Why a dual threat QB spread offense is BAD for Miami

SWFLSWAGG17

My Dog has that Dog in him.
I get that these offenses are lighting it up and exposing teams like FSU right now. Maybe if we landed the right guy it would net us a few more PPG for a year or two, however it would severely damage the #1 recruiting tool we have. " Come to Miami and we will get you ready to play on Sunday. "
Running a pro style offense is a major reason UM has more guys in the league than anyone else than maybe Bama by now (who also runs pro style). FSU's defense has been gashed this year by dual threats partly due to the same reasoning. They run a scheme that translates much better to the Sunday league so they are left vulnerable at times to QB's that are electric with their feet but will likely be UFA's playing WR in the senior bowl or working for UPS living off their college glory. I'm honestly not hating on mobile guys, I'd love Kayya to be more mobile. Just not at the expense of his core skill set. There is no more time for a learning curve in the NFL for high draft picks and guys that have 3 or 4 years experience in pro systems project much better than guys who should project to be able to do the job.
I am no expert, this is just a common sense opinion.

Advertisement
Get out of here with this 1995 crap. If we want to win, we need a QB who can throw, lead, and run. It's not rocket science.

Go look at what Alabama is doing and tell me why a dual threat QB is bad for Miami

We don't even need a dual threat qb just one that is capable of picking a first down when he needs to. Kaaya is not a runner. Don't know why he won't do it

Why do guys care more about getting guys to sundays than winning games on saturdays, its absolutely weird. Where has that recruiting pitch gotten us in last 10+ years as we became known as "nflu"...

You win games and dominate and recruits come, play an exciting brand of offense that lights up score board and recruits will come. Selling nflu while losing games and talents like Dalvin take their talents elsewhere.

Advertisement
Our #1 recruiting tool used to be (AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE): "Come to the U, we win."

I don't give a fuhk if a dual threat QB spread offense is what it takes for us to win again, I'm tired of losing. I'm tired of being underdogs at HOME against a team that was in a downward spiral AND LOSING.

It ain't hard. Win and they will come.

Totally misunderstand what I'm saying. A QB that can run is obviously preferable to one who can't. I see so many people calling for an offense that puts priority on the ability to run over the ability to read a defense and accurately pass. An offense with 7 RPO plays and no real route trees or balance. Maybe I didn't stress that, but if you play completely spread out, no TE's and never take a snap from under center your chances of getting an elite guy who runs & throws well are slim. They don't grow on trees. If the 2001-02 Canes balanced offense isn't exciting enough for you. Bama plays a lot more pro style than spread with FB's TE's and big tailbacks to set up play action. So this frogman says eat a **** Mr Marine.

Advertisement
Totally misunderstand what I'm saying. A QB that can run is obviously preferable to one who can't. I see so many people calling for an offense that puts priority on the ability to run over the ability to read a defense and accurately pass. An offense with 7 RPO plays and no real route trees or balance. Maybe I didn't stress that, but if you play completely spread out, no TE's and never take a snap from under center your chances of getting an elite guy who runs & throws well are slim. They don't grow on trees. If the 2001-02 Canes balanced offense isn't exciting enough for you. Bama plays a lot more pro style than spread with FB's TE's and big tailbacks to set up play action. So this frogman says eat a **** Mr Marine.
Newsflash: this isn't 2001.

What is with these weirdo fans who care so much more about putting players into the NFL than actually winning football games?

Second of all, have you actually watched any drafts in the past 15 years?

I read the first two sentences and quit. GTFO with this type of thinking. This is what's wrong with this program. NFL NFL NFL. WIN COLLEGE GAMES!!!!!

Advertisement
N'Kosi Perry is labeled as a "dual-threat QB" but he's hardly one. He's fast and he can run, there's a difference.

Kid tossed 32 TDs and 2 INTs in his junior year. I'm sorry sir, but you're just wrong.

Our read option play only has two options: Either the RB gets the ball or we play action pass. A QB keeper option would work wonders keeping the defense off balance even if it is only 4 or 5 yard gains.

Advertisement
Two different things here:

1) Dual threat QB - definitely not bad for Miami or any other school, for that matter. There were tangible moments on Saturday where if Brad had legs - we're not even talking Michael-Vick-type legs but just human legs that can run - we could have made better plays and extended drives. I can't imagine a scenario in which a QB's ability to run and also throw on the run would be bad.

2) Spread offense - I tend to agree with you that the spread offense, while tempting since it hides o-line vulnerabilities, is not something I really want in Miami. Despite what others on here are saying, I think NFLU is still a big part of our brand and the lure to playing here. We've also seen that, when properly executed and with the right personnel, the pro-style attack is more effective than the spread option. That being said, one of the best parts of a pro-style offense is that you can use a variety of sets to keep a defense on its heels. With the speed that we can recruit down here in SoFla, we should definitely incorporate some spread sets in the playbook.

I'd take never having another guy drafted, to win 2 or 3 championships in my lifetime. What they do on Sundays is cool but doesnt affect my life. It's about winning.

Advertisement
Back