Who had the best College and Pro career combined?

Best Overall Career

• Ted Hendricks

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Ray Lewis

Votes: 69 19.6%
  • Michael Irving

Votes: 68 19.3%
  • Russell Maryland

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Cortez Kennedy

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Ed Reed

Votes: 236 67.0%
  • Jim Kelly

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Warren Sapp

Votes: 22 6.3%

• Total voters
The final 4 is:

Ray Lewis
Michael Irvin
Ed Reed
Warren Sapp

I absolutely love Ted Hendricks. College - dominant individually, not on good UM teams. He had a few lean years in the NFL. To me, he JUST misses the Final 4.

Russell Maryland was one of my all-time favorites at the time I was a student at UM. Amazing UM career, earned a ring, not as dominant of an NFL career though.

People forget "The Tez" dance in the UM student section back in the day. People also forget that Cortez Kennedy was a JuCo transfer to UM, so he had a shorter UM career than most.

Jim Kelly, what else can you say about him. He was just unfortunate to be on some challenged UM teams, having to deal with probation and being a major independent. And I love Jim, but the USFL was the wrong way to go. Amazing NFL career, just wish he could have won ONE ring.

Now, on to the Final 4.

Ray did not play on the greatest teams, but he was amazing from his freshman year on. In his final (junior) year, he should have won the Butkus. No way in **** should Kevin Hardy have gotten that over Ray, Ray had 160 tackles. Of course, the BUTKUS award would go to a LB from Illinois. Ridiculous. As for the pro career, HOF and Super Bowl champ, enough said (same with the other three in the Final 4).

Michael, also a major player at UM from freshman year on. Set records at UM that were only recently broken. Should have won the Biletnikoff Award, except it wasn't created until 1994. HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Ed has similar credentials to Ray and Michael EXCEPT that he stayed for 4 years instead of 3, and we all know what that led to. Should have won the Thorpe Award. HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Warren has similar credentials to all of the above EXCEPT he won some national player awards AND finished 6th in the Heisman balloting AS A DT. Also HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Good lord, a 4-way Sophie's Choice.

Michael, Ed, and Warren have NCAA rings.

Michael and Ed are very nice guys and UM ambassadors.

Ed stayed all 4 years.

OK, I'm voting for Ed.

[EDIT: I think I have to vote for my fraternity brother, a man I had the privilege of spending time with on multiple occasions in the 1980s, the one and only Mad Stork! I'm biased, I admit it, plus I used to have his NFL trading card when I was a kid. As with the 1983 Canes, I am vaulting my #5 ranked guy into the #1 position!]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I want to know what it says about a person who comments on Martland, when you should know what was meant, vs someone who doesn't comment at all and lets it slide.

Do a poll with that...

Advertisement
Hendricks. 3x AA (?), has 4 SB rings, NFL HOF
Didn't one of the UM coaches say had they kept official sack stats that Hendricks had over 100? I know he sacked Spurrier what, 6-7 times? This was the weekend after Spurrier won the Heisman. People just have no clue how dominant he was.

Only reason he wasn't a 4X AA is because he wasn't allowed to play as a freshman.

So for anyone who says someone else, and it isn't close, you don't know your history. There's a reason there is an award named after Hendricks.

Ed Reed, but in college history probably Deion sanders.
Threaten No Problem GIF by Bounce

Advertisement
This is one I get passionate about. It is Ted Hendricks and everybody else is in second.

327 total tackles in 3 years. Still unsurpassed by any Miami defensive line.
2X First Team All-American
1X Second Team All-American
Beat the bejesus out of Spurrier to a point Spurrier threw a football at Hendricks that struck his facemask not to take another sack
College Football Hall of Fame
Oh, and they named an annual award after him.

4X Super Bowl champion
8X Pro Bowl
4X First Team All-NFL
2X Second Team All-NFL
First Team All-NFL 1970s
First Team All-NFL 1980s
75th Anniversary All-NFL
100th Anniversary All- NFL
NFL Hall of Fame

And one of the greatest pictures of all-time in the Florida-Miami series.
1641494985525.png

Your honor I rest my case.

Advertisement
The final 4 is:

Ray Lewis
Michael Irvin
Ed Reed
Warren Sapp

I absolutely love Ted Hendricks. College - dominant individually, not on good UM teams. He had a few lean years in the NFL. To me, he JUST misses the Final 4.

Russell Maryland was one of my all-time favorites at the time I was a student at UM. Amazing UM career, earned a ring, not as dominant of an NFL career though.

People forget "The Tez" dance in the UM student section back in the day. People also forget that Cortez Kennedy was a JuCo transfer to UM, so he had a shorter UM career than most.

Jim Kelly, what else can you say about him. He was just unfortunate to be on some challenged UM teams, having to deal with probation and being a major independent. And I love Jim, but the USFL was the wrong way to go. Amazing NFL career, just wish he could have won ONE ring.

Now, on to the Final 4.

Ray did not play on the greatest teams, but he was amazing from his freshman year on. In his final (junior) year, he should have won the Butkus. No way in **** should Kevin Hardy have gotten that over Ray, Ray had 160 tackles. Of course, the BUTKUS award would go to a LB from Illinois. Ridiculous. As for the pro career, HOF and Super Bowl champ, enough said (same with the other three in the Final 4).

Michael, also a major player at UM from freshman year on. Set records at UM that were only recently broken. Should have won the Biletnikoff Award, except it wasn't created until 1994. HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Ed has similar credentials to Ray and Michael EXCEPT that he stayed for 4 years instead of 3, and we all know what that led to. Should have won the Thorpe Award. HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Warren has similar credentials to all of the above EXCEPT he won some national player awards AND finished 6th in the Heisman balloting AS A DT. Also HOF and Super Bowl champ.

Good lord, a 4-way Sophie's Choice.

Michael, Ed, and Warren have NCAA rings.

Michael and Ed are very nice guys and UM ambassadors.

Ed stayed all 4 years.

OK, I'm voting for Ed.

[EDIT: I think I have to vote for my fraternity brother, a man I had the privilege of spending time with on multiple occasions in the 1980s, the one and only Mad Stork! I'm biased, I admit it, plus I used to have his NFL trading card when I was a kid. As with the 1983 Canes, I am vaulting my #5 ranked guy into the #1 position!]
I cannot put Tez over Jerome or Sapp, because he only played 2yrs....Maryland, although a Great player...was notorious for taking plays off, even with Dallas....something unbeknownst to Sapp and Jerome...

I know Reed and Lewis were fantastically good and my mind would say it’s a toss up between the two of them, however, back in the day the Mad Stork was in one of my classes, so I gotta stick with him —— Ted “The Mad Stork” Hendricks all the way!!!!!
Hendricks was such a revolutionary player in both college and the NFL. Teams play called away from him.

He would still be an all pro today.

Advertisement
The Ted Hendricks Award is given annually to college football's top defensive end. The award is named after Ted Hendricks, who is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame

The man has a **** award named after him.

Makin' me feel even better about my vote!

I think Shorty's BBQ has an award named after Warren Sapp...

I keed, I keed...

Advertisement
Back