Who's Our Striker?

gcane44

Junior
There have been rumblings since Spring about the addition of the "Striker" role to the defense. We're not running a 4-2-5, but we have hints of it by adapting the 4-3 to include more of a hybrid Nickel/LB in the spot traditionally reserved for the Strong-side linebacker. This is a direct response to our issues in defending the short passing game, particularly when teams would be spread out and result in alignment of the SAM backer out over the slot or in space. The Striker calls for a player who can be more adept to handle what will be thrown at us on 50/50 downs and ideally make us less susceptible to simply scheming to exploit the SAM backer in coverage/space.

As such, the Striker needs to be someone with coverage skills in space, but the size, strength, and tackling ability to take on blockers (inline TE) without getting washed out of position and make tackles in run support.

All of the early talk was that Derrick Smith was likely to be that guy. As a true freshman he got reps towards the latter half of the season as a nickel back for us. This was likely the beginnings of Diaz wanting to implement this sort of response to what teams were doing to us. He had mixed results.

This spring, the talk was that Derrick Smith and Romeo Finley were both getting major reps at the Striker spot. The resulting rhetoric that we heard was that both were competing, with Smith looking stronger in pass coverage and Finley looking stronger in run support. Finley ended Spring at the top of the depth chart at the Striker spot.

Many of us that follow recruiting are familiar with Finley and Smith's skillsets and HS tapes. But, I think it's worth revisiting their tapes because now we're looking at them through a new lens. We're no longer looking to evaluate them solely as safeties, but rather for this new position in our defense.

Both guys have good size and athleticism for the position:

Derrick Smith - 6'2 215
Romeo Finley 6'1 215

So, based on the tape below and what we've seen and heard of these guys during their time at Miami, what do you all think? Who's best suited to get the majority of the reps at this role and how will they perform?

Romeo Finley

Derrick Smith

Advertisement
Given that we were eaten up in the short passing game the latter part of 2017 season, I would surmise then that Smith has the upper edge going into Fall camp. But that’s just a guess at this point; he is a thumper too tho

both are good fits but smith is the more versatile player out of the two in terms of ball skills, he’s athletic, can run,hit. I like His potential at free safety more than Finley. Whereas Finley is more of an in the box guy and can see why he excelled there in the spring

seems Finley more physical with the run and Smith better coverage skills. If we were to somehow fuse them through some advanced biotechnology we would have our perfect striker. I would expect both see time depending on game situations.

Advertisement
I love Derrick smiths upside and ability to cover and well as fill the box in the run game.

The question I have is Zach McCloud athletic enough to also play this role.

I love Derrick smiths upside and ability to cover and well as fill the box in the run game.

The question I have is Zach McCloud athletic enough to also play this role.

I'd like to see what happens with the traditional SAMs. In theory, I'd like for us to use the Striker as part of our base defense (i think it's trending that way), and just have McCloud come in as the SAM for obvious run situations.

If that were to be the case, I'd like to see McCloud train at the other LB spots, as well (particularly Mike). I'm even intrigued by the idea of him competing for the starting Mike spot in the 2019 season after Shaq presumably leaves for the NFL

I'd like to see what happens with the traditional SAMs. In theory, I'd like for us to use the Striker as part of our base defense (i think it's trending that way), and just have McCloud come in as the SAM for obvious run situations.

If that were to be the case, I'd like to see McCloud train at the other LB spots, as well (particularly Mike). I'm even intrigued by the idea of him competing for the starting Mike spot in the 2019 season after Shaq presumably leaves for the NFL
Yeah he definitely needs to be trained at the other 2 spots especially if we employ the striker role more. With that being geared more likely towards finely or smith.

Since I haven't seen enough of either to give my preference, I will say I'm excited for both because we become faster in guarding the middle, slot and RB and WR screens.

Advertisement

Or could we put McCloud on the weak side to spell Pinckney? Then we can keep the speed on the field with striker. Good to have options.

Interesting thought, and I suppose true given McCloud is doubtful going to the NFL until after his Sr season. I wonder though, does he have the mentality to play the Mike position?

Advertisement
Advertisement
seems Finley more physical with the run and Smith better coverage skills. If we were to somehow fuse them through some advanced biotechnology we would have our perfect striker. I would expect both see time depending on game situations.
A hybrid hybrid?

I would be really surprised if Finley beats out Smith long-term. He just can't move the way Smith can against shiftier slots. Coachspeak about how guys "do what they're told and the right things" during practice and offseason only go so far...

...and then there are live games against opponents who attack weaknesses.

From what I've seen, outside of the obvious Bandy and Jaquan options (who are needed elsewhere) at Nickel, Smith is the best option to change direction, carry #2 WRs with any kind of legit depth and also come up and make tackles. If someone like Gurvan Hall makes a tremendous mental move to meet his physical potential, I can see him taking some Safety duties and allowing JJ to play some Nickel in key spots and overall be used creatively.

Lot of moving pieces we need to figure out really f'in quickly.

Advertisement
Back