Who Ya Got? Morris or Covington?

Advertisement
Had a heated debate over a couple hundred pops the other night as to who you'd take at QB with all else being equal- Snickers or Scott Covington? I tried to end the debate by stating that Covington wins the Dook debacle last season and may even take another NFL snap before Snickers even dresses for the Jags but some clown jumped in and said he'd take Ryan Clement over both. Who would you take?

Tough choice. Could Morris beat East Carolina?

Swing and a miss. You think Covington could beat Duke?

Covington helped beat the #2 team in the country in 1998.

Covington won his bowl game.

What bowl did Morris win? What top ranked opponent did Morris help beat?

Covington all day.

Morris with Fisch

Morris with Fisch was just as bad as Morris with Coley.

Agreed. I think "Morris with Fisch" is sometimes mistakenly viewed as "What will thought Morris might eventually become". That obviously never materialized.

No he wasn't. Morris had a hundred balls dropped his junior year. So many big ones too. He looked lost at times toward the end of the year and I never saw that in '12. That being said, the question was him or Covington, not would Stephen Morris have been an AA with Fisch.

Advertisement
Covington helped beat the #2 team in the country in 1998.

Covington won his bowl game.

What bowl did Morris win? What top ranked opponent did Morris help beat?

Covington all day.

This plus a few other things. If we look at the stats from the years that both were the starters they're pretty much a wash:

Covington
1998 (11 games) 159/270 58.9% 19 TD's 8 INT's 147.8 Passer Rating

Morris
2012 (12 games) 245/421 58.2% 21 TD's 7 INT's 138.1 Passer Rating
2013 (13 games) 198/344 57.6% 21 TD's 12 INT's 144.7 Passer Rating

Plus, in 1998 we got destroyed at Syracuse (I'm discounting the East Carolina travesty as it was in 1996 and that wasn't his team) but ended the year ranked by beating a really good UCLA team that finished the year ranked in the top 10 and destroying NC State in our bowl game in which Covington was the MVP. He then went on to win the Senior Bowl MVP and had a much longer than expected NFL career. I'm not even making the case that Covington was anything but average to good (sometimes) and Morris was pretty much just average- which we misread and had more expectations than were deserved or panned out.

Last edited:
I'm all about game management QBs, so Morris was like constant torture for me.

Both of them had accuracy issues. With the current talent on the roster I like Morris for his ability to throw the football down the field. I don't think you want to run a conservative style with Coley, Dorsett and Duke in the backfield.

Advertisement
Had a heated debate over a couple hundred pops the other night as to who you'd take at QB with all else being equal- Snickers or Scott Covington? I tried to end the debate by stating that Covington wins the Dook debacle last season and may even take another NFL snap before Snickers even dresses for the Jags but some clown jumped in and said he'd take Ryan Clement over both. Who would you take?

Hold up! It's Morris' fault why we lost to Duke? Hahaa wow... When will we realize that qb hasn't been an issue since 2010? Duke was running on us like no tomorrow...

Hold up! It's Morris' fault why we lost to Duke? Hahaa wow... When will we realize that qb hasn't been an issue since 2010? Duke was running on us like no tomorrow...

I never said it was his fault we lost. In my eyes he did nothing to win that game though and pulled either the ultimate sissy or me-first move when he ran out of bounds late in a one score game on 3rd and 4 a yard short of the first. That's when I lost any respect I had left for the kid. Sure, you might not have the greatest football IQ or whatever and be kinda soft but don't combine those traits with an attitude of self preservation.

Morris with Fisch

Morris with Fisch was just as bad as Morris with Coley.

Agreed. I think "Morris with Fisch" is sometimes mistakenly viewed as "What will thought Morris might eventually become". That obviously never materialized.

No he wasn't. Morris had a hundred balls dropped his junior year. So many big ones too. He looked lost at times toward the end of the year and I never saw that in '12. That being said, the question was him or Covington, not would Stephen Morris have been an AA with Fisch.

Dorsett did have a lot dropped balls on his end and the one that sticks out the ND game where he dropped quite a few balls.

Advertisement

Ryan Clement ('96) and Kenny Kelly ('99) lost to ECU, not Covington.

A healthy Morris as it went... but Covington if he had been a 3-year starter.

Advertisement
Lol at Covington because of the ucla game. I admit he didn't do anything to hurt us during the game but having the best rb in Miami Hurricanes history was the **** reason

Lol at Covington because of the ucla game. I admit he didn't do anything to hurt us during the game but having the best rb in Miami Hurricanes history was the **** reason

Covington was my favorite qb... I was only like 9 or 10 when he was the qb... That being said, it was my favorite and goat back in school's history who beat UCLA... We don't have anyone remotely close to Edge's talent... He beat UCLA by himself...

Advertisement
Back