Who was Traz Powell?

1978. We practiced behind the baseball stadium on the grass of the little league field. Yes, we played on Beach High's field. I was at Polo Park almost everyday after school from North Beach or Nautilus.
Where was Beach High's field? Are you talking about at Flamingo Park? Beach had a practice field at the school when I was there.

Polo Park was at Nautilus. They had the same field. There was a polo player statue at the corner. When I was in Junior high somebody climbed up on the statue and pulled a jock strap over the horse's face kind of like it was a feed bag. It stayed there for a while. We thought it was a riot.

Advertisement
Ok. Different approach. He tried to buy an Israeli vacation but was told sorry, no room.
No I figured it out. Meyer was in the "rackets." If you were on the ball, you would have noticed another thread recently where I mentioned him. I exchanged a number of posts with DaytonaCane whose late husband was a UM running back in the late '50's, early '60's. Her husband, Doug, did meet Lansky once. Actually, in recent years I discovered that Lansky's stepson shot a guy I used to know as a kid. Then the stepson was killed. Later, the older brother, a guy I did not like, Craig Teriaca, disappeared in a mob hit. The Teriacas lived close to us in Bay Harbor. Did not know at the time that their father was a Mafia guy.

This all happened fairly recently, not when I lived there fifty years ago..

Do you remember the Danny Goldman disappearance? Used to see him at the school bus stop as a little kid.

https://surfsidekidnapping.org/site/

EDIT: Actually, it was the younger brother, Craig who was killed by Lansky's stepson at the Forge Restaurant on Arthur Godfrey Avenue.

The older brother, Gary, was the kid I did not like. I think he disappeared some time later from Bal Harbour and no one really knows what happened (except those directly involved).

Hard to remember the details like names so many years later. Also get the LaMotta kids mixed up. Knew both when very young. Those two boys died relatively young. They were both very nice kids, even tempered, as I remember. There father was a savage in the ring.

Last edited:
I went to Nautilus. Was Polo Park separate from the athletic fields at Nautilus? I guess the school shared the fields with the park system.

I remember a little building at the far end from the school which I guess administered the park.

I remember when Neal Walk wasn't good enough to make junior high basketball team.
The "shack" at Polo Park was where the potheads would smoke weed before class at Nautilus.

It's not there. They moved the school entrance for the new school to 42nd Street and put parking and pickup where the entrance to the old school used to be. And they moved the pink polo guy on his horse down that way as well. The tennis courts are gone too as the school is there now.

Advertisement
No I figured it out. Meyer was in the "rackets." If you were on the ball, you would have noticed another thread recently where I mentioned him. I exchanged a number of posts with DaytonaCane whose late husband was a UM running back in the late '50's, early '60's. Her husband, Doug, did meet Lansky once. Actually, in recent years I discovered that Lansky's stepson shot a guy I used to know as a kid. Then the stepson was killed. Later, the older brother, a guy I did not like, Craig Teriaca, disappeared in a mob hit. The Teriacas lived close to us in Bay Harbor. Did not know at the time that their father was a Mafia guy.

Do you remember the Danny Goldman disappearance? Used to see him at the school bus stop as a little kid.

My grandfather was friends with Lansky and i met him various times growing up. They both had cabanas at the Eden Roc.

The killing you are talking about is fact. Lansky's wife Teddi's son killed the mob dude's son over drugs... I believe at the Forge but I'd have to ask my father who is still here for a little bit longer. To keep the peace, Lansky had to turn a blind eye when his stepson was whacked.

The mobster you are talking about liked my dad as my father was a good customer in his youth at the Dream Lounge which I believe the mobster owned. I think that's the father of the guy killed.

RVA is old School Miami Beach like you.

Now you fire! This is TheMatador I've enjoyed reading like a fine history book that nobody else has.

Great info! No recollection on Goldman. But, one of Meyer's "gofers" from 60's became my barber in 90's. Small World when you willing to listen and learn from elders and more informed folk. I always enjoyed hearing stories that Anyone had, has.

Not many people like you with knowledge and capacity to write so vividly on such a wide canvas!! You the man!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Now you fire! This is TheMatador I've enjoyed reading like a fine history book that nobody else has.

Great info! No recollection on Goldman. But, one of Meyer's "gofers" from 60's became my barber in 90's. Small World when you willing to listen and learn from elders and more informed folk. I always enjoyed hearing stories that Anyone had, has.

Not many people like you with knowledge and capacity to write so vividly on such a wide canvas!! You the man!
It was a different world and day way back when in Miami Beach. My grandfather was a prominent figure there and he shared many stories. It was a unique place. Still is but so many changes.

It was a different world and day way back when in Miami Beach. My grandfather was a prominent figure there and he shared many stories. It was a unique place. Still is but so many changes.
10000% Where earlier I posted about Miamuh being crackerville, Beach anything but. Amazing what some bridges, attitudes and EDUCATION can do.

Hope you saw my Edit...Garcia
I believe my cousin used to play basketball with Andy Garcia. My cousin graduated Beach in the same class as him and they're about 10 years older than me. I did have the same drama teacher as him though. Jay Jenson taught drama at Beach High and also Beth Sholom which was my synagogue.

I believe my cousin used to play basketball with Andy Garcia. My cousin graduated Beach in the same class as him and they're about 10 years older than me. I did have the same drama teacher as him though. Jay Jenson taught drama at Beach High and also Beth Sholom which was my synagogue.
So you must have some chops, because isn't that the guy Andy gave all props to?

Advertisement
Back