Who is joining the team next year?

He didn't struggle with Brown and Lonnie, that team made the dance and probably would have been better off had Bruce not gotten hurt.

L likes to have experienced teams(Most coaches do, unless you are able to recruit like a blue blood), so he will most likely hit the portal hard for some guys(Hopefully a legit center and another PG). It's not like L is running some kind of unique system that no one can grasp, Charlie Moore figured it out. It's about making good evaluations and bringing in the right guys. People also forget that L has had a good record in regards to developing guys. I expect Wooga and Joseph to make huge strides this offseason, and into next year as their minutes increase. I also expect the incoming freshman to be solid early on, they aren't long term developmental projects. There's a lot of talent coming back, albeit a bit unproven.

I forgot about Miller, who does whatever needs to be done. He can be a scorer, he can be a role guy. Dude does a lot. He may come back next year as well.
He did struggle with Brown and Lonnie. Those teams were the most talented we ever had, yet never won a tournament game nor earned better than a 6 seed.

The Brown injury was unfortunate, and maybe we would've hit our stride late that season and gone on a deep run, but the 2017 and 2018 seasons were disappointments. (It's a testament to Coach L that he built the program to the point where tournament seasons could be considered somewhat disappointing.)

Advertisement
He did struggle with Brown and Lonnie. Those teams were the most talented we ever had, yet never won a tournament game nor earned better than a 6 seed.

The Brown injury was unfortunate, and maybe we would've hit our stride late that season and gone on a deep run, but the 2017 and 2018 seasons were disappointments. (It's a testament to Coach L that he built the program to the point where tournament seasons could be considered somewhat disappointing.)
He had Lonnie and Bruce together for ONE SEASON. Amazing how many people expected two guys with extremely similar skill sets to mesh perfectly from day 1. Combine that with awful injury luck and it never worked as intended.

The 2016-2017 year was a classic overachiever year. Most people though Miami wouldn't make the tournament after Rodriguez, Jekiri and McClellan graduated. That team was Bruce Brown, Davon Reed and some okay role players(Amp). Dewan Hernandez was borderline useless, Izundu was raw, and Vasiljevic was a one trick pony as a true freshman. By the way, Sam was a redshirt that year same with Rodney Miller.

People forget that most saw Miami as being firmly out the Dance preseason and Miami stepped up and overachieved.

Wong isn't even one of the top 100 draft prospects in a sport where only 60 players are drafted, so unless he's dying to play overseas it would make sense that he would be back.

also would hope that our success this year would bump us up the pecking order for transfers. there will be a lot of shots to go around.
Problem is that he's getting older, coming back to play another year most likely wont change his projection. May be time to get after it at the next level and start in the G League or play overseas. Playing for peanuts at Miami with a bunch of freshmen and transfers may not be what he wants.

Problem is that he's getting older, coming back to play another year most likely wont change his projection. May be time to get after it at the next level and start in the G League or play overseas. Playing for peanuts at Miami with a bunch of freshmen and transfers may not be what he wants.
maybe not. from everything I've read, Kam McGusty has improved his standing in the eyes of scouts by playing well enough this year to make first team All ACC. I think to a certain extent, once you're no longer a "young" prospect it doesn't matter how old you are. In other words, there's a big difference between a 19 year old prospect and a 21 year old prospect, but I don't think there's a big difference between a 21 year old prospect and a 22 year old prospect.

if Wong can come back and show improvement in his game it could help his standing as a prospect. in particular, if I were him, I would be looking at Miami's roster next year thinking that I will have the ball in my hands a lot. if he can show more point guard skills, the ability to run an offense, that would help his pro projection a lot, because right now he's a small combo guard without a position at the next level (Coach L has had tons of success with these types of players). if I was Wong I would also want to come back and show I can shoot better than 30% from three. but if we make a run to the Final Four or something and he has good games, I could totally see him leaving.

Advertisement
What's the deal with that Jakai Robinson? Can't that billionaire cuban give Wong 250,000 $ or something - because Wobg has no business going into the draft; 30 - 40 years ago yes a Wong is a first round pick,but now with all these Global players in the draft it's a gamble - Look at some of the absolute stiffs drafted back then from college

He can come back as long as he doesn't sign with an agent

Advertisement
He had Lonnie and Bruce together for ONE SEASON. Amazing how many people expected two guys with extremely similar skill sets to mesh perfectly from day 1. Combine that with awful injury luck and it never worked as intended.

The 2016-2017 year was a classic overachiever year. Most people though Miami wouldn't make the tournament after Rodriguez, Jekiri and McClellan graduated. That team was Bruce Brown, Davon Reed and some okay role players(Amp). Dewan Hernandez was borderline useless, Izundu was raw, and Vasiljevic was a one trick pony as a true freshman. By the way, Sam was a redshirt that year same with Rodney Miller.

People forget that most saw Miami as being firmly out the Dance preseason and Miami stepped up and overachieved.
In modern college basketball, you don't need experience to field good teams. The 2017 team was preseason #24 Kenpom. It had a ton of talent - and was not nearly as inexperienced as you make it seem. Per Kenpom it was #142, which is actually better than our current team's experience. It seems like you're the one who is misremembering it.

Huell and Brown were 5 stars, Lykes was a top 50 player, Newton was an experienced top 50 player, Lawrence was an experienced 4 star, and Reed was a future pro. Murphy was a really good college defensive player. Finishing as an 8 seed and getting dominated by a mediocre MSU team in the first round was not a particularly good coaching job.

In modern college basketball, you don't need experience to field good teams. The 2017 team was preseason #24 Kenpom. It had a ton of talent - and was not nearly as inexperienced as you make it seem. Per Kenpom it was #142, which is actually better than our current team's experience. It seems like you're the one who is misremembering it.

Huell and Brown were 5 stars, Lykes was a top 50 player, Newton was an experienced top 50 player, Lawrence was an experienced 4 star, and Reed was a future pro. Murphy was a really good college defensive player. Finishing as an 8 seed and getting dominated by a mediocre MSU team in the first round was not a particularly good coaching job.
It's beyond obvious you know nothing about this team, just judging from this post. You are naming guys that weren't even on the roster(Lykes), guys that were borderline useless(Huell), and guys that struggled for long stretches of the season in a role that they just couldn't successfully execute(Newton at the PG). Keep in mind, that Miami team lost a ton of talent from the year before. They lost Rodriguez, McClellan, and Jekiri. They also lost nice developmental depth in Palmer and a solid bench scorer in Ivan Cruz-Uceda. That Miami team, despite having some big wins in ACC play also had a nasty tendency to get stomped by teams if they couldn't shoot that night. Oh, and did I mention that team wasn't ranked until the 16th week of the season and then never again? This wasn't some crazy deep, talented team. They had pieces, but a lot of those pieces were years away from what we remember them as. Izundu as a sophomore, and Izundu as a senior are two different guys. Let's be honest, few of us thought that Brown would come in and dominate the way he did. We knew he was talented, but he flashed early and carried the team on his back.

Our fans need to stop jerking themselves off over "Huell was a 5 star", we all saw him play as a freshman, he was bad, really, really bad. Timberlake was rated a 5 star, if you watched the kid play, it's obvious that whomever made that projection was high on crack. This is why I can't with people that rely solely on analytics, it removes common sense and basic logic from the conversation. That Miami team was projected to be out of the NCAA Tournament, but a solid NIT team, they were easily in the tournament. When you look at the roster, what they lost from the season before and what they managed to accomplish, they overachieved, period.

Keep in mind, experience matters, WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE OVERWHELMING TALENT. Miami wasn't Calipari's UK teams, with 5-7 NBA draft picks on it. Even then, there's a reason why Cal only has one title, it's extremely tough to straight up outtalent teams every night, especially in a single elimination tournament. You have one rough night, and it's over. You need to be able to overcome off nights from guys, you need to be able to win ugly at times.

There's a lot of revisionist history going on with the 2018 team. Lonnie was hurt at the beginning of year, and start off extremely slow. Once he started going, we started to look a lot better, then Bruce got hurt and missed the end of year. Without Brown, that team was Lonnie, Huell, a freshman Lykes and a bunch of role players. Hardly the best team we've ever had.

There's a lot of revisionist history going on with the 2018 team. Lonnie was hurt at the beginning of year, and start off extremely slow. Once he started going, we started to look a lot better, then Bruce got hurt and missed the end of year. Without Brown, that team was Lonnie, Huell, a freshman Lykes and a bunch of role players. Hardly the best team we've ever had.
Agree. They had the most highly ranked players I can remember, but they never found their chemistry like 2022 or 2013 did.

Advertisement
I doubt coach L pushes Gak out.
If Rodney Miller was able to stay around so long without contributing anything I think Gak can too.
If Gak comes back or not it'll be completely up to him, doubt it will be because his scholarship wasnt renewed.

Gak coming back or not is pretty irrelevant. He’s just not a contributor.

The two big questions I have is does Wong come back and is Beverly’s basketball career over?

Advertisement
It's beyond obvious you know nothing about this team, just judging from this post. You are naming guys that weren't even on the roster(Lykes), guys that were borderline useless(Huell), and guys that struggled for long stretches of the season in a role that they just couldn't successfully execute(Newton at the PG). Keep in mind, that Miami team lost a ton of talent from the year before. They lost Rodriguez, McClellan, and Jekiri. They also lost nice developmental depth in Palmer and a solid bench scorer in Ivan Cruz-Uceda. That Miami team, despite having some big wins in ACC play also had a nasty tendency to get stomped by teams if they couldn't shoot that night. Oh, and did I mention that team wasn't ranked until the 16th week of the season and then never again? This wasn't some crazy deep, talented team. They had pieces, but a lot of those pieces were years away from what we remember them as. Izundu as a sophomore, and Izundu as a senior are two different guys. Let's be honest, few of us thought that Brown would come in and dominate the way he did. We knew he was talented, but he flashed early and carried the team on his back.

Our fans need to stop jerking themselves off over "Huell was a 5 star", we all saw him play as a freshman, he was bad, really, really bad. Timberlake was rated a 5 star, if you watched the kid play, it's obvious that whomever made that projection was high on crack. This is why I can't with people that rely solely on analytics, it removes common sense and basic logic from the conversation. That Miami team was projected to be out of the NCAA Tournament, but a solid NIT team, they were easily in the tournament. When you look at the roster, what they lost from the season before and what they managed to accomplish, they overachieved, period.

Keep in mind, experience matters, WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE OVERWHELMING TALENT. Miami wasn't Calipari's UK teams, with 5-7 NBA draft picks on it. Even then, there's a reason why Cal only has one title, it's extremely tough to straight up outtalent teams every night, especially in a single elimination tournament. You have one rough night, and it's over. You need to be able to overcome off nights from guys, you need to be able to win ugly at times.
The fact that Newton and Huell didn't look good that season is not the defense of L that you think it is.

In fact, it's exactly my point lol. He didn't get the most out of the considerable talent that team had.

If you're going to credit L when guys develop, you need to also criticize him for the few that don't.

I named 1 guy that wasn't on the roster, my b. The point stands.

The fact that Newton and Huell didn't look good that season is not the defense of L that you think it is.

In fact, it's exactly my point lol. He didn't get the most out of the considerable talent that team had.

If you're going to credit L when guys develop, you need to also criticize him for the few that don't.

I named 1 guy that wasn't on the roster, my b. The point stands.
So, it's on L that Huell was trash as a freshman? Huell was an overrated recruit that got exposed when he got to the collegiate level. Period. He couldn't even fill a role of minute eater, he was that useless as a true freshman. Going by your logic, that means L is the best coach ever because he had Bruce Brown playing at a high level as a true freshman. It couldn't be that some freshman are better prepared coming into college and that pays off, compared to an athlete that is pretending to play basketball. No, it was the coach, who spent all of 2-3 months with the guy(AT BEST) before the season started.

I didn't know you could "Develop" a guy in 2 months.

Considerable talent? You had a PG that couldn't shoot beyond 15 feet, you had a 5 star forward that couldn't even stay on the floor for 10 minutes per game. Yep, that's the second coming of Tark's UNLV teams...Either you are trolling, or just are desperate to blame L for SOMETHING.

So, it's on L that Huell was trash as a freshman? Huell was an overrated recruit that got exposed when he got to the collegiate level. Period. He couldn't even fill a role of minute eater, he was that useless as a true freshman. Going by your logic, that means L is the best coach ever because he had Bruce Brown playing at a high level as a true freshman. It couldn't be that some freshman are better prepared coming into college and that pays off, compared to an athlete that is pretending to play basketball. No, it was the coach, who spent all of 2-3 months with the guy(AT BEST) before the season started.

I didn't know you could "Develop" a guy in 2 months.

Considerable talent? You had a PG that couldn't shoot beyond 15 feet, you had a 5 star forward that couldn't even stay on the floor for 10 minutes per game. Yep, that's the second coming of Tark's UNLV teams...Either you are trolling, or just are desperate to blame L for SOMETHING.
Idk why you are so defensive about this. L is a great coach. He has had a lot of great years here. That was a C+ type of season given the talent on the roster. The team was less than the sum of its parts.

Newton was a big time talent. He never improved after his freshman year here. He's probably the biggest player development failure of the L era. Maybe no coach could've gotten more out of him. All we know is L didn't.

Huell was a talented kid from day 1. He had many limitations, especially early in his career. But the job of a coach is to find ways to maximize what players do well. He didn't do that in 2017. Could another coach have done that? Maybe, maybe not. All we know is L didn't.

By you logic, coaches should never be given credit or blame for anything, since it always comes down to the players.

Newton and Wong both played in the Philly area. Both slashers, not particularly good shooters. Both a little inconsistent from one game to the next. Wong's game being the better of the two, IMO.

Advertisement
Back