Who's Our Striker?

Advertisement
Personally, I’d like to see McCloud put on 15-30 and put his hand down like Toolbox.

Down and Distance / Off formation will determine if we are in Strriker or not
Agreed. Problem is down and distance + formation dictates striker position far more than ever before and certainly more than we used any Nickel/hybrid last year. Defensive heads differ, but I'm on the side of believing we used 3 LBs too often last year. If you're our opponent and you stay in traditional personnel groupings and tight formations allowing us 3LBs and insane upfield play, your O-Coordinator should be fired.

I'd like to see Shaq and Pinckney lock up their spots in a modern defense. On the most recent podcast, I predicted we'd see one or both surprise with their coverage this year and even grab a pick-6 or two.

Imo
MLB Shaq, Mike Smith, Jennings
WLB Mike Pinkney, Mike Smith again, Steed
SLB McCloud, Perry, Wilder
Striker D.Smith, R Finley, McCloud
I think the Striker depth chart would actually look like: D. Smith, Finley, Wilder

McCloud's struggles in space is the exact reason for the striker position. I can't see him being in competition for that position.

Advertisement
Down and Distance / Off formation will determine if we are in Strriker or not

So in other words we are either in 43 or 52 depending whether run or pass situations. What then has changed or how is this any different than what other teams do?

I thought the striker position was a hybrid role that would allow either /or to defend run or pass w/o need of having to change personnel on the fly?

Speaking of just the LSU game for now, if Orgeron wasn't full of **** and is indeed going to go to a 4 WR set, wide open. spread offense the majority of the time then I don't see how McCloud will see playing time that day. That is exactly where guys like Finley and DSmith will be needed. Finley being used when we suspect a run out of that 3-4 WR formation and DSmith subbing in when we expect the pass out of that spread formation.

I’m almost as skeptical of Finley in space as McCloud. And McCloud is a mess.

We’ll see what happens with that Striker spot, but I’ll be surprised if it fixes our pass D. It was dealer’s choice for a bunch of average QBs against us last year.

Advertisement

We’ll see what happens with that Striker spot, but I’ll be surprised if it fixes our pass D. It was dealer’s choice for a bunch of average QBs against us last year.

If Ford and Bethel don't step up the middle of the field is the least of our worries.

I REALLY like Ford....

Toledo game second half when it was all but over that kid was running 25 yards down the field to get in on a tackle from the DT spot. You have said this a billion times Chise, lots of times those "big kids" just "out fat" in highschool.........you cannot teach effort. I really really like Fords motor.

Bethel gets **** on just for the **** of it as a JAG which is baffling. It's as if our kids cannot develop but every single other teams can.

If Ford and Bethel don't step up the middle of the field is the least of our worries.

I REALLY like Ford....

Toledo game second half when it was all but over that kid was running 25 yards down the field to get in on a tackle from the DT spot. You have said this a billion times Chise, lots of times those "big kids" just "out fat" in highschool.........you cannot teach effort. I really really like Fords motor.

Bethel gets **** on just for the **** of it as a JAG which is baffling. It's as if our kids cannot develop but every single other teams can.

I’m not at all worried about our DL/DT talent barring significant injuries. If we continue to let average QBs shred us in the throw game we are going to struggle to be a good D. We got chewed the fck up way too often last year in the throw game.

Come to think of it, I actually like what our DTs can bring from a pass rush perspective better than I liked last year’s group.

I am hoping that was due to the fact that there were guys in that back 7 that were either inexperienced in pass coverage (Shaq and Pinckney) or just plain didn't know what the **** they were doing at times. (Redwine, McCloud, Knowles and Jaquan the first 3 games of the season before the light came on for him). These guys are a full 3 years in the system now. I am hoping that issue has been solved through experience and reps. We shall see.

I am hoping that was due to the fact that there were guys in that back 7 that were either inexperienced in pass coverage (Shaq and Pinckney) or just plain didn't know what the **** they were doing at times. (Redwine, McCloud, Knowles and Jaquan the first 3 games of the season before the light came on for him). These guys are a full 3 years in the system now. I am hoping that issue has been solved through experience and reps. We shall see.
If we need a bunch of 3 year starters back there to adequately defend the pass then we need to change what we’re doing.

We were really bad against some very average passing QBs, and a lot of that was also toward the end of the season. On passing plays, it was either a pick or we got picked apart.

Advertisement

I REALLY like Ford....

Bethel will be the DT version of Trent Harris. Always discounted and underappreciated

100 % agree. Very skeptical that the striker position is going to improve our pass D. Need to have 3 corners out there and im not even sure that will fix our pass D. We just get torn up in the middle of the field, Manny needs to figure it out.

Advertisement
I’m not at all worried about our DL/DT talent barring significant injuries. If we continue to let average QBs shred us in the throw game we are going to struggle to be a good D. We got chewed the fck up way too often last year in the throw game.

Come to think of it, I actually like what our DTs can bring from a pass rush perspective better than I liked last year’s group.
Facts

Yeah not worried but DL this year but we need to get kids to stay these next few years to get where we need to be. **** Tito graded out the same as Norton last year and he'll be 2nd or 3rd string on this team.

Advertisement
Back