Who’s “Next” on the Canes Roster?

maurice3p

Senior
We haven’t had an NFL (top 5) player at his position at the University of Miami in years (Jimmy Graham maybe?).

FSU has Derwin James & Jalen Ramsey. Who if anybody on roster the next 4 years can be a transcendent player in the NFL?

Advertisement
This isn’t factual

Calais Campbell was 2nd in mvp just last season. Top 5 salary at his position and one of the most productive defensive lineman since he’s been in the league. He’s absolutely one for the elite dlineman in the league

Brandon Linder - top 3 in center salary and he’s one of the best lineman in the game

Oliver Vernon- not many edge rushers have been more consistent than him the last 6 years. Don’t think he’s top 5 but he’s definitely one of the better edge rushers and productive.

I agree With the other positions we don’t have top 5 players outside of tight end

Imo Top 5 lists are subjunctive, people wouldn’t believe it but did you know Lamar Miller has the 2nd most rushing yards in the league since 2014 by a rb? Still not imo a top 5 rb though

In regards to who’s next, I’m not sure, maybe Gerald Willis.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This isn’t factual

Calais Campbell was 2nd in mvp just last season. Top 5 salary at his position and one of the most productive defensive lineman since he’s been in the league. He’s absolutely one for the elite dlineman in the league

Brandon Linder - top 3 in center salary and he’s one of the best lineman in the game

Oliver Vernon- not many edge rushers have been more consistent than him the last 6 years.

I agree With the other positions we don’t have top 5 players outside of tight end

Imo Top 5 lists are subjunctive, people wouldn’t believe it but did you know Lamar Miller has the 2nd most rushing yards in the league since 2014 by a rb? Still not imo a top 5 rb though

Disagree on Vernon. Very well paid (Giants fans would say vastly overpaid) and plays hard, but he's just a guy.

Advertisement
No one, we dont get those type of guys for ages. JT4 is our best player in a real long time and hes not top 5 cause of his size.

He's talking about players in the NFL right now, or players that will be drafted (I assume). As a poster mentioned above, we already have a couple players who can be considered top 5 in their position. Also, Jaquan Johnson was 2nd team All-American which is pretty much Top 5 for Safeties if we're talking college.

Last edited:
Campbell and Linder are definitely top 5 at their position. You can make an argument that Campbell is a top 5 defensive player regardless of position.

Vernon has been a consistently solid player but is vastly overpaid. I'll never blame a guy for taking a huge contract but I also don't blame the Dolphins for not trying to match the Giants offer.

Advertisement
This isn’t factual

Oliver Vernon- not many edge rushers have been more consistent than him the last 6 years.

Campbell was in our 2004 recruiting class IIRC. The question is RECENTLY. Also, Campbell is a guy who hit his potential in the nfl. He was a second round pick, and hence not ‘that guy’ heading into the nfl draft, which the OP seems to be asking about.

Linder and vernon keep getting hyped for their contracts. It’s obscene around here how that has become the standard (or standard excuse) - not how they’ve performed, but money. Sad because the knock on vernon at UM was he was just passing through, not all about this team. In any case, Vernon has one solitary second team all pro award and linder has no all pro awards, at least according to their respective wiki pages, so not sure they’re the guys we should be holding up as the heirs to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Campbell was in our 2004 recruiting class IIRC. The question is RECENTLY. Also, Campbell is a guy who hit his potential in the nfl. He was a second round pick, and hence not ‘that guy’ heading into the nfl draft, which the OP seems to be asking about.

Linder and vernon keep getting hyped for their contracts. It’s obscene around here how that has become the standard (or standard excuse) - not how they’ve performed, but money. Sad because the knock on vernon at UM was he was just passing through, not all about this team. In any case, Vernon has one solitary second team all pro award and linder has no all pro awards, at least according to their respective wiki pages, so not sure they’re the guys we should be holding up as the heirs to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.
No one said they were Ed Reed or Lewis, but they are **** good players in the league. And fwiw I think Campbell will eventually be a hall of fame player too

Jon Beason and Jessie Armstead dint get that much attention around here compared to some other guys. Armstead was 4x all pro, 5x pro bowl, right below HOF level. Beason was 3x/4x. Vilma was 3x pro bowl and defensive ROY. Those guys played in the shadow of lewis, reed, wayne, a. Johnson, edge, gore.... That’s the context for wondering who’s next. And it’s also the context for the persistent discussion around here as to whether our talent has declined (it clearly has).

Advertisement
No one said they were Ed Reed or Lewis, but they are **** good players in the league. And fwiw I think Campbell will eventually be a hall of fame player too
No one said those guys you mentioned weren’t good. That’s just you whining at the OP and looking for a fake argument. Top 5 player in the league was the OP’s reference. Seems to equate to all pro, more or less. Just because we have good players in the league doesn’t mean no one should ask about a finer set of standards. UM sent many HOF players to the league from the ‘80s - ‘00s.

Jon Beason and Jessie Armstead dint get that much attention around here compared to some other guys. Armstead was 4x all pro, 5x pro bowl, right below HOF level. Beason was 3x/4x. Vilma was 3x pro bowl and defensive ROY. Those guys played in the shadow of lewis, reed, wayne, a. Johnson, edge, gore.... That’s the context for wondering who’s next. And it’s also the context for the persistent discussion around here as to whether our talent has declined (it clearly has).
It has if you measuring from what we had in the league From 2000-2010(maybe a couple years beyond that), no one hasn’t said that isn’t the case. But Miami is still tied for 4th most nfl players in the league and will put at least 7 more this class

It has if you measuring from what we had in the league From 2000-2010(maybe a couple years beyond that), no one hasn’t said that isn’t the case. But Miami is still tied for 4th most nfl players in the league and will put at least 7 more this class

Whatever man. Start your own thread if you want. It’s not like we havent had them already. Just because we have guys in the pros doesnt mean they’re all equally talented or all pro level. Nothing wrong with people talking about that, despite your apparent desire to try to silence the debate.

Advertisement
Back