Who is here from old Grassy/Scout?

Advertisement
Gig em my man!

And try wearing seat belts next time when you and Jimmy get on that overpowered rocket boat while fishing.

We want you two around :welcoming:

and hey BTW I carried pictures of Spindle-top and the King Ranch just in case some babe asked me to prove it
Gig em my man!

And try wearing seat belts next time when you and Jimmy get on that overpowered rocket boat while fishing.

We want you two around :welcoming:

and hey BTW I carried pictures of Spindle-top and the King Ranch just in case some babe asked me to prove it
Lol, I wish you coulda seen the look on his face when he walked out the dock and saw that boat, woulda took 3 dl's to get him in it, he still thinks I have a ***** loose. Hey rep that Lone Star

Last edited:
hotshot. 10-15 years. Maybe more. Charlie Tate and I arrived at UM the same year.

At least a couple of players from your era posted on Grassy: Sigmar and IdahoCane. Both played on Tate's teams, although Idaho was always hurt and transferred out.

Advertisement
trying to find out what happened to random walk. he's not over here, unless he's posting under another name?
I always wondered about him...figured he had a finance background. Wondered if he took his screen name from the famous book on stock market theory called "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," by Burton Malkiel, I believe.

If any of you went to business school--and I know that many of you have--you might have studied the book.

Exactly.

D$ and Random Walk were both legit. So was Original Canes Fan.

That board went downhill fast, as Bakas was a sham.

OriginalCanesfan is a judge, I believe. Older than I am and has been around and close to the program for decades.

If he's on this board, it's probably under a different name, I guess.

I don't think Bakas was always a sham. There was a time-long before Ariz--that he was coming up with all the names of terrific S. Florida talent that were not on national lists. I remember because I subscribed to to the national recruiting services. Bakas used to know South Florida better.

I don"t know about recently. I think he's trying to run a service now to help kids who aren't heavily recruited find scholarship offers. Max Emfinger, at one time a recruiting "guru," has tried to do the same thing.

It's really kind if sad, at least what I saw of Emfinger's service. He was trying to market a lot of very marginal prospects, many from Florida. These were kids from, at best, very modest backgrounds, who were paying him to help them get noticed by a college somewhere. One year he set up a "national all-star game" in Louisiana and a bunch of kids' families had paid deposits but I think the game fell through because he didn't pay all the fees and costs associated with the game. I don't know what happened.

I'm not saying Bakas is like Emfinger.

I guess it's not all that cheap to try to get a college scholarship. I guess all the camps have fees. Some kids come from families with very little.

He's still on his board.
I just went over there. It's almost dead. Just about the only poster is MadStork and somebody named Moose.

Sad when you lose a good message board. Both Grassy and Shadow were good boards at one time.

Advertisement
Gary Ferman.

When Grassy started, people used to post Ferman's recruiting lists, verbatim.

He was always ****ed.

I just went over there. It's almost dead. Just about the only poster is MadStork and somebody named Moose.

Sad when you lose a good message board. Both Grassy and Shadow were good boards at one time.

The main board yes, but most topics are "Inside the locker room" - it's invite only. There are several who still post in there.

Advertisement
OriginalCanesfan is a judge, I believe. Older than I am and has been around and close to the program for decades.

If he's on this board, it's probably under a different name, I guess.

I don't think Bakas was always a sham. There was a time-long before Ariz--that he was coming up with all the names of terrific S. Florida talent that were not on national lists. I remember because I subscribed to to the national recruiting services. Bakas used to know South Florida better.

I don"t know about recently. I think he's trying to run a service now to help kids who aren't heavily recruited find scholarship offers. Max Emfinger, at one time a recruiting "guru," has tried to do the same thing.

It's really kind if sad, at least what I saw of Emfinger's service. He was trying to market a lot of very marginal prospects, many from Florida. These were kids from, at best, very modest backgrounds, who were paying him to help them get noticed by a college somewhere. One year he set up a "national all-star game" in Louisiana and a bunch of kids' families had paid deposits but I think the game fell through because he didn't pay all the fees and costs associated with the game. I don't know what happened.

I'm not saying Bakas is like Emfinger.

I guess it's not all that cheap to try to get a college scholarship. I guess all the camps have fees. Some kids come from families with very little.

you're probably right.

there was a time when bakas was all-in.

but the last 2-3 years, he checked out and the board went downhill fast.

I always wondered about him...figured he had a finance background. Wondered if he took his screen name from the famous book on stock market theory called "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," by Burton Malkiel, I believe.

If any of you went to business school--and I know that many of you have--you might have studied the book.

i did ... and i did!

Advertisement
I am still the same name Mcanerich... best friends with Little General and MiamiJoe... also talk weekly to my side kick in tailgate cooking Tenncane aka Bill and Hirkin aka Mike. We cooked 50 tailgates for Grassy than Canestime and lastly Canesoverhere. We retired. Randy and I and LG share tickets to home games . We all are in that pic at the RoseBowl where Bryan gave us all his new logo Canestime. I have been around since the beginning but don’t say much. I just watch the action on the board. Many a great away games, and to many tall tales. But age has caught up to George and me so we don’t go to all the games even though we keep season tickets. Nice seeing K9 on the board...

Also Canesoverhere is gone as I know of , Banner no longer runs a site. I have found all you guys came from Grassy and Canestime . I just like seeing the old guys from W2 and WEZ on here. Miss Cogs Ribs, and Geno going the cheer . He does come to some of the home games. It’s been a long 18-19 years on these boards as I was in my late 40’s at the time... Wow...

Advertisement
Back