it won't make them ready for the pros?

Have you watched the NFL lately. Everybody is spreading it out.

How bout this recruiting tool?

Miami is lining up with 4/5 receivers every play...distributing the ball all over the field...and scoring 40+ points per game.

If you're a typical South Florida Quarterback who's lined up in the gun his whole life (i.e. Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Lamar Jackson)...would you rather go to a school that's gonna make you line-up under center and ask you to make reads while taking a 7 step drop?... Or go to a school that runs a high flying offense that's built around your dual threat ability?

I don't know about you, but I would've loved to have Teddy Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson at Miami.

If anything, the Pro Style offense actually HURTS our local recruiting. Not a lot of stud WR's want to go to a school where they'll have to sit on the bench because their offense only utilizes 2 wide receives most of the game. We'd be the only team in the country that has WR's who run 4.3-4.4 sitting on the bench while we trot out FB's and TE's. Why leave explosive athletes off the field? (especially when that's your main advantage at Miami)

Typically college programs run schemes that reflect their local style of play. Everybody in the South FLA, even down to a lot of the youth teams, run the spread.

And that whole "we prepare guys for the NFL" thing is garbage.

Our kids were talented. It didn't matter what scheme they played in. Andre Johnson could've played in the Wing-T.

If we prepared guys so well for the NFL then WTF happened to our QB's? Most were mediocre in the NFL. (or worse)

Yet another misinformed poster on this forum not understanding the schematic differences between RPO's, spread, zone-read, triple-option, etc...

Mods can we sticky the RPO vs zone/spread thread so we don't have to go through this in every dozen posts or so?

Advertisement
Back