Who was Traz Powell?

So do you know Andy? You know, Jake's long lost pops?

Edit: Just saw part of your dad. God Bless, you are fortunate to still have and he must be proud of you too.
Thank you. He's dealt with Leukemia, Sepsis and Chrohn's in the past year. He's 81 and down to 125 pounds. I went home 2 weeks ago to see him and my grandmother who is turning 97. It's hard for me to watch the deterioration. I see them sporadically so it's always sobering to me.

Advertisement
So you must have some chops, because isn't that the guy Andy gave all props to?
I just took drama at Sunday school where he taught. Andy was serious about it.

Jay Jenson was a very interesting guy too. I think he ended up with a transsexual stripper or something like that. His mother knew my grandparents. People didnt know that he inherited everything and was extremely wealthy from his mother.

Where was Beach High's field? Are you talking about at Flamingo Park? Beach had a practice field at the school when I was there.

Polo Park was at Nautilus. They had the same field. There was a polo player statue at the corner. When I was in Junior high somebody climbed up on the statue and pulled a jock strap over the horse's face kind of like it was a feed bag. It stayed there for a while. We thought it was a riot.

Yes, Beach still plays at Flamingo Park. Yes, we practiced on the side field at the high school. The high school has been modified and rebuilt. Nautilus is a new structure. Last time I saw the polo statute it was ripped up and by the side parking lot.

Thank you. He's dealt with Leukemia, Sepsis and Chrohn's in the past year. He's 81 and down to 125 pounds. I went home 2 weeks ago to see him and my grandmother who is turning 97. It's hard for me to watch the deterioration. I see them sporadically so it's always sobering to me.
My heartfelt compassion.

Seen Father and Uncle lose that weight for different reasons (stroke and lung C) and you can't do squat. Puts it all in sharp perspective of what you "take" and what you "leave". Reading other posters, CIS seems to be a tonic of sorts, I know it has been for me too.

I come from a family of 50's through 80's Hi Tides.

My cousin played safety at Beach in the late 50s. He ended up All-City his senior year. His name is Jimmy Dooley. No relation the Miami Hurricane defensive back and former Chicago Bears coach. He played against Mira and Boog Powell when they went to Key West. He said Powell was a man among boys.

Advertisement
My cousin played safety at Beach in the late 50s. He ended up All-City his senior year. His name is Jimmy Dooley. No relation the Miami Hurricane defensive back and former Chicago Bears coach. He played against Mira and Boog Powell when they went to Key West. He said Powell was a man among boys.

Wow! He probably played with Bobby Goldberg who was a running back my Mom's year (Class of 1960).

Now that I know how you feel about the peeps who hung at the "Shack", TY for not down voting me spelling it "HIGH". I was told longtime ago, always forward never straight lol.
I get it legally now.
giphy (13).gif

Advertisement
I believe my cousin used to play basketball with Andy Garcia. My cousin graduated Beach in the same class as him and they're about 10 years older than me. I did have the same drama teacher as him though. Jay Jenson taught drama at Beach High and also Beth Sholom which was my synagogue.
Kids used to mistake me for Ronnie Kronish all the time.

Now I remember Jensen.

I might seen some internet stuff on him a few years ago. If I find it again I'll post...

I gotta go do some other stuff....I'll get back on this thread again. There's the other history thread I was on with DaytonaCane. I might post something and bring it forward.

Now I remember Jensen.

I might seen some internet stuff on him a few years ago. If I find it again I'll post.
Leon Kronish married my parents and bar mitzvahed me

Advertisement

Now I remember Jensen.

I might seen some internet stuff on him a few years ago. If I find it again I'll post.
Maybe mistaking with the music teacher, but somebody passed and I thought statue going up...but I'm batting below the mendoza line lately

Advertisement
Doug Burris ran the rock ensemble.
My buddy, Mac, was the Assistant Director of RE for a couple of decades under Burris....That guy was a Beach High Deity....

All of the Nautilus/Polo Park talk is giving me flashbacks to Kooch making us be dressed out by the time the bell rang and ready to run the 600 around Polo Park...

My buddy, Mac, was the Assistant Director of RE for a couple of decades under Burris....That guy was a Beach High Deity....

All of the Nautilus/Polo Park talk is giving me flashbacks to Kooch making us be dressed out by the time the bell rang and ready to run the 600 around Polo Park...
DUDE!!!! Kooch used to butcher my name and give me the vulcan neck pinch.

He would dress in all white and sit on that bench under the tree and berate us as we ran laps.

He would dress in all white and sit on that bench under the tree and berate us as we ran laps.
Kooch was a good dude once he got away from bullying junior high school students during PE....

After my family moved to Skylake at the end of 7th grade (AKA my Senior Year)....I used to run into Kooch at playing pool at Congress Bowl near 125th and Biscayne....He contributed to my delinquency....

Still convinced that Kooch was somehow behind/responsible for the murder committed by Darrell Agrella and Ronny Zamora, two of Nautilus Jr High's Best and Brightest....

Last edited:

Rotf.....I think we have all had a version of that Mr clean type coach. Mine would be twirling his wistle while making time with the girl's coach or a teacher on break.

Do any of you guys know Mickey Rourke? He was pretty tight with Beach power irc.

Advertisement
Back