Who was the first Cane that used the term, The U?

The first Cane I ever seen throwing up the U was Edgerrin James.

But I always assumed Irvin, Hill, Highsmith & those boys in the 80's were the ones who started it, but I remember growing up watching the Canes in the mid to late 90's, that players were already doing it.
I agree throwing up the U is more recent... I don't remember Highsmith, Hill or Irvin or anybody back then doing it. To know for sure there's got to be some pic or video as proof.

Advertisement
The first Cane I ever seen throwing up the U was Edgerrin James.

But I always assumed Highsmith & those boys in the 80's were the ones who started it,
Like I said I envy you. Most of my west coast fishing was in the 70's/80's in the Chokoloskee area, but I agree there was more snook up your way.
When VCR's came out it was great cause I could record away games go fishing and watch the games when I came home. But when there were big TV games (FSU, ND, UF, etc.) no fishing allowed... Canes always rule.
Used to catch huge Tarpon in the Caloosahatchee using Catfish tails....Snook was live Shrimp with little or no weight....Being a Chef, Snook and Pompano are Fla's best eating fish in my opinion, with Grouper the most versatile....

Used to catch huge Tarpon in the Caloosahatchee using Catfish tails....Snook was live Shrimp with little or no weight....Being a Chef, Snook and Pompano are Fla's best eating fish in my opinion, with Grouper the most versatile....
I'm not a chef but I do all the cooking in my house... wife doesn't mind at all. I've never considered snook top table fair compared to hogfish or yellowtail, seabass etc. Being a pro, I'd like to hear your cooking methods. At my house we love grits as a side with fish, and also mushroom risotto.
Before we turn this into a cooking thread... maybe just pm me on the snook method that will change my mind with the linesider.

Winslow was the one who brought it to the forefront plain and simple. That funny *** rant after the Tennessee loss. I remember augie doggie or wtf his name was made some shirts and handed them out at the orange bowl tail gate that year when Miami beat fsu again.

Winslow was the one who brought it to the forefront plain and simple. That funny *** rant after the Tennessee loss. I remember augie doggie or wtf his name was made some shirts and handed them out at the orange bowl tail gate that year when Miami beat fsu again.
LoL...I remember that

Advertisement
OK, look, here's the deal.

Originally, Miami's helmet had nothing on it, or else it was an interlocking UM. Nothing was very memorable.

Throughout the 70s and 80s, numerous attempts to come up with new logos, alma maters, etc. were attempted. For instance, the USBG (Undergraduate Student Body Government) had a contest in which "Fun in the Sun" was selected as the "new alma mater", and freshmen got a floppy plastic 45 RPM record in their Orientation packets with the horrible song on it.

Bill Bodenhamer was one of the artists who developed the modern split-U logo, I used to hear about it all the time, as he was an alum of my fraternity. The logo was supposed to be adapatable for all different sports and uses, as you could put a silhouette player inside the split-U and any number of slogans underneath the split-U. In the days before PDFs, when I worked for the Miami Hurricane school newspaper and the Ibis school yearbook, the Athletic Department would send us sheets of various logos that we could insert into the layout of different stories.

There are lots of stories about who started the "hand" version of The U. There is a UM student who claims he came up with it in 1984 (story in The Miami Hurricane). It might be true, though it certainly was not widespread. I would put this story on the same level as the F$U guy who clams that he invented the "four fingers" think for the 4th quarter back in the 1970s. It may be true, but it certainly wasn't a big deal. Then, Michael Irvin occasionally did a U hand thing where he put his thumbs together but only held up his index fingers, which we interpreted to be something like a combo of "we're number 1" and "the U". Finally, people who are familiar with the cheerleading squad of the 80s/90s know that Bill and Val were the two primary male cheerleaders for the varsity team (they tended to rotate the varsity, JV, and Sunsations to each corner of the stadium each quarter).

Anyhow, there was a lot of internal debate at UM about the student section. At one of the games, we were seen and heard doing an "F You Brent" chant to Musburger, and during the F$U games, when F$U's band began playing the warchant march song ALL THE TIME (instead of during offensive drives, as it was originally created), the student section began turning "the chop" into "flipping the bird". So Connie Nickel (staff person in charge of the cheerleaders) was asked if there was something the cheerleaders and/or band could do whenever F$U started playing the warchant.

The band had been doing "The Imperial March" from Star Wars for a little while. My roommate for the first two years of college was in the band, and they loved it because it was fairly unusual (at the time). Regardless of whoever came up with the U hand thing with the thumbs together and all other fingers extended upward, Bill was the most prominent person to display that hand thing, as the female cheerleaders had pom poms and whatnot. So Bill was doing the U (Val was at some games and not others at that point, as he was in med school), and decades later, he somehow gets the credit. But, yes, it was UM's attempt to get us to NOT do the middle-finger salute during the warchant.

As for SAYING "The U", there are lots of states throughout the country that refer to the flagship university as "The U" and the state college as "State". Since we created the split-U logo, though, referencing Miami as "The U" has increased over time. On 1980s/1990s TV, you frequently saw U Miami (FL) and Miami U (OH) on scoreboards and TV crawls to differentiate UM from Miami University. During Butch's tenure, there was more emphasis put on the logo, and by that time you had begun to see opposing players "disrespecting" an opponent's logo or mascot across the country (Terrell Owens disrespected the Dallas Cowboys star in 2000). Even though players had been referring to "The U" on their own for a while, I remember Ryan Moore saying something in an interview, but it was really the Kellen Winslow "soldier" outburst that really got "The U" to become a memorable phrase nationwide.

If the UM band is doing The Imperial March with no other music being played, I'll do "The U". But if the warchant is being played, I'll do the double middle fingers. ***** Connie Nickel and Bill Tigano.

OK, look, here's the deal.

Originally, Miami's helmet had nothing on it, or else it was an interlocking UM. Nothing was very memorable.

Throughout the 70s and 80s, numerous attempts to come up with new logos, alma maters, etc. were attempted. For instance, the USBG (Undergraduate Student Body Government) had a contest in which "Fun in the Sun" was selected as the "new alma mater", and freshmen got a floppy plastic 45 RPM record in their Orientation packets with the horrible song on it.

Bill Bodenhamer was one of the artists who developed the modern split-U logo, I used to hear about it all the time, as he was an alum of my fraternity. The logo was supposed to be adapatable for all different sports and uses, as you could put a silhouette player inside the split-U and any number of slogans underneath the split-U. In the days before PDFs, when I worked for the Miami Hurricane school newspaper and the Ibis school yearbook, the Athletic Department would send us sheets of various logos that we could insert into the layout of different stories.

There are lots of stories about who started the "hand" version of The U. There is a UM student who claims he came up with it in 1984 (story in The Miami Hurricane). It might be true, though it certainly was not widespread. I would put this story on the same level as the F$U guy who clams that he invented the "four fingers" think for the 4th quarter back in the 1970s. It may be true, but it certainly wasn't a big deal. Then, Michael Irvin occasionally did a U hand thing where he put his thumbs together but only held up his index fingers, which we interpreted to be something like a combo of "we're number 1" and "the U". Finally, people who are familiar with the cheerleading squad of the 80s/90s know that Bill and Val were the two primary male cheerleaders for the varsity team (they tended to rotate the varsity, JV, and Sunsations to each corner of the stadium each quarter).

Anyhow, there was a lot of internal debate at UM about the student section. At one of the games, we were seen and heard doing an "F You Brent" chant to Musburger, and during the F$U games, when F$U's band began playing the warchant march song ALL THE TIME (instead of during offensive drives, as it was originally created), the student section began turning "the chop" into "flipping the bird". So Connie Nickel (staff person in charge of the cheerleaders) was asked if there was something the cheerleaders and/or band could do whenever F$U started playing the warchant.

The band had been doing "The Imperial March" from Star Wars for a little while. My roommate for the first two years of college was in the band, and they loved it because it was fairly unusual (at the time). Regardless of whoever came up with the U hand thing with the thumbs together and all other fingers extended upward, Bill was the most prominent person to display that hand thing, as the female cheerleaders had pom poms and whatnot. So Bill was doing the U (Val was at some games and not others at that point, as he was in med school), and decades later, he somehow gets the credit. But, yes, it was UM's attempt to get us to NOT do the middle-finger salute during the warchant.

As for SAYING "The U", there are lots of states throughout the country that refer to the flagship university as "The U" and the state college as "State". Since we created the split-U logo, though, referencing Miami as "The U" has increased over time. On 1980s/1990s TV, you frequently saw U Miami (FL) and Miami U (OH) on scoreboards and TV crawls to differentiate UM from Miami University. During Butch's tenure, there was more emphasis put on the logo, and by that time you had begun to see opposing players "disrespecting" an opponent's logo or mascot across the country (Terrell Owens disrespected the Dallas Cowboys star in 2000). Even though players had been referring to "The U" on their own for a while, I remember Ryan Moore saying something in an interview, but it was really the Kellen Winslow "soldier" outburst that really got "The U" to become a memorable phrase nationwide.

If the UM band is doing The Imperial March with no other music being played, I'll do "The U". But if the warchant is being played, I'll do the double middle fingers. ***** Connie Nickel and Bill Tigano.

Good post, information sounds accurate and authentic. With regards to saying “The U”, if in fact it has been used throughout the country then we have the last laugh because we officially own it.

The student section chanting “Fxxx you Brent” was in response for Brent talking **** about JJ running up the score against ND and Faust’s final year. I’m not sure who we were playing but Brent was a commentator. My seats were on the south side close to the students and a lot of fans were joining in too… “Fxxx you Brent” was loud plus we were all shooting a bird at the pressbox. I didn’t know until I got home and saw my VCR recording that the chants got to him and he and the other commentator said something about the chants like “they are saluting you” and Brent stuck his body out of the pressbox and waved and said “anything I can do for the student body”… yea right “Fxxx you Brent!”

QuatroCane said:

Personally I hate the term "The U".

Attachments

• 200[1].gif
    200[1].gif
    647.8 KB · Views: 4
Good post, information sounds accurate and authentic. With regards to saying “The U”, if in fact it has been used throughout the country then we have the last laugh because we officially own it.

The student section chanting “Fxxx you Brent” was in response for Brent talking **** about JJ running up the score against ND and Faust’s final year. I’m not sure who we were playing but Brent was a commentator. My seats were on the south side close to the students and a lot of fans were joining in too… “Fxxx you Brent” was loud plus we were all shooting a bird at the pressbox. I didn’t know until I got home and saw my VCR recording that the chants got to him and he and the other commentator said something about the chants like “they are saluting you” and Brent stuck his body out of the pressbox and waved and said “anything I can do for the student body”… yea right “Fxxx you Brent!”

1985 was the Gerry Faust ND game. Last regular season game of the year. Televised by CBS.

1986 was the "F You Brent" chant, vs. Oklahoma (they were #1, we were #2). It was our second home game of the year (the earlier Texas Tech game was only a local broadcast). Televised by CBS.

Yeah, it was ugly.

I was in the student section for the 1986 OU game. Freshman. Bench seating, no butt-huggers. WAY oversold. We were all drunk as ****. NINE THOUSAND more fans in attendance than the F$U game later in the season. The infamous "F OU and the Boz" t-shirt (which I purchased from someone going door-to-door in Eaton). Effigies of Bosworth hanging from the upper deck of the OB.

To this day, one of the greatest displays of pure anger displayed by UM fans in the OB. Ranks up there with ND game in 1989, the F$U home opener in 1988 (after those fvcks made a pre-season music video), and the final Gaytor game (at the time) in 1987. And I'm not biased just because those were my first 4 years at UM, those were simply some legendary hatred games of ALL TIME.

UGLY.

Advertisement
1985 was the Gerry Faust ND game. Last regular season game of the year. Televised by CBS.

1986 was the "F You Brent" chant, vs. Oklahoma (they were #1, we were #2). It was our second home game of the year (the earlier Texas Tech game was only a local broadcast). Televised by CBS.

Yeah, it was ugly.

I was in the student section for the 1986 OU game. Freshman. Bench seating, no butt-huggers. WAY oversold. We were all drunk as ****. NINE THOUSAND more fans in attendance than the F$U game later in the season. The infamous "F OU and the Boz" t-shirt (which I purchased from someone going door-to-door in Eaton). Effigies of Bosworth hanging from the upper deck of the OB.

To this day, one of the greatest displays of pure anger displayed by UM fans in the OB. Ranks up there with ND game in 1989, the F$U home opener in 1988 (after those fvcks made a pre-season music video), and the final Gaytor game (at the time) in 1987. And I'm not biased just because those were my first 4 years at UM, those were simply some legendary hatred games of ALL TIME.

UGLY.

Thanks for clearing the fog... so it was the #1 vs #2 OU-UM game... makes total sense. I've mentioned here on CIS that that game was one of the craziest games of all time. I was shiit faced from tailgating but still coherent enough to take in the energy. I do remember looking over to you guys and thinking these guys never sat down all game... I didn't sit much either, everybody was major pumped and then some. Brent would have been made into chum if we got a hold of him.
Even Bosworth sobered up and wore a UM t-shirt before the game was over.

Yeah, it was ugly.

UGLY.

I was there as well....Insanity....Not 89 ND Insanity though....

No game in UMs History can touch the Noise that came outta the OB for an entire game than 89 ND....
You literally could not hear yourself think for 3 hrs.....Friggin Deafening....

No game in UMs History can touch the Noise that came outta the OB for an entire game than 89 ND....
You literally could not hear yourself think for 3 hrs.....Friggin Deafening....
The Miami payback game vs Washington was as rabid and loud as I've ever seen or heard . The place was bonkers 30 minutes before the game started and lasted up until the final gun.

Go Canes!!

Advertisement

Yeah, it was ugly.

UGLY.

AQQQ.gif

Iconic pregame warning to OU... it went down hill for them after that.

Advertisement
Back