Who was responsbile for hiring Golden.....

Prior to Golden, they tried to steal Richt away from Georgia.

Schiano was also offered. Donna had a boner for Schiano. tried to hire him TWICE.

Advertisement
I only start looking at candidates after GrandMaster MedleyCane puts out his list. So, when that guy gets in here and provides 10 or so candidates, I start studying everything about each one.
Came in here to post this. It's not a, "who do you want to replace our current coach," thread until he pops in and names rising stars from smaller schools.

Last edited:
Lu, any premature candidates you favor? PJ fleck is gaining a lot of steam up at WMU, and then there's hotshot coordinators such as Pruitt, Norvell, and Frost. Then there's the Miami guys (Chud, Schiano, & Cristobal) which both the media and our 'leaders' will feel it's necessary to contact/mention IMO

I only start looking at candidates after GrandMaster MedleyCane puts out his list. So, when that guy gets in here and provides 10 or so candidates, I start studying everything about each one.

/I have this weird feeling we somehow end up with Cristobal
//I have a bigger feeling Kaaya saves Golden's job
proxy.php

Advertisement
Like Nick Saban?

Trestman failed as NFL HC. Like Chud, Greg and Butch, that is a little better than "he won at Temple" claim to fame. There are no many sure shots. Remember, JJ managed to lose TWO NC games with an Heisman QB and as much NFL talent ever seen on one team until 2001 -- ever more at DL than that team. took JJ until 4th year to figure out how to win a Bowl Game. At this point, I could give Trestman a shot.

Yeap, but Satan was already a successful NC winning college HC.

I believe we interviewed and passed on Mullen because **** like Fain thought he was too "arrogant."

I think they also flirted with the idea of Sumlin but the thought of an offense that would maximize the strength of our recruiting base was too much to handle.

Mullen passed on us. Our leadership was and is so broken that they couldn't present Miami's program as an attractive enough option.

Sumlin was my favorite of the talked-about names. He was never really considered because we apparently were reacting to Randy Shannon not having Head Coach experience. So, we were to hire a "CEO." I think the hope was that Al Golden would surround himself with excellent coordinators. I think the last thing most people expected was that his philosophy would literally dictate the offensive and defensive styles.
It is being reported in the Miami Herald that Miami never offered the job to Dan Mullen because of his ego.
The trustee said UM inquired about Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh, who wasn’t interested, and said Jon Gruden never seemed serious about taking the job. Chris Peterson gave UM no indication he wanted to leave Boise State. UM thought Nebraska’s Bo Pelini had some interest, but he changed his mind. And UM was turned off by Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen’s big ego, with one trustee saying he acts like he invented the game.

*shrugs*

It was spin. We went after him and he was, indeed, a bit of an *******. I was told he specifically said "why would I move my family down there for my coaches to make less money; this is a better situation."

It's partly why I've always said that our program's best chance at attracting talented coaches is to offer the allure of showing off on a huge stage and catapulting to the NFL.

Bingo! All our success, save Howard, came from coaches seeking NFL fame. We were and can still be the perfect program for that. Nesters, like Larry, Randy, and Al, are useless to us. We should embrace that springboard. "Where do you see yourself in six years?" Any answer other than HC of NFL team: "Next!"

Word is that Dimare and Kosar wanted Trestman, but were overruled by Donna and Hocutt.

Hocutt is a total doofus only to be outdone by Eichorst who might be the worst AD in the history of college sports.

Blake is a tool but isn't a weasel like those two.

Paul DiMare hired Al Golden

I remember Chris Petersen was a guy who the administration coveted. They offered him 2.9mill per year but he chose to stay at Boise.

chris peterson sure laid an egg since he went to Washington. no one beating his door down now are they ?

Advertisement
Jon Gruden was mentioned as the next HC for a reason. And it wasn't the AD making that call.

A BOT member thought Gruden would take the gig, and they were wrong.

I doubt Shannon gets fired if they know, before hand, that Edsall, Golden, and Trestman would have been the candidates ...

This is where many posters don't understand that Miami has $ but they are stubborn. They were willing to pay 3.5 million for Gruden in 2011, which means they can at least pay 4-4.5 for the right coach. Luckily for us Butch will come for half of that
Called it.

I remember Chris Petersen was a guy who the administration coveted. They offered him 2.9mill per year but he chose to stay at Boise.

chris peterson sure laid an egg since he went to Washington. no one beating his door down now are they ?

To be fair, Washington is a terrible team. I for the life of me could not understand why he took that job compared to all of the other (better) jobs that were offered to him.

Kirby Hocutt fell in love with Al Golden. Kosar wanted Trestman. Bottom line is that the pool was extremely weak that year and likely because the pay doesn't attract top guys. If our administration had a clue, they'd mirror what USC does being that they are a private school in a metropolis with a rich tradition. We would suck with Trestman, Edsall and clearly do with all. Lose Lose Lose situation. You get what you pay for Julio Frenk

Um enrollment 16K - USC 45K - not the same

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back