Who was responsbile for hiring Golden.....

Chud is the perfect fit and he wants the job.....

Don't care if he will want to be back in the NFL in 5 years.....that is actually a good thing.

Advertisement
The irony of the situation is all 3 are in the running to be our coach next year, too ...

Trestman would probably leave his OC job to run a program.

Edsall isn't really on solid ground at Maryland.

And, we could still be stuck with Golden.

Any of those 3 guys could be HC at Miami next season ...

If they do can Golden, which I doubt, they'll just make James Coley HC.

Lmao at those three options. Believe it or not Edsall would have been an even bigger disaster than golden has been. I don't think trestman would have fared much better.

Advertisement
I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Mullen passed on us. Our leadership was and is so broken that they couldn't present Miami's program as an attractive enough option.

Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience. So, we were to hire a "CEO." I think the hope was that Al Golden would surround himself with excellent coordinators. I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.

Chud was a great recruiter as an assistant here.

He will be even better as a head coach. Guy has 3 championship rings and many years in the NFL. There was another guy named Butch that had a similar resume coming in.

Plus, Chud would put together a far superior staff.

We never really considered Sumlin which was a mistake.

Randy tried to hire Sumlin as OC. Randy almost hired Koetter as well.

Had Randy hired either guy, he might still be coaching here.

I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.

Then we have an extremely short-sided administration. Every head coach's philosophy dictates the offensive and defensive style

Advertisement
I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.

Then we have an extremely short-sided administration. Every head coach's philosophy dictates the offensive and defensive style

That's actually not true. CEO types (Head coaches) typically have a general philosophy that serves as the foundation for the program. Yes, if it stays as it's been, I think we're ****ed here, too. However, they often only *literally* dictate one side of the ball. Just this previous season, Golden's philosophy somehow held an offense with guys like Duke Johnson, Clive Walford and Phillip Dorsett to a painfully slow pace. His philosophy is entirely rigid. And, most people I talked to didn't really expect that. They bought into his words about being flexible and "players not plays."

I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Mullen passed on us. Our leadership was and is so broken that they couldn't present Miami's program as an attractive enough option.

Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience. So, we were to hire a "CEO." I think the hope was that Al Golden would surround himself with excellent coordinators. I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.
It is being reported in the Miami Herald that Miami never offered the job to Dan Mullen because of his ego.
The trustee said UM inquired about Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh, who wasn’t interested, and said Jon Gruden never seemed serious about taking the job. Chris Peterson gave UM no indication he wanted to leave Boise State. UM thought Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some interest, but he changed his mind. And UM was turned off by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s big ego, with one trustee saying he acts like he invented the game.

*shrugs*

It is being reported in the Miami Herald that Miami never offered the job to Dan Mullen because of his ego.
The trustee said UM inquired about Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh, who wasn’t interested, and said Jon Gruden never seemed serious about taking the job. Chris Peterson gave UM no indication he wanted to leave Boise State. UM thought Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some interest, but he changed his mind. And UM was turned off by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s big ego, with one trustee saying he acts like he invented the game.

*shrugs*

Chris Peterson was who I wanted.

God forbid we hire a coach with a big ego. I guess that means that Urban Meyer is out of the running.

I remembered reading that, as well.

I have a friend with close ties to Florida football. He says Mullen wasn't well liked there, either, because of his ego.

There's a reason Mullen was never a candidate to replace Urban or Muschamp ...

And with regard to prospective HC searches in the future ... Take a look at the names in that quote:

We went from Harbaugh, Gruden, Petersen, Pelini, and Mullen to Al Golden, Randy Edsall, and Mark Trestman ...

And some folks think it's as simple as "paying more money"????

At this level, in this day and age ... It's about more than just the salary, assistant pool, and recruiting base.

People have to WANT the job, and all that comes along with it ... They also have to WANT to live in South Florida, and have their family live in South Florida.

South Florida ain't for everybody ...

*shrugs*

Advertisement
I'm gonna give UM credit enough to believe they KNOW they would have to pay "market" for a coach they wanted.

I can't believe any of those candidates would have lost interest based on salary, alone.

If nothing else, I don't even think any of those candidates extended their own contracts during that time, so they didn't even use UM as leverage ...

*shrugs*

It was spin. We went after him and he was, indeed, a bit of an *******. I was told he specifically said "why would I move my family down there for my coaches to make less money; this is a better situation."

It's partly why I've always said that our program's best chance at attracting talented coaches is to offer the allure of showing off on a huge stage and catapulting to the NFL.

Advertisement

*shrugs*

It was spin. We went after him and he was, indeed, a bit of an *******. I was told he specifically said "why would I move my family down there for my coaches to make less money; this is a better situation."

It's partly why I've always said that our program's best chance at attracting talented coaches is to offer the allure of showing off on a huge stage and catapulting to the NFL.
Appreciate the clarification.

Mullen, Dantonio, Stoops, etc. ...

All in the same situation.

It's not worth leaving the money they are making to take the chance on the UM job, TODAY.

None of them will be fired for not winning a national title in the next 5 years ... Just stay competitive, win some bowl games, and keep cashing checks.

Do that at Miami, and we're flying banners to get you fired!

We're not getting any of those guys, no matter the pitch, IMO.

I'm also not sure Miami is the NFL launching pad you suggest it is ...

NFL guys just stay in the NFL, now. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator ... OCs and DCs get hired all the time to be HCs.

The NFL use to be a big bump in pay for colleges HCs ... That's no longer the case. It's not really a promotion. It's just a matter of preferring to deal with salary cap issues versus recruiting ...

*shrugs*

I remembered reading that, as well.

I have a friend with close ties to Florida football. He says Mullen wasn't well liked there, either, because of his ego.

There's a reason Mullen was never a candidate to replace Urban or Muschamp ...

And with regard to prospective HC searches in the future ... Take a look at the names in that quote:

We went from Harbaugh, Gruden, Petersen, Pelini, and Mullen to Al Golden, Randy Edsall, and Mark Trestman ...

And some folks think it's as simple as "paying more money"????

At this level, in this day and age ... It's about more than just the salary, assistant pool, and recruiting base.

People have to WANT the job, and all that comes along with it ... They also have to WANT to live in South Florida, and have their family live in South Florida.

South Florida ain't for everybody ...

*shrugs*

I get that but here is an example of how lazy these searches have been.
When they hired Shannon...Patterson from TCU was scheduled for an interview a week later.
This was still when Patterson was attainable.
Now Patterson might have told them to kick rocks but they didn't even go through with the interview.
That's not being through its being lazy.
It feels like they don't have the stomach for the process of searching for a coach.
It feels like the process overwhelmes them.

Last edited:
Mullen, Dantonio, Stoops, etc. ...

All in the same situation.

It's not worth leaving the money they are making to take the chance on the UM job, TODAY.

None of them will be fired for not winning a national title in the next 5 years ... Just stay competitive, win some bowl games, and keep cashing checks.

Do that at Miami, and we're flying banners to get you fired!

We're not getting any of those guys, no matter the pitch, IMO.

I'm also not sure Miami is the NFL launching pad you suggest it is ...

NFL guys just stay in the NFL, now. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator ... OCs and DCs get hired all the time to be HCs.

The NFL use to be a big bump in pay for colleges HCs ... That's no longer the case. It's not really a promotion. It's just a matter of preferring to deal with salary cap issues versus recruiting ...

*shrugs*

I think Miami can be the launchpad for an innovative mind. I'm terrified that will never happen now, but the primary element is there: easy access to unique talent.

They don't come around often, but guys like Chip Kelly and Malzahn are the types of true technical wizards who'd have a field day with our human resources. We don't need wizards of that caliber, necessarily, nor will we get them once they're established. A guy like Sumlin would have been nice. Timing is everything. Was also a big fan of Patterson when we hired Shannon. The common denominator between all of those guys is that they're technically sharp and aggressive.

Our best bet is to scour lower levels, identify talented coaches that fit those common denominators, and give them a chance. For many reasons, I don't think this administration will make that happen. So, I hope we just get lucky, instead.

Advertisement
Back