Who was Traz Powell?

Rotf.....I think we have all had a version of that Mr clean type coach. Mine would be twirling his wistle while making time with the girl's coach or a teacher on break.

Do any of you guys know Mickey Rourke? He was pretty tight with Beach power irc.
I don't know Mickey Rourke.

The coach was a short, lean, white haired, bronze skinned, Greek barking dude who was rumoured to have lost a nut in the Korean War and that's what made him so brutal.

I later confirmed with a relative of his who I met when I was in my 30's that the lost a nut in the war thing was untrue.

Advertisement
I don't know Mickey Rourke.

The coach was a short, lean, white haired, bronze skinned, Greek barking dude who was rumoured to have lost a nut in the Korean War and that's what made him so brutal.

I later confirmed with a relative of his who I met when I was in my 30's that the lost a nut in the war thing was untrue.
Thank Goodness for that...for a second, He was a "Nutless Nut".....

Kooch was a good dude once he got away from bullying junior high school students during PE....

After my family moved to Skylake at the end of 7th grade (AKA my Senior Year)....I used to run into Kooch at playing pool at Congress Bowl near 125th and Biscayne....He contributed to my delinquency....

Still convinced that Kooch was somehow behind/responsible for the murder committed by Darrell Agrella and Ronny Zamora, two of Nautilus Jr High's Best and Brightest....
I knew Zamora's younger brother Manny Zamora when I was at North Beach. He was 2 years behind me and used to play at Polo Park too. I remember that whole TV Violence defense and Ellis Rubin.

If you were living in Skylake I guess you went to NMB. I had a few friends there and at North Miami. What year?

On an even more broad scale and especially applicable to South Florida (as many have mentioned), it really is a shame how many people don't know the history and appreciate the intended honor that went behind the naming of a lot of places and landmarks that have been part of their lives for years and years.

I'm a history junkie too but can be guilty of it as well. I recently only took the 3 seconds required on the Google machine to learn about the person Sistrunk Blvd was named after- which now I'm sure sadly puts me in the vast minority of Broward County residents.

I'd say less than 1% know.

I'd place a dollar .01% know.

On an even more broad scale and especially applicable to South Florida (as many have mentioned), it really is a shame how many people don't know the history and appreciate the intended honor that went behind the naming of a lot of places and landmarks that have been part of their lives for years and years.

I'm a history junkie too but can be guilty of it as well. I recently only took the 3 seconds required on the Google machine to learn about the person Sistrunk Blvd was named after- which now I'm sure sadly puts me in the vast minority of Broward County residents.
When we were kids, history wasn't a priority. Playing sports and chasing girls were our major concerns. As we've gotten older, nostalgia sets in and history becomes more meaningful and interesting. Besides, my wife would frown on me chasing girls nowadays and these old knees are bruised and battered.

Advertisement
Many of you probably know. Some might not.

I always kind of remembered seeing his name among outstanding Dade players in high school. (I think I saw his name on some lists along with Willis McGahee Sr., a stud DL at the segregated Mays HS I think in the late '60's). I knew he played at FAMU but didn't remember much else.

http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?a=headlines&p=display&news=2895

Unfortunately, the underlying article, from the American Airlines magazine, is no longer available at the link.

I moved away from South Florida the same year the stadium was built, 1963. I never really understood the significance of the stadium since it became a major venue after I left.

This story might be interesting to some of you.

I do remember when the Orange Blossom Classic was a major event in the OB along with the North-South Shrine Classic and the Orange Bowl Game. The Orange Blossom Classic was played every year between FAMU and a major historically Black college from around the country. It would often be another major power like Grambling, Prairie View, Jackson State, Morgan State or any one if a number of others.

EDIT: http://www.sfltimes.com/uncategorized/fans-coaches-athletes-reminisce-about-the-historic-orange-blossom-classic

The North-South game featured a lot of very good college seniors from around the country. Because there were so few bowls, unlike now, many top college players went to one of the major all-star fames (North-South, East-West, Blue-Gray, Senior Bowl.) I think some players played on more than one. Also, around July, the top college seniors would play in Chicago against the NFL champions. Very occasionally, the college all-stars won. But not often.

I don't know when these all star games ended. I guess some still play. I remember for a few years the OB hosted a Runner-Up Bowl for the next two teams in the NFL.

This is the post of the year right here..very well thought out.

Thank you. He's dealt with Leukemia, Sepsis and Chrohn's in the past year. He's 81 and down to 125 pounds. I went home 2 weeks ago to see him and my grandmother who is turning 97. It's hard for me to watch the deterioration. I see them sporadically so it's always sobering to me.
Sorry to hear about your Dad RVA. It's never easy being witness to our parents suffering. Hang in there my friend.

My father was 94 when his kidneys failed him. At that age, a transplant wasn't an option. He was such a vibrant personality with a great attitude. Living 900 miles from him was difficult. I went to see him a few months before his passing. I'll never forget what he said to me; "Son, I've had a great life. Got great kids I'm very proud of and lived longer than I probably should have. I have no fear when the time comes. Although it would be cool to make it to 95!" He did. He passed about a month after his 95th.

I hope my story brings a smile and a short respite from the troubles of the day.

I knew Zamora's younger brother Manny Zamora when I was at North Beach. He was 2 years behind me and used to play at Polo Park too. I remember that whole TV Violence defense and Ellis Rubin.

If you were living in Skylake I guess you went to NMB. I had a few friends there and at North Miami. What year?
As I recall, when we were kids, the Ronny Zamora trial was ...I guess viral is the term they would use today...Closed circuit TV in the courtroom....Used to watch the proceedings daily....

When we lived in Miami Beach, I was North Bay Island/Treasure Island Elementary though I got bused to North Beach 2X/week in 5th and 6th for Gifted ....I am still very close to the Beach High kids I grew up with and see them several times a year....

In Skylake, we moved to a small section that used to be called Oak Forest, which was between 199th and 21st and 202nd and 24th....So, too far north for North Miami .... That Skylake/Aventura was extremely new at the time....The kids from that area didn't have the roots of the Miami Beach kids and really scattered after graduation

NMB 1981....

As I recall, when we were kids, the Ronny Zamora trial was ...I guess viral is the term they would use today...Closed circuit TV in the courtroom....Used to watch the proceedings daily....

When we lived in Miami Beach, I was North Bay Island/Treasure Island Elementary though I got bused to North Beach 2X/week in 5th and 6th for Gifted ....I am still very close to the Beach High kids I grew up with and see them several times a year....

In Skylake, we moved to a small section that used to be called Oak Forest, which was between 199th and 21st and 202nd and 24th....So, too far north for North Miami .... That Skylake/Aventura was extremely new at the time....The kids from that area didn't have the roots of the Miami Beach kids and really scattered after graduation

NMB 1981....

LoL, we had a house in Skylake. My brother and sister went to Ojus Elementary in the early 60s. My Pie Pizza was the hang out of Beach kids in the late 70s. Long since gone and overrun by Aventura.

Advertisement

NMB 1981....
I knew Beach kids you probably knew and some NMB kids too. I was 3 years behind you so you were probably in gifted at North Beach with Ms. Feller or Mr. Boyle in 5th and 6th grade when i was in 2nd and 3rd grade.

LoL, we had a house in Skylake. My brother and sister went to Ojus Elementary in the early 60s. My Pie Pizza was the hang out of Beach kids in the late 70s. Long since gone and overrun by Aventura.
I remember My Pi well. It was over on 163rd and Sunny Isles. That overpass probably wiped it out.

I remember My Pi well. It was over on 163rd and Sunny Isles. That overpass probably wiped it out.
Beach High and NMB kids had a big rivalry when I was in high school. There were a couple of big brawls after football games. One was in front of My Pi and the other on the street in front of Figaros...The two places that NMB kids hung out after football games....All I recall are some of my Beach High buddies taking off the clogs and trying to use them as weapons....Didn't end well for Beach....

Other then the aforementioned fights on 163rd st NMB and Beach kids got along pretty well...The Beach kids used to drive their mopeds up to a couple of houses where we congregated on Friday and Saturday nights....Not exactly Marlon Brando in The Wild One....

Yeah. I think that area of Skylake where it sounds like you liked....Down closer to Miami Gardens Dr and Ojus....Was built up earlier...Construction must have moved north and then finally east over Biscayne....I know when I moved up there in 1976, there was nothing east of Biscayne near 203rd (Ives Dairy Rd)....Then Turnberry started to sprout up..then the Aventura Mall...and Aventura....Ives Dairy widened from a 2 lane to a 6 lane...and...sheesh, what a zoo it is today....

Advertisement
Beach High and NMB kids had a big rivalry when I was in high school. There were a couple of big brawls after football games. One was in front of My Pi and the other on the street in front of Figaros...The two places that NMB kids hung out after football games....All I recall are some of my Beach High buddies taking off the clogs and trying to use them as weapons....Didn't end well for Beach....

Other then the aforementioned fights on 163rd st NMB and Beach kids got along pretty well...The Beach kids used to drive their mopeds up to a couple of houses where we congregated on Friday and Saturday nights....Not exactly Marlon Brando in The Wild One....
That My Pi fight was legendary. It was ahead of me but I remember hearing about it and i think Figaros too. I saw my friend do pretty well against some NMB goons at Loehmann's once though Beach kids had to tread carefully there. I think NMB hated North Miami even more.

Stuff happens so quickly. We had a bad brawl in South Miami at a party where Killian/Palmetto wrestlers were waiting when we showed up. Total set up by a girls Club on our group (club). I saw a cop grab my friend in the melee and my friend turn around and swung unknowingly punching the cop. It didnt end well for him. That shît would happen so fast.

Clogs and Mopeds??...Wtf??...What were they Dutch??

Advertisement
That My Pi fight was legendary. It was ahead of me but I remember hearing about it and i think Figaros too. I saw my friend do pretty well against some NMB goons at Loehmann's once though Beach kids had to tread carefully there. I think NMB hated North Miami even more.

Stuff happens so quickly. We had a bad brawl in South Miami at a party where Killian/Palmetto wrestlers were waiting when we showed up. Total set up by a girls Club on our group (club). I saw a cop grab my friend in the melee and my friend turn around and swung unknowingly punching the cop. It didnt end well for him. That shît would happen so fast.
The My Pi fight was legendary...a surprising number of people still remember that night 40 years later....Probably because most of the combatants were basically good kids and a huge brawl that spread out into 163rd St was kind of shocking behavior, though there were some junior thugs on both sides....

Beach High and North Miami were the main two NMB rivals....In football, we all sucked, so the rivalries weren't super heated other than a couple of isolated instances, including the fight at My Pie after a football game....

Wow! He probably played with Bobby Goldberg who was a running back my Mom's year (Class of 1960).
Back then, they were not the Hi-Tides, but the Typhoons, most likely.

Don't remember Jimmy Dooley.

One guy I knew well from that era was Lou Hayes, about Class of '58. I worked with Lou as a day camp counselor at the rec center in Surfside. My first real job. Made $12.25 a week.

Lou was a jack of all trades at the rec center, did pool work, etc. There was another guy working there whose name I can't recall. Leading rusher for Beach and then played baseball at UM. Probably before Fraser. People don't realize that UM baseball was coached for a while by a baseball immortal, Jimmy Foxx, who was just behind Babe Ruth in HR in a season with 58. (Who was the other one, Hank Greenberg?) Younger people on here might not understand the significance of an earlier era of baseball greats. Pre-steroids, it was amazing to watch as Maris and Mantle chased those records. I'm not saying the great hitters of today are doing the stuff but the older guys were never developed the way current athletes are. That may be due to many other factors. Football players of earlier eras were never as big, fast and developed the way current athletes are.

I remember when UM had a tackle in the early '60's, Rowland "Rex" Benson, who was about 245 as listed in the game program. I was thinking how huge the guy was. Back then, a big OL or DL was 230 or so.

A big question people on the Beach considered was why Beach stunk so much in football. The best athletes wouldn't go out for football. One time, Coach Chuck Feinstein complained about this in an interview. Said "Stew Marcus could punt from here to the mainland," but he wouldn't go out for football. He was 6'4" and we'll put together. Played basketball at UM.

After that interview, some of the very good athletes from basketball showed up at spring practice but that was short-lived. There were some kids who were absolute studs in Optimist Little League football but they wouldn't come out for the team at Beach.

I used to deliver the old Miami Beach Sun newspaper. One day it reported that about 35 or so kids turned out for first day fall practice at Beach. It was typical for other schools, especially major powers to get maybe 85-125 if my memory serves me correctly.

To be blunt, back then, Beach was over 90% ******, and most of the ****** kids did not grow as large as the rest of the population. Most were one generation removed from the very small eastern European immigrants who inhabited South Beach in great numbers. One reason was the poor and very limited food sources and nutrition in eastern European of the time.

Over time, I think American Jews have caught up with rest of the population in size.

I remember a conversation with a guy a bit older than I was who said when they were in Junior high, the teams from the Beach (Nautilus and Ida Fisher) were very tough to beat. But Beach High football was not. The junior high sports were basketball, track and softball, but no football.

Still, I know that, from time to time, Beach produced some great athletes. I used to hear stories about Herb Rich who went to Tennessee or Vanderbilt, and then the New York Giants

EDIT: It was Vanderbilt and Rich became an All-Pro.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Rich
Still Beach, in my time (early '60's) was not good. I think they started to get better in football in late '60's and early '70's. Maybe that's when Vic Vaccaro came back to Beach to be head coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back