Who Were the Other REALISTIC Options in 2010?

Everyone was mocking a Trestman hire proclaiming they didnt want a dude who looked like a pedophile as HC. Half the board was clueless he was a former coach here on a title team.

Love the Monday morning know it alls in this thread.

Advertisement
I don't think Sumlin ever interviewed. I DO remember his name coming up for an OC search, when we ended up with Patrick Nix or something. Can you imagine what the guy would do down here? Missed the boat on that one.

As ****** as Edsall was, you can only LOL @ him schooling AG in his first game

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember Kosar pushing for Trestmen but Al's pillars won out. I like Trestmen, but still think he'd definitely have a hard time recruiting at UM. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time, AG was a way better candidate.

How about who were realistic options in 2007...Cutcliffe?

If we think recruiting might have been an issue for Trestman then I can't really see how Cutcliffe would ever even be considered here- in the current state (or even back then) of our program. Sure, Uncle Larry looks like he could be Cutcliffe's cousin but Uncle Larry was also handed the keys to a mansion.

The other candidates were: trestman, Golden (obviously), mark stoops, Edsall, Richt, tubberville, cristobal schiano, mullen.. And i think veneables.. the runner up behind Golden was trestman

Advertisement
The only issue I remember with Trestman was recruiting (like some folks have already pointed out here).

If I knew then what I know now...

One of the members of the search committee, forget which one, said some or all of the committee members were turned off by Mullen. Something along the lines of "He thinks he invented football."

Interesting to see if he is the next UF coach. State has a good team with the right schedule this year. That combination should make him a hot commodity.

One of the members of the search committee, forget which one, said some or all of the committee members were turned off by Mullen. Something along the lines of "He thinks he invented football."

Interesting to see if he is the next UF coach. State has a good team with the right schedule this year. That combination should make him a hot commodity.

I would think that he is near the top of UFs list, if not the top.

FWIW, I want a guy with attitude. He would have been good here. Hopefully next time we make a hire we don't go safe like the last 3 hires.

I absolutely remember hearing negativity about Mullen being leaked during the search.

Venables was definitely a name that was a hot rumor then too. Completely forgot about him.

Advertisement
My guy was Gus Malzahn. He was pretty much universally dismissed because he had no head coaching experience. Woops.

Advertisement
Kevin sumlin interviewed and we hired golden? Wut the **** is that about

I don't know if he interviewed, but he was coming off a 5-7 year at Houston.

They were 5-7 because Case Keenum tore his ACL in their 3rd game. They were ranked in the top 25 when he got hurt. They eventually were down to their 3rd string QB for most of the season, hence 5-7. With Keenum back, they went 12-1 the next year.

Advertisement
Back