Who actually graduated the U?

Advertisement
What exactly does that mean?
It's his condescending way of referring to fans who didn't attend the school. It's like that scene from Goodfellas when Henry Hill tells Karen after she pulls a gun on him, "I got enough to worry about getting whacked on the street! I gotta come home for this?"

I field snide comments about my Miami fandom from non-Canes in non-Canes territory. I don't have to come to a Canes board and do the same.

It's his condescending way of referring to fans who didn't attend the school. It's like that scene from Goodfellas when Henry Hill tells Karen after she pulls a gun on him, "I got enough to worry about getting whacked on the street! I gotta come home for this?"

I field snide comments about my Miami fandom from non-Canes in non-Canes territory. I don't have to come to a Canes board and do the same.

Completely agree

I’ve defended this U for over three decades, the highs the lows and everything in between.

It is very condescending but I should of known it was coming when the thread title says “actually” attended the U.

Advertisement
Where are you hearing this? And what is he doing or not doing that is horrendous?

I’m not disputing you because usually I’m not interested enough to keep up with academia politics and gossip, but I am around UM people often enough to maybe have gotten a whiff, but like I said, I don’t delve into that too much, so who knows.

But your comment jumped out at me because it was pretty stark so I’m interested in knowing a little more detail, because it’s no small thing.

I’ve seen him around, and sit pretty near his box at the games so I’ve seen him there too, don’t feel any which way about him to be honest.

I have a bunch of friends who are closely connected to UM. Employees. Alumni Association. Iron Arrow.

Frenk's a piece of work. His wife too.

Just remember this thread in a couple of years. We can talk more then. This isn't just gossip, it's a lot of people who wanted Frenk to be a great leader and president, but have been very disappointed. We should have hired the Admiral.

Advertisement
Ok..but what are they saying? What are his failings? Usually when people say someone is “horrendous” or “not good“ there are usually specifics associated with it, at least one or two anyway.

Not going to get into a lot of specifics right now. A lot of it is arrogance and entitlement. They treat a lot of people poorly.

Foote and Shalala had a lot of differences in their personalities, but both were largely beloved by the UM community. Frenk is not.

including the Admiral as a finalist was a ploy by those who supported Frenk or any other liberal to make to ensure that Frenk would be nominated since UM would not, IMHO, ever name a military man as a president, especially one that is not a liberal. the faculty would melt. the admiral was never a real choice, though i would have loved to take the position.

Not true.

It was (stupidly) about money. The first offer was to the Admiral.

We had no computer registration my first year. They had booths in the student union and got cards from the teachers to register.

Sounds like we went to UM at the same exact time.

Old IBM computer punch cards. You had to register for classes like you were collecting Pokemon cards or something. If you decided to drop a class, you had to turn in the old punch card, and then each college or school would have to reprint new punch cards for the next day of registration. Literally, you could pick up the last spot in a class, decide you wanted a different class 5 minutes later, and nobody else could get into that class until the next day. Then, once you had your 5 or 6 classes, you would turn in all your punch cards to "register".

We had separate student IDs (non-magnetic) and cafeteria cards (magnetic). Originally, you could only use your cafeteria card in the actual full-meal cafeterias, not the Ibis or the fake Burger King next to the pool.

Look, I know Poptimus, and he is a great guy. At the same time, we all have to acknowledge that there were a ton of people who "became" Miami fans in the 80s and 90s and who break out their Miami gear when we win games.

I don't think that anyone who invests the time on this board are quite like THOSE fans. But those fans do exist.

I love all of the hardcore UM fans. At the same time, for those of us who do get taunted about whether we "went" to UM, we take great pride in saying "yes I did" and shutting up those jacka$$es. Good lord, I once encountered a couple of idiot F$U fans (at Joke Campbell) who tried to quiz me on a UM jersey I was wearing, and when I told them it was a Herb Waters jersey, they just shut the fvck up (partially because I don't think they even knew who Herb Waters was or what number he wore).

No need for any Miami-fan-on-Miami-fan insults. We're all good.

Advertisement
Not going to get into a lot of specifics right now. A lot of it is arrogance and entitlement. They treat a lot of people poorly.

Foote and Shalala had a lot of differences in their personalities, but both were largely beloved by the UM community. Frenk is not.

The number one, two, three responsibilities are fundraising. If he’s good at that they’re not going to get rid of him, If he isn’t, it won’t matter how well loved he is

Advertisement
Completely agree

I’ve defended this U for over three decades, the highs the lows and everything in between.

It is very condescending but I should of known it was coming when the thread title says “actually” attended the U.

Next time, notice if they're wearing any branded clothing and fire back.

No, do you work at Bass Pro Shops?
No, when did you play for the Patriots?
Etc.

The number one, two, three responsibilities are fundraising. If he’s good at that they’re not going to get rid of him, If he isn’t, it won’t matter how well loved he is

Yeah, whatever you want to believe. We also have a US President who claims he won't be impeached "because he's doing a great job".

Tad raised a lot of money and, separately, he was very well-liked. Donna raised a lot of money and, separately, she was very well-liked. UM President isn't some ****-ant job. We don't have to settle for someone just because he's "good at fundraising".

Frenk will not get a contract renewal/extension. If you're a Frenk fanatic, I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the "good at fundraising" basket.

Yeah, whatever you want to believe. We also have a US President who claims he won't be impeached "because he's doing a great job".

Tad raised a lot of money and, separately, he was very well-liked. Donna raised a lot of money and, separately, she was very well-liked. UM President isn't some ****-ant job. We don't have to settle for someone just because he's "good at fundraising".

Frenk will not get a contract renewal/extension. If you're a Frenk fanatic, I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the "good at fundraising" basket.

I’m not a Frenk fanatic. Could care less who’s president. I just know that it’s the fundraising. I have no idea how he’s doing on the fundraising by the way. Yes he has administrative duties and must effectively lead in an academic sense (rankings, etc), but if he’s not fundraising at a high level (at or exceeding expectations) he’s as good as gone. If he’s blowing the doors off the fundraising he’s most likely going to stay. Common sense.

I don’t pretend to have any inside information, because the people that actually would be involved in the decision making about whether a university president goes or stays are probably not going to be talking about it (except to an extremely tiny circle of people).

Advertisement
Back