Who Were the Other REALISTIC Options in 2010?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Let's remove Butch from the equation. Who were the other names that were on that coach search list? Not who you WANTED but who were REALISTIC choices that may have taken the job. The only names I can remember are Tuberville, Dan Mullen (maybe), Bo Pelini and this maniac:

CFGKyeVndpxZXdH-556x313-noPad.jpg

Advertisement
I honestly thought Brady Hoke was a legit option for us and thought he'd do good things at Meatchicken. Good thing I don't get asked for advice on coaching hires.

Who the **** is that guy?

And I think it was Tubberville (wanted to get the **** out of Texas Tech).

Dan Mullen was never coming here. He just wanted more money from Miss. State.

Who the **** is that guy?

And I think it was Tubberville (wanted to get the **** out of Texas Tech).

Dan Mullen was never coming here. He just wanted more money from Miss. State.

That guy is Wayne Gretzky's brother, Randy. He was going to be our "name ID" pick.

trestman.jpg

Advertisement
Marc Trestman
Wasn't it kind of general opinion it would be Trestman and then poof they announced Al Golden. Everybody was like who is Al Golden?

It would stand to reason that we'd turn down a guy that must have aced his NFL interview. Yet we actually sat through an interview with a wordsmith like Randy Shannon once AND promoted him. I'd really like someone to ask Trestman the exact process he went through here.

And truth be told, I wasn't high on Trestman at the time and am obvioulsy playing the result now. That said, a freaking NFL team hired the guy after we supposedly turned him down.

Advertisement
This school's first priority was a good behavior high APR coach, so it limited our options. The type of coaches we can get depends on what the admin wants, which since Donna took over has been graduation rates. Golden holds the record for greatest APR turnaround in history, and thus was their number one choice. Randy had great APR rankings as well.

I don't like the word "realistic" bc it implies we can't hire good coaches. We can, but it's not the first priority.

Advertisement
Golden, Trestman, Randy Esdall, and Kevin Sumlin.

Is what I heard

Ahhh yeah, I forgot Edsall. I'm sure that would have ended well.

That was the only guy mentioned so far that scared me more than Golden. I'm an atheist, but I prayed we wouldn't hire Edsall.

I was very leery of a Trestman hire. The guy had been away from college football too long, IMO. College football imposes that requirement of sucking up to recruits that is absent in the professional leagues.

Tuberville would have been the safe hire, and I thought that was who we would probably get. I wish I had been right. We would be in better shape right now, IMO.

Take it from someone who follows the CFL I really wanted Marc Trestman here. He had just won back-to-back Grey Cups and his offenses torched everyone. The only concern I had was his recruiting abilities.

Advertisement
Take it from someone who follows the CFL I really wanted Marc Trestman here. He had just won back-to-back Grey Cups and his offenses torched everyone. The only concern I had was his recruiting abilities.

That was my exact hesitation too and it may have been partly unfair based on his physical appearance. The mindset then was "We have to go to Canada for a guy so far removed from the college game that looks like THIS?". Perhaps the Bears didn't need to get a guy that gave good interview as much as we did at the time.

Advertisement
Back