Who got link with Bball staff? *Recruit 2024*

Mychal was a helluva player. 5x NBA All-Star. First pick in the '78 NBA Draft.

Didn't even start playing the game until he was 16. Came to Miami and led his Jackson HS team to the state championship. Undefeated, iirc. Won most games by 30 points or so.

Bet there's an interesting back story on how he ended up in frigid Minneapolis playing for the Gophers. UM had already dropped basketball so the Canes were not an option.
If I'm not mistaken, that Jackson team had 2-3 future NBA players and a Harlem Globetrotter legend. All 4 were from the Bahamas and all 4 went Division I. The lone starter who wasn't Bahamian was a Cuban, Julio Davila.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If I'm not mistaken, that Jackson team had 3 future NBA players and a Harlem Globetrotter legend.
Team was known as the "Jackson Five." A couple starters went to the Univ of Houston; Mychal and another starter went to the Univ of Minnesota. Four of the starting five were Bahamians, the fifth starter, Julio Gonzalez, a refugee from Cuba.

I think only Mychal really made it in the NBA. One of his teammates was drafted by the Phoenix Suns but don't think he ever played.

Team was known as the "Jackson Five." A couple starters went to the Univ of Houston; Mychal and another starter went to the Univ of Minnesota. Four of the starting five were Bahamians, the fifth starter, Julio Gonzalez, a refugee from Cuba.

I think only Mychal really made it in the NBA. One of his teammates was drafted by the Phoenix Suns but don't think he ever played.
Fifth starter was Julio DAVILA, not Julio Gonzalez. I'm telling you. Ain't asking. LOL! He's still around and if I'm not mistaken last time I checked was still active on the Masters circuit playing in the 55 and over leagues all over the world.

Charles Thompson played in the league as well. Not sure to what extent, but it was for at least a couple of years if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong but I wasn't even a year old when they were at Jackson.

Cecil Rose became a local legend in inner city Miami with the old heads. To this day, a lot of those old timers who are still around talk about what could've been with him.

Osborne Lockhart was the Harlem Globetrotter and he was a popular figure for them in the 80's and 90's.

A little before my time, but I'm an alumni and if you look at a map Miami Jackson is located in Allapattah. LOL!

Last edited:
Fifth starter was Julio DAVILA, not Julio Gonzalez. I'm telling you. Ain't asking. LOL! He's still around and if I'm not mistaken last time I checked was still active on the Masters circuit playing in the 55 and over leagues all over the world.

Charles Thompson played in the league as well. Not sure to what extent, but it was for at least a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

Cecil Rose became a local legend in inner city Miami with the old heads. To this day, a lot of those old timers who are still around talk about what could've been with him.

Osborne Lockhart was the Harlem Globetrotter and he was a popular figure for them in the 80's and 90's.

A little before my time, but I'm an alumni. I know that much.
I'll take ur word on Julio Davila but check this Bahamian article out. Shows where I got my "Julio Gonzalez" info from.

By FELICITY DARVILLE

#The year was 1973 – the glorious year of Independence for The Bahamas. There was a lot to be proud of. There was such a sense of pride in being Bahamian; having a flag of our own, a national anthem and a pledge. The people of The Bahamas were committed to moving forward, upward and onward together. Bahamians were making their presence felt in the world in many disciplines; among them - athletics.

#Bahamians who recall this time in our nation’s history know the story of The Jackson Five well. There were five teenage boys attending Miami Jackson Senior High School who were the starters on the basketball team, the Generals. Their prowess in the sport was so great that news of them spread through the country, across the United States and the Caribbean. The Miami Jackson Generals were such a force to be reckoned with they were nicknamed The Jackson Five. They dominated the basketball court – and four of them were Bahamians.

#By the time they came home to see the black, aquamarine and gold flag hoisted for the first time on July 10, 1973, they received a heroes’ welcome. The four teenagers included Mychal “Sweetbells” Thompson, Osborne “Goose” Lockhart, Cecil Rose, and the subject of today’s Face to Face – Charles “Old Cowheeler” Thompson. The fifth star team member was Julio Gonzalez, a Cuban refugee.

I'll take ur word on Julio Davila but check this Bahamian article out. Shows where I got my "Julio Gonzalez" info from.

By FELICITY DARVILLE

#The year was 1973 – the glorious year of Independence for The Bahamas. There was a lot to be proud of. There was such a sense of pride in being Bahamian; having a flag of our own, a national anthem and a pledge. The people of The Bahamas were committed to moving forward, upward and onward together. Bahamians were making their presence felt in the world in many disciplines; among them - athletics.

#Bahamians who recall this time in our nation’s history know the story of The Jackson Five well. There were five teenage boys attending Miami Jackson Senior High School who were the starters on the basketball team, the Generals. Their prowess in the sport was so great that news of them spread through the country, across the United States and the Caribbean. The Miami Jackson Generals were such a force to be reckoned with they were nicknamed The Jackson Five. They dominated the basketball court – and four of them were Bahamians.

#By the time they came home to see the black, aquamarine and gold flag hoisted for the first time on July 10, 1973, they received a heroes’ welcome. The four teenagers included Mychal “Sweetbells” Thompson, Osborne “Goose” Lockhart, Cecil Rose, and the subject of today’s Face to Face – Charles “Old Cowheeler” Thompson. The fifth star team member was Julio Gonzalez, a Cuban refugee.
Only in Miami! I googled Julio Davila and look what pops out.... LOL!!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/article175548146.html

Advertisement

Charles Thompson played in the league as well. Not sure to what extent, but it was for at least a couple of years if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong but I wasn't even a year old when they were at Jackson.

A little before my time, but I'm an alumni and if you look at a map Miami Jackson is located in Allapattah. LOL!
I only know of Thompson because my dad taught math at Jackson for 30 years.

Russell, I passed Lenny Harris :)

My dad took me to a few Soul Bowls where we were a few of the only whites in the stands. Yes, I was at the one where Jackson actually had a good squad and Antonio Bryant broke their hearts with a last minute TD.

Childhood memories!

Advertisement
Back