X's and O's Who Ends Up With "Better" Run: Riley vs Cristobal

Advertisement
Riley is going to get the hype and results both early and down the road. His style of coaching generates excitement and makes recruiting easy for him. If he could pull the top QB's and WR's he did at fugggen Oklahoma, based mostly on his style of coaching, then imagine what he will do at USC? He instantly had the nations top QB's, WR's RB's transfer and signing with USC just based purely on his X's and O's coaching style. That will go a long way for him. How many top national players followed Mario to Miami?

Mario's entire career and level of sustained success will be heavily dependent on his Offensive Coordinator hire(s). That has yet to prove successful for him a top national level at any job he's had.

Riley doesn't spend time talking about 'Culture' and 'Work ethic' etc. He spends time talking about football. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a jump to the NFL in a few years when he gets bored at USC

Riley will win a championship at usc before all is said and done. He’s one of the best coaches in college football. Can’t say the same for Mario unfortunately.

I hope Mario can.. I'm not saying he will but I think he is more committed to it and has the resume, experience, and resources to do it.

I don't think Riley has Mario's commitment/passion level nor his experience for program building. He has the resources obviously and a schematic advantage. I think the schematic advantage will lead to short term and immediate success but doesn't possess the same sustainability as the experience/passion/commitment Mario has for long term success.
At FIU, Mario had a 35% win average
At Oregon, which already had a decent program, he held serve.
2021, signature win against OSU, and a double belly flop against Utah.
What do you see that he will take Miami to the promised land..

Advertisement
At FIU, Mario had a 35% win average
At Oregon, which already had a decent program, he held serve.
2021, signature win against OSU, and a double belly flop against Utah.
What do you see that he will take Miami to the promised land..
I didn't say he would.

I just have higher belief in him long term than Riley.

And anybody that used Mario's win % at FIU as an argument against him is being disingenuous.

I didn't say he would.

I just have higher belief in him long term than Riley.

And anybody that used Mario's win % at FIU as an argument against him is being disingenuous.
It is what it is, ****..

Prediction. When Mario gets this thing rolling the majority of the Mario haters will be the first guys back in their camo shorts and swag hats saying I knew it all along.

giphy.webp

Advertisement
Riley n I don't thank it's even close. Both play n weak conferences. Riley is capitalizing n Mario is not. Mario came n with the better team. Sorry folks his coaching ability is suspect so far.

I wouldn’t call both conferences “weak.” I would call The Coastal weak, but the ACC had 4 teams that had 9+ wins.

The SEC had 4
The B1G had 4
The Big 12 had 3
The PAC-12 had 2

But yes, Riley is going to dominate the PAC-12 b/c SC is the crown jewel of that conference. Now, once the switch happens to the B1G, he may bolt. Some fans r a little worried about that.

It helps however, when u literally change the landscape of ur team by bring over via the portal:

1. #1 QB
2. #1 WR
3. #2 WR
4. #1 LB
5. #3 RB
6. #12 WR

& flip ur 3rd rank TF running back from OU.

I guarantee u, if Riley didn’t do damage by becoming the #1 Portal school, SC would win no mare than 9 games this yr. The team, the fit was a mess. Kudos to him for getting guys who fit his system where the main guy, his QB, is already familiar w/.

Advertisement
Cristobal isn't close to being in the same tier as Riley as a coach. It's the unfortunate truth. That doesn't guarantee Riley will be better, but him running an elite and modern offense will give him an advantage. Fortunately for Mario he has all the money behind him and just has to nail his hires.

That's how it is with getting a CEO type. With Riley he comes with his scheme which is great. With Mario he doesn't come with anything other than a reputation for recruiting well.

Riley is a better coach than Mario and it's not really close. Doesn't mean Mario is bad, he just works harder and not smarter. There was a clear path to success with a great QB in an attractive offense to recruits (if he simply did an offense from this era) but Mario is taking the scenic route to success (hopefully).

Advertisement
Mario came in with the better team? Riley brought quarterback Caleb Williams with him from OU and stole Jordan Addison—the Biletnikoff winner—from the Portal.

Might've helped the offense there just a smidge, no?
Talent wise Miami is ranked 13th nationally. USC is behind Miami in that category. This comes down to coaching my friend. Reality this team should be 4 n 0. 3 n 1 at the most. We haven't played a **** soul. I hope he can turn this thing around fast. But what I saw the last game was deer eyes my friend. Plain n Simple

Advertisement
Back