Who was responsbile for hiring Golden.....

I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Mullen passed on us. Our leadership was and is so broken that they couldn't present Miami's program as an attractive enough option.

Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience. So, we were to hire a "CEO." I think the hope was that Al Golden would surround himself with excellent coordinators. I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.

Why would they consider Mullen but not Sumlin? Sumlin had an extra year of expierence as an HC than Mullen

Advertisement
Lmao at those three options. Believe it or not Edsall would have been an even bigger disaster than golden has been. I don't think trestman would have fared much better.

only good thing would've been edsall would've probably been fired by now

Agree.

Any thoughts on Chad Morris??

He strikes me as an innovator on the offensive side of the ball.

If he gets SMU bowl eligible in year 1, I think he would be a decent candidate.

They're a train wreck of a program ... Him winning 4-5, depending on how they look in the loses, might be a huge accomplishment ...

Mullen, Dantonio, Stoops, etc. ...

All in the same situation.

It's not worth leaving the money they are making to take the chance on the UM job, TODAY.

None of them will be fired for not winning a national title in the next 5 years ... Just stay competitive, win some bowl games, and keep cashing checks.

Do that at Miami, and we're flying banners to get you fired!

We're not getting any of those guys, no matter the pitch, IMO.

I'm also not sure Miami is the NFL launching pad you suggest it is ...

NFL guys just stay in the NFL, now. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator ... OCs and DCs get hired all the time to be HCs.

The NFL use to be a big bump in pay for colleges HCs ... That's no longer the case. It's not really a promotion. It's just a matter of preferring to deal with salary cap issues versus recruiting ...

Mullen passed on us. Our leadership was and is so broken that they couldn't present Miami's program as an attractive enough option.

Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience. So, we were to hire a "CEO." I think the hope was that Al Golden would surround himself with excellent coordinators. I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.
It is being reported in the Miami Herald that Miami never offered the job to Dan Mullen because of his ego.
The trustee said UM inquired about Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh, who wasn’t interested, and said Jon Gruden never seemed serious about taking the job. Chris Peterson gave UM no indication he wanted to leave Boise State. UM thought Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some interest, but he changed his mind. And UM was turned off by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s big ego, with one trustee saying he acts like he invented the game.

*shrugs*

It was spin. We went after him and he was, indeed, a bit of an *******. I was told he specifically said "why would I move my family down there for my coaches to make less money; this is a better situation."

It's partly why I've always said that our program's best chance at attracting talented coaches is to offer the allure of showing off on a huge stage and catapulting to the NFL.

I think Miami can be the launchpad for an innovative mind. I'm terrified that will never happen now, but the primary element is there: easy access to unique talent.

They don't come around often, but guys like Chip Kelly and Malzahn are the types of true technical wizards who'd have a field day with our human resources. We don't need wizards of that caliber, necessarily, nor will we get them once they're established. A guy like Sumlin would have been nice. Timing is everything. Was also a big fan of Patterson when we hired Shannon. The common denominator between all of those guys is that they're technically sharp and aggressive.

Our best bet is to scour lower levels, identify talented coaches that fit those common denominators, and give them a chance. For many reasons, I don't think this administration will make that happen. So, I hope we just get lucky, instead.

I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Why would they consider Mullen but not Sumlin? Sumlin had an extra year of expierence as an HC than Mullen

Mullen had instate experience from his time at Florida which, according to some people, is seen as a plus. He was never offered the job but I do remember hearing about them kicking the idea around. I don't recall hearing much about Sumlin even though he obviously would have killed it here (and so would have Dan Mullen)

Advertisement

It's not worth leaving the money they are making to take the chance on the UM job, TODAY.

None of them will be fired for not winning a national title in the next 5 years ... Just stay competitive, win some bowl games, and keep cashing checks.

NFL guys just stay in the NFL, now. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator ... OCs and DCs get hired all the time to be HCs.

The NFL use to be a big bump in pay for colleges HCs ... That's no longer the case. It's not really a promotion. It's just a matter of preferring to deal with salary cap issues versus recruiting ...

It is being reported in the Miami Herald that Miami never offered the job to Dan Mullen because of his ego.
The trustee said UM inquired about Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh, who wasn’t interested, and said Jon Gruden never seemed serious about taking the job. Chris Peterson gave UM no indication he wanted to leave Boise State. UM thought Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some interest, but he changed his mind. And UM was turned off by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s big ego, with one trustee saying he acts like he invented the game.

*shrugs*

It was spin. We went after him and he was, indeed, a bit of an *******. I was told he specifically said "why would I move my family down there for my coaches to make less money; this is a better situation."

It's partly why I've always said that our program's best chance at attracting talented coaches is to offer the allure of showing off on a huge stage and catapulting to the NFL.

Jimmy Johnson jumped from Oklahoma State to Miami... he wasn't about to get fired at OSU anytime soon. Winners like to compete and win and they will take risks to do it.... they're not satisfied with a safe and steady paycheck in a mediocre situation.

So if these guys would rather stay put in their cushy B-level jobs instead of jumping on a chance to put their skills to the test and win big at Miami, then they're not the kind of coach we want anyway

Mullen had instate experience from his time at Florida which, according to some people, is seen as a plus. He was never offered the job but I do remember hearing about them kicking the idea around. I don't recall hearing much about Sumlin even though he obviously would have killed it here (and so would have Dan Mullen)

Read both Lu and my post. Both specifically talk about HC experience. "Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience." But Sumlin had more HC experience than Mullen

Lu said Mullen was offered the job but we spinned it in the media. I could also see our 'leaders' not offering Mullen because he's ****y. Neither me pull have surprised me

Last edited by a moderator:

*shrugs*

Jimmy Johnson jumped from Oklahoma State to Miami... he wasn't about to get fired at OSU anytime soon. Winners like to compete and win and they will take risks to do it.... they're not satisfied with a safe and steady paycheck in a mediocre situation.

So if these guys would rather stay put in their cushy B-level jobs instead of jumping on a chance to put their skills to the test and win big at Miami, then they're not the kind of coach we want anyway

That was 30 years ago. Times, and college coaching paychecks, have changed significantly!

It's also important to note that Johnson was coming to an established National Championship caliber team. He wasn't coming to re-build anything.

We haven't finished the season ranked in the Top 25 in a decade ... So, Miami is a B-Level program, right now. It is what it is.

Read both Lu and my post. Both specifically talk about HC experience. "Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience." But Sumlin had more HC experience than Mullen

Lu said Mullen was offered the job but we spinned it in the media. I could also see our 'leaders' not offering Mullen because he's ****y. Neither me pull have surprised me

Lu didn't say Mullen was offered the job, he said Mullen passed on us. That agrees with media reports at the time which had one or two members of Miami's search committee reaching out to Mullen to discuss the vacancy, with Mullen pretty much expressing no interest in the job.

Not sure there was ever even an interview. Others may know the answer to that.

And the point I was making was, remembering how that search went, there was more buzz around and you did read more about Mullen as a possible candidate in news media than you ever heard about Sumlin.... but the reason for that was Mullen's ties to the Florida program which some saw as a plus.

Advertisement

That was 30 years ago. Times, and college coaching paychecks, have changed significantly!

It's also important to note that Johnson was coming to an established National Championship caliber team. He wasn't coming to re-build anything.

We haven't finished the season ranked in the Top 25 in a decade ... So, Miami is a B-Level program, right now. It is what it is.

The mentality of winners never changes.

Winners love to compete. They SEEK OUT challenges, they don't gravitate toward cushy jobs with low expectations for success.

If you have a coach that would rather win 8 games per year at Kentucky and be perfectly content with that... then that guy was never a winner to begin with. We're better off not hiring that guy.

The Mullen part is accurate and directly from people who worked and spoke with Mullen. I don't know if we intentionally spun it in the media or whatever, but I know what Mullen came across as and what his general point of view was re: moving his coaches down here.

As for Sumlin, I'm an idiot and jumbled the different years and times where we talked about Sumlin as a candidate. Nevermind me.

the pathetic fan base we have will make it more difficult to hire the next coach.

And btw, Dimare was the driving force behind Golden's hiring. That was his number one choice from the beginning.

Advertisement
Agree.

Any thoughts on Chad Morris??

He strikes me as an innovator on the offensive side of the ball.

If he gets SMU bowl eligible in year 1, I think he would be a decent candidate.

They're a train wreck of a program ... Him winning 4-5, depending on how they look in the loses, might be a huge accomplishment ...

I think Miami can be the launchpad for an innovative mind. I'm terrified that will never happen now, but the primary element is there: easy access to unique talent.

They don't come around often, but guys like Chip Kelly and Malzahn are the types of true technical wizards who'd have a field day with our human resources. We don't need wizards of that caliber, necessarily, nor will we get them once they're established. A guy like Sumlin would have been nice. Timing is everything. Was also a big fan of Patterson when we hired Shannon. The common denominator between all of those guys is that they're technically sharp and aggressive.

Our best bet is to scour lower levels, identify talented coaches that fit those common denominators, and give them a chance. For many reasons, I don't think this administration will make that happen. So, I hope we just get lucky, instead.

Gonna be interested to see how he does now. The difference I see between someone like Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn is that Morris becomes way too scattered. It's actually a similar complaint Chud's players had in the NFL - "grab baggy."

Lu, any premature candidates you favor? PJ fleck is gaining a lot of steam up at WMU, and then there's hotshot coordinators such as Pruitt, Norvell, and Frost. Then there's the Miami guys (Chud, Schiano, & Cristobal) which both the media and our 'leaders' will feel it's necessary to contact/mention IMO

Lu, any premature candidates you favor? PJ fleck is gaining a lot of steam up at WMU, and then there's hotshot coordinators such as Pruitt, Norvell, and Frost. Then there's the Miami guys (Chud, Schiano, & Cristobal) which both the media and our 'leaders' will feel it's necessary to contact/mention IMO

I only start looking at candidates after GrandMaster MedleyCane puts out his list. So, when that guy gets in here and provides 10 or so candidates, I start studying everything about each one.

/I have this weird feeling we somehow end up with Cristobal
//I have a bigger feeling Kaaya saves Golden's job

Advertisement

I only start looking at candidates after GrandMaster MedleyCane puts out his list. So, when that guy gets in here and provides 10 or so candidates, I start studying everything about each one.

/I have this weird feeling we somehow end up with Cristobal
//I have a bigger feeling Kaaya saves Golden's job

Me too unfortunately.

The team is too talented to win anything less than 9 games(my prediction), especially if Kaaya is as good as I'm thinking he can be. I think 8 wins(what I would prefer) would leave the administration/BOT questioning Golden's job security and possibly looking for a replacement, then again you have guys like Blake James who will praise Golden for getting 2 extra wins.

All I ask for is a competent coach who will put together a good staff, develop players, and constantly have us in the the top 15.

Trestman would have been much better than Golden.

The guy can coach offensive football better than just about anyone.
Nah Trestman would have been just as bad, if not worse than Golden. I mean would recruits even talk to him? Dude looks like he is about to molest someone.

I dont know what youve seen of Trestman my man...but I lived thru 16+ weeks of this weirdo last year. If you think he would have been better than Golden...honestly think that...you need to cancel your account and do something else. I have never ever in my life seen a guy so unequipped to lead in any way, shape or form. Maybe he has a good QB mind and the mindset to be a QB coach...but coaching in Canada must be way different than here.

[video=youtube_share;gpIUeWE6C3Q]https://youtu.be/gpIUeWE6C3Q[/video]

If he didn't win at Miami, which would have been highly unlikely, he would of been one of the most interesting guys to roam the sidelines. Too bad Donna hated him or you'd see Miami competing for national titles.

Advertisement
Back