Who actually graduated the U?

Advertisement
Man the music engineering program is top-notch too!

@TitansHope @ghost2

It was at UM that I was introduced to real jazz (like I said before I was not a music major, nor do I have any talent nor particularly good ear, I guess it’s just a genetic thing)

Since I’m unfamiliar with jazz from a technical or academic perspective, what area did you specialize in, what instruments, what kind of jazz?

@TitansHope @ghost2

It was at UM that I was introduced to real jazz (like I said before I was not a music major, nor do I have any talent nor particularly good ear, I guess it’s just a genetic thing)

Since I’m unfamiliar with jazz from a technical or academic perspective, what area did you specialize in, what instruments, what kind of jazz?

Well I'm a trombone player by trade, spent 3 years in CJB at Miami, I now teach trombone and jazz at Jacksonville State University in Alabama. As for style, I try to make sure I can cover the whole spectrum from New Orleans to modern and everything in between. At least everything that uses a trombone lol.

I actually got into Miami football because my teaching assistantship was with the Band of the Hour, so I was at every game. First game was a home opener vs. FAMU and I was hooked from then on. My very first live college bowl game experience was the 03 Fiesta. I don't like to talk about it lol. Thankfully I was drunk for most of it. But I did get to see some good ones - Wide Left, the UF comeback with Berlin, the Soak at Doak... Good times.

Advertisement
@TitansHope @ghost2

i was a jazz guitar principal- to be honest i knew almost nothing about jazz going into college but i wanted to study music engineering and i knew i had to audition on jazz or classical if i wanted to get in on guitar, which has always been my primary instrument. and i sure as **** wasn't gonna get in if i tried classical, lol. so i busted my *** learning the audition materials, somehow got in (and lucked into enough scholarship $$$ that i was actually able to attend), and then arrived at school and discovered exactly how much i had left to learn: a LOT, lol. a lot of the students at UM were on a whole other level and into all kinds of out-there stuff, but i always liked pretty straight-ahead, hard-bop style stuff- basically what most people think of when they think of jazz. miles davis, clifford brown, blue note records, etc.

I actually got into Miami football because my teaching assistantship was with the Band of the Hour, so I was at every game. First game was a home opener vs. FAMU and I was hooked from then on. My very first live college bowl game experience was the 03 Fiesta. I don't like to talk about it lol. Thankfully I was drunk for most of it. But I did get to see some good ones - Wide Left, the UF comeback with Berlin, the Soak at Doak... Good times.
i was at UM from 2012-2016 so it was pretty dark times.....never saw an FSU win, and 58-0 and golden getting fired was my senior year. still, got to be in the crowd for the last time we beat UF, which was fun, and got to see duke johnson tear it up a few times.

Well I'm a trombone player by trade, spent 3 years in CJB at Miami, I now teach trombone and jazz at Jacksonville State University in Alabama. As for style, I try to make sure I can cover the whole spectrum from New Orleans to modern and everything in between. At least everything that uses a trombone lol.

What would you say is the quintessential trombone jazz piece from the last hundred years? Or one in which the trombone was an integral part or highlighted. Or several pieces. I really did get into jazz music when I was in college. All kinds. You know what I’ve been listening to lately for some odd reason is Billie Holiday. I don’t guess she’s jazz, maybe more like blues. But still. There is something so haunting about her voice, her music, and then thinking back to the period in which she sang it, when it could not have been easy for her anybody of her race

i was a jazz guitar principal- to be honest i knew almost nothing about jazz going into college but i wanted to study music engineering and i knew i had to audition on jazz or classical if i wanted to get in on guitar, which has always been my primary instrument. and i sure as **** wasn't gonna get in if i tried classical, lol. so i busted my *** learning the audition materials, somehow got in (and lucked into enough scholarship $$$ that i was actually able to attend), and then arrived at school and discovered exactly how much i had left to learn: a LOT, lol. a lot of the students at UM were on a whole other level and into all kinds of out-there stuff, but i always liked pretty straight-ahead, hard-bop style stuff- basically what most people think of when they think of jazz. miles davis, clifford brown, blue note records, etc.

i was at UM from 2012-2016 so it was pretty dark times.....never saw an FSU win, and 58-0 and golden getting fired was my senior year. still, got to be in the crowd for the last time we beat UF, which was fun, and got to see duke johnson tear it up a few times.

Good post.

Don’t know how people can play an instrument with everything on the line like that. Good for you. Clutch.

Advertisement

Just now reading this before my previous post lol. Im a huge fan of the Marching 100. It was the opposite for me...I was a huge football fan and always went to Norland High football games as a kid, and their band was so good that I was determined to join them if I didnt keep growing to stick with football. I ended up being the Section Leader(percussion) and Band Captain. Had Miami's Frost Band (Jazz band nick name right?) Perform at our high school and try to recruit some of our player's. I ended up trying to join the Marine Corps band but they fvcked me out of an audition lol.

Edit: Also, my favorite fanfare in all of band is JSU Trombone's Proud Family

What would you say is the quintessential trombone jazz piece from the last hundred years? Or one in which the trombone was an integral part or highlighted. Or several pieces. I really did get into jazz music when I was in college. All kinds. You know what I’ve been listening to lately for some odd reason is Billie Holiday. I don’t guess she’s jazz, maybe more like blues. But still. There is something so haunting about her voice, her music, and then thinking back to the period in which she sang it, when it could not have been easy for her anybody of her race

Man Billie was incomparable - nobody like her before or since. There's surprisingly a lot to choose from in trombone jazz lol. For "YouTubeability" go check out Jack Teagarden, Frank Rosolino, JJ Johnson, and Carl Fontana. Also I love Jimmy Pankow (Chicago) and Bruce Fowler (Zappa.)

Advertisement
Didn't attend UM, but was born in Doctor's on campus in 69.
My dad used to hop the fence with his friends to watch practice when he was a kid. Kept me interested in the program throughout my life.

Ironically in recent years, the rest of my family including my dad became Nole fans, while I stayed true to the bloodline.
I attended FSU 90-93 due to differences in tuition cost, but never waivered.
Painted an entire wall green, with a 10-ft []_[] in my frat house room off of South Woodward.
Was quite hated by my "brothers" because of this.

Advertisement
This was not a question to disenfranchise all the great fans who weren’t fortunate enough to go to the U. They are truly some of the greatest fans.

Sorry - that wasn't a shot at you OP. I didn't mean for it to read like that. It's a legit question in this forum.

Man Billie was incomparable - nobody like her before or since. There's surprisingly a lot to choose from in trombone jazz lol. For "YouTubeability" go check out Jack Teagarden, Frank Rosolino, JJ Johnson, and Carl Fontana. Also I love Jimmy Pankow (Chicago) and Bruce Fowler (Zappa.)
Chicago is one of my all time favorites - especially the early years. Jimmy's highly underrated and a helluva song writer as well. He, Parazaider on Sax, and Lochnane on trumpet are one of the best trios of all time IMO. Seen them in concert 11 times.

Advertisement
Back