Who will replace Wong and Portal analysis (video)

Advertisement
Great point that we already have some contenders for Wong replacements on the current roster. Any insight into Jakai Robinson and how he is developing?

We have to go all in to get Cleveland from fsu to replace Jordan Miller. He may be better than Miller when it is all said and done. Would be absolutely HUGE!

I agree that Watson can likely replace Wong. We need a transfer portal guy to replace Miller.

Summary:

Mostly softball questions at first.

Rightful praise for Zay. One of the greatest players at UM. Great work ethic. Kept referring to tremendous attitude.

Says we have 9 on scholarship. But I count 8. Says reevaluating transfer portal daily.

When pressed on backcourt, only mentioned Benz, Wooga and Nijel. Two interpretations: either he’s not sold on Watson and/or Jakai or it’s more historical upperclassman bias. Looking to add “one” to backcourt either way.

L leans on assistants for portal evaluations/targets. They need to fit his criteria.

Sounds like Nijel, Wooga Norchad are returning. No guarantees though. Walker/Aire/Danilo returning never brought up.

No mention of portal names (obviously).

“Recent success” breeds success in the portal. Nothing specific though.

Advertisement
Timberlake isn’t coming here. I don’t believe we ever reached out. UConn or maybe Kansas. He’s announcing this week most likely.

Estrada isn’t either. He just canceled an FSU visit. I’d guess Cincinnati.

Not much info on Hart really other than returning to Maryland sounds unlikely. Who knows.

Cleveland is Cleveland. I’d guess he’s looking for the NIL money.

No word on how the Amzil visit went. But with Beran scheduled…

Timberlake isn’t coming here. I don’t believe we ever reached out. UConn or maybe Kansas. He’s announcing this week most likely.

Estrada isn’t either. He just canceled an FSU visit. I’d guess Cincinnati.

Not much info on Hart really other than returning to Maryland sounds unlikely. Who knows.

Cleveland is Cleveland. I’d guess he’s looking for the NIL money.

No word on how the Amzil visit went. But with Beran scheduled…
Seems like we don't have the momentum in the portal this year unlike last year. Are the rumors true that the NIL money is drying up? That said, Wong only officially left yesterday. Maybe that changes things for the guards? Estrada would start. Timberlake maybe. But Joseph would give him a run. Timberlake seems like a better three point shooter but suspect defensively. But I just watched clips of him.

Advertisement
Don’t believe Amzil made the trip from what I know. That one is unlikely

In the mix for Beran

Cleveland visiting sooner rather than later
Amzil's quotes pre-visit made it sound like was expecting to start wherever he ended up landing at. Wonder if the Cleveland recruitment heating up scared him off?

Advertisement
Summary:

Mostly softball questions at first.

Rightful praise for Zay. One of the greatest players at UM. Great work ethic. Kept referring to tremendous attitude.

Says we have 9 on scholarship. But I count 8. Says reevaluating transfer portal daily.

When pressed on backcourt, only mentioned Benz, Wooga and Nijel. Two interpretations: either he’s not sold on Watson and/or Jakai or it’s more historical upperclassman bias. Looking to add “one” to backcourt either way.

L leans on assistants for portal evaluations/targets. They need to fit his criteria.

Sounds like Nijel, Wooga Norchad are returning. No guarantees though. Walker/Aire/Danilo returning never brought up.

No mention of portal names (obviously).

“Recent success” breeds success in the portal. Nothing specific though.
Watson is like 6'9" he is closer to a frontcourt player than a backcourt player. I think if there's an internal replacement for Miller its Watson, but that position still needs a transfer or two because our 4/5 depth was the weakest part of the team last season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back