Who was responsbile for hiring Golden.....

Al Foil

Coach Pepe MAGA!
Word is that Dimare and Kosar wanted Trestman, but were overruled by Donna and Hocutt.

Hocutt is a total doofus only to be outdone by Eichorst who might be the worst AD in the history of college sports.

Blake is a tool but isn't a weasel like those two.

Advertisement
Trestman, Golden, Edsall....three sucker coaches. You really think that Trestman would have lit it up here? Go ask Chicago how wonderful he is. Bottom line, you want a big time coach, you gotta pay big time $$$$$$. Elite programs understand this but not Miami.

Kirby Hocutt fell in love with Al Golden. Kosar wanted Trestman. Bottom line is that the pool was extremely weak that year and likely because the pay doesn't attract top guys. If our administration had a clue, they'd mirror what USC does being that they are a private school in a metropolis with a rich tradition. We would suck with Trestman, Edsall and clearly do with all. Lose Lose Lose situation. You get what you pay for Julio Frenk

This school/program is such a joke. I had forgotten that we were actually considering corches like Trestman and Edsall.

The pool was weak because our AD was a total loser. Guy had no idea how to conduct a search.

Not saying he would have been great, but Trestman would have been much better than Golden.

Trestman could have been a Chip Kelly/Gus Malzahn type. Offensive mad genius who surrounds himself with real football coaches and not losers like Paul Williams and Mark Doritos.

The guy can coach offensive football better than just about anyone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trestman would have been much better than Golden.

The guy can coach offensive football better than just about anyone.
Nah Trestman would have been just as bad, if not worse than Golden. I mean would recruits even talk to him? Dude looks like he is about to molest someone.

The irony of the situation is all 3 are in the running to be our coach next year, too ...

Trestman would probably leave his OC job to run a program.

Edsall isn't really on solid ground at Maryland.

And, we could still be stuck with Golden.

Any of those 3 guys could be HC at Miami next season ...

The irony of the situation is all 3 are in the running to be our coach next year, too ...

Trestman would probably leave his OC job to run a program.

Edsall isn't really on solid ground at Maryland.

And, we could still be stuck with Golden.

Any of those 3 guys could be HC at Miami next season ...
I fully expect them, or Cristobal/Chud/Schiano to be our next coach, repeating the cycle of the last decade.

Jon Gruden was mentioned as the next HC for a reason. And it wasn't the AD making that call.

A BOT member thought Gruden would take the gig, and they were wrong.

I doubt Shannon gets fired if they know, before hand, that Edsall, Golden, and Trestman would have been the candidates ...

Advertisement
Jon Gruden was mentioned as the next HC for a reason. And it wasn't the AD making that call.

A BOT member thought Gruden would take the gig, and they were wrong.

I doubt Shannon gets fired if they know, before hand, that Edsall, Golden, and Trestman would have been the candidates ...

This is where many posters don't understand that Miami has $ but they are stubborn. They were willing to pay 3.5 million for Gruden in 2011, which means they can at least pay 4-4.5 for the right coach. Luckily for us Butch will come for half of that

I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Advertisement
Trestman failed as NFL HC. Like Chud, Greg and Butch, that is a little better than "he won at Temple" claim to fame. There are no many sure shots. Remember, JJ managed to lose TWO NC games with an Heisman QB and as much NFL talent ever seen on one team until 2001 -- ever more at DL than that team. took JJ until 4th year to figure out how to win a Bowl Game. At this point, I could give Trestman a shot.

Kirby Hocutt fell in love with Al Golden. Kosar wanted Trestman. Bottom line is that the pool was extremely weak that year and likely because the pay doesn't attract top guys. If our administration had a clue, they'd mirror what USC does being that they are a private school in a metropolis with a rich tradition. We would suck with Trestman, Edsall and clearly do with all. Lose Lose Lose situation. You get what you pay for Julio Frenk
Sorry, Bernie was an iconic player and all, but at this point I wouldn't rely on his judgment in picking a head coach.

Advertisement
Sorry, Bernie was an iconic player and all, but at this point I wouldn't rely on his judgment in picking a head coach.

Can't disagree but he is on our Board of Trustees and certainly was going to have a say. Regardless of who we hired that year we'd likely be in the same place we currently are

I remember Chris Petersen was a guy who the administration coveted. They offered him 2.9mill per year but he chose to stay at Boise.

Edsall and Trestman will not be factors....their ship has sailed.

We need a younger coach with some energy.

Like Nick Saban?

Trestman failed as NFL HC. Like Chud, Greg and Butch, that is a little better than "he won at Temple" claim to fame. There are no many sure shots. Remember, JJ managed to lose TWO NC games with an Heisman QB and as much NFL talent ever seen on one team until 2001 -- ever more at DL than that team. took JJ until 4th year to figure out how to win a Bowl Game. At this point, I could give Trestman a shot.

Advertisement
Back