Who is the worst Miami coach of all time?

Who is the worst ever Miami coach?

• Total voters
No coach on the list faced the recruiting challenges that Golden faced. The slow ticking Shapiro NCAA scandal hovered over his tenure. He was not and was never going to be the coach to lead the program long term to greatness, but it would be disingenuous to disregard the impact the black cloud had o n his recruiting efforts.

Advertisement
shannon beat OU and OSU, who's Mandy signature win?
You make an excellent point, in identifying that Shannon started his tenure closer to the glory days, and return to greatness should have been more achievable. The further removed we get from the last great run (Butch's boys), the more daunting the task becomes. As it is now...coaches are recruiting players that have not seen sustained Miami greatness first hand. They have heard of it...not unlike some random urban legend...

Advertisement
shannon beat OU and OSU, who's Mandy signature win?

OU just lost Bradford at the time and OSU was a trainwreck that year.
Shannon was 5-7 his first year so if you count wins from his third year you have to give Manny 3. I for one, don't want to give manny three years

They have all won more games than Manny so it must be Manny. Wait, Manny has lost fewer games. ***&@€¥>!!!

This is recency effect. Manny's back to back losses vs FIU & Duke don't compare to these 2 back to back gems in Shannon's first year in 2007:

NS St - 19-16 Loss. We completed 1 pass the entire game. One. If you think Enos is bad - go back and watch this game.
UVA - 48-0 Loss. Last game in the Orange Bowl was a complete embarrassment.

The silver lining was Shannon was bringing in the #1 recruiting class - so there was hope.

Advertisement
Golden and Shannon were equally awful in different ways.

Coker ran this program into the ground but won a title, so it's hard to call him the worst.

Richt was a stubborn, washed out guy but he recruited FAIRLY well (except at QB, of course), and got us a coastal title, so he's not the worst.

If Manny continues to perform as he did in year 1, I think he's the clear worst.
That was Butch's title. Crediting Coker for it is like crediting Barry Switzer over Jimmy for that 3rd bowl Dallas won in the 90s.

Everyone saying manny diaz is ignorant. 1 year of stupidity does not compare to the multiple years the onion and golden gave the team.

Coker. He took over THE best team in the history of college football and got worse.. and worse.. and worse. And eventually had the worst bowl loss in program history. Other coaches have had issues that faced them like sanctions, lack of talent, lack of leadership, money.. whatever. Coker was one of the highest paid coaches in the game, had Paul Dee to protect him, and had a team that was LOADED with talent and leadership. And he fvcked all of it up.

Advertisement
Coker. He took over THE best team in the history of college football and got worse.. and worse.. and worse. And eventually had the worst bowl loss in program history. Other coaches have had issues that faced them like sanctions, lack of talent, lack of leadership, money.. whatever. Coker was one of the highest paid coaches in the game, had Paul Dee to protect him, and had a team that was LOADED with talent and leadership. And he fvcked all of it up.

Manny would have gone 8-3 or 7-4 with the 2001 team.

And Manny would lose by at least 37 points if he ever played a top 10 opponent like 2005 LSU in a bowl. Which granted is something of a moot point since Manny’s teams will never have a good enough regular season to go to a bowl where they’d face a top 10 team.

Last edited:
Shannon's 5-7 season with a 48-0 loss to UVA probably takes the cake.

Then Manny and his loss to FIU.

Then Golden and his buddy Mark.

Then I cant decide between Coker & Richt. I mean Richt is a better coach than Coker, but Richt put himself ahead of the team and Coker never did that.

Carl Selmer
First UN football coach ever to be fired. Interesting that he was the OC under the previous failed Pete Elliot regime.
They did play the toughest schedule in the country but also barely drew 10,000 fans to home games.
He was fired the day before the last game of the year but not told. (It was planned to tell him the day after the game but he found out by seeing it on TV from an accidentally leaked story while in Houston coaching the final game).

Advertisement
This is recency effect. Manny's back to back losses vs FIU & Duke don't compare to these 2 back to back gems in Shannon's first year in 2007:

NS St - 19-16 Loss. We completed 1 pass the entire game. One. If you think Enos is bad - go back and watch this game.
UVA - 48-0 Loss. Last game in the Orange Bowl was a complete embarrassment.

The silver lining was Shannon was bringing in the #1 recruiting class - so there was hope.

Looking at wiki, we had the NCSU and UVA losses back to back, followed by a 44-14 loss to Va Tech. It was actually 3 really bad games in a row. We then capped the season with a 28-14 loss to BC to finish bowl ineligible.

I thought the 48-0 UVA loss was the last game of the 2007 season TBH. I had totally forgotten there were 2 away games after that.

I also didn’t remember what year the Freeman NCSU game occurred. I couldn’t remember if that was in 2008, 2007, or in 2006 under Coker.

And I had completely forgotten about the existence of the 44-14 Va Tech loss. Ah times I want to forget.

All equally bad - just for different reasons.

Clappy managed to crash a top program.

Radar - not named Radar without good reason.

Golden - trying to bring old Penn State football to Miami

Richt - burned out and couldn't see the obvious.

Diaz - Broke the first rule of Boulschitting - "Never start believing your own boulschitt." Has no OC, has no DC. What a way to win.

OU just lost Bradford at the time and OSU was a trainwreck that year.
Shannon was 5-7 his first year so if you count wins from his third year you have to give Manny 3. I for one, don't want to give manny three years

Then Shannon did his job unlike the worst Corch ever in Mandy

Advertisement
Back