Which year do you think had the finest defense?

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
7 First Round Draft Picks
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#2 in total defense in NCAA
#4 in scoring defense

This. 2003 Had upperclassmen stars in Sean Taylor, Vilma, DJ, Wilford, Antrel Rolle and young talent in Baraka Atkins, Rocky McIntosh , Kelly Jennings, Meriweather. Only Brock Berlin pooping himself in the OB against Tennessee held that squad back

the vt game too....2 of his picks were pick sixes, and i think another turnover lead to anoher td....dont do that and they only score 10 pts

Don't make up **** man, 1 of his picks was returned by Eric Green for a TD. DeAngelo Hall returned a TD when he took the ball from Parrish on a reverse. The other 17 points came from a FG, a 2 yard TD run by Jones and a 46 yard pass from Marcus to Wilford. Kevin Everett dropped a pass when he was in the endzone by himself and that great 03 defense gave up 17 points to a team that completed 2 passes.

The poster you quoted trying to lay sole blame on Brock for the Tennessee game when he fails to mention Sean Taylor fumbling the ball on a ret with 1:55 left in the game.

dont get butt hurt bruh....it was berlins fault...my bad...forgot about roscoes fumble...but yet, it was mostly brocks fault that we lost that game....how many turovers and ****** plays did he have that game. Yes he had one pic 6,butbi **** sure know he threw another bs interception that was returned for a long gain

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
He had a wide open Winslow for a TD that should have been an easy throw that he missed and would have won the game. That was the one that really stands out to me. If it wasn't for that game, Brock would be viewed much differently in Hurricane history. He was a solid QB for us

Go back and watch the games in the 80s against Oklahoma's juggernaut offenses. We lived in their backfield. More contemporary teams, I seem to remember 2003 being supremely dominant. Our offense took a pretty decent step back that year and put our defense in bad spots. We had the record we did because of our defense and special teams.

Yeah, I'm going with the one that snapped Troy's leg like a twig. Those boys in the 80's destroyed the OU program and eliminated the option for football.

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
7 First Round Draft Picks
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#2 in total defense in NCAA
#4 in scoring defense

This. 2003 Had upperclassmen stars in Sean Taylor, Vilma, DJ, Wilford, Antrel Rolle and young talent in Baraka Atkins, Rocky McIntosh , Kelly Jennings, Meriweather. Only Brock Berlin pooping himself in the OB against Tennessee held that squad back

the vt game too....2 of his picks were pick sixes, and i think another turnover lead to anoher td....dont do that and they only score 10 pts

Don't make up **** man, 1 of his picks was returned by Eric Green for a TD. DeAngelo Hall returned a TD when he took the ball from Parrish on a reverse. The other 17 points came from a FG, a 2 yard TD run by Jones and a 46 yard pass from Marcus to Wilford. Kevin Everett dropped a pass when he was in the endzone by himself and that great 03 defense gave up 17 points to a team that completed 2 passes.

The poster you quoted trying to lay sole blame on Brock for the Tennessee game when he fails to mention Sean Taylor fumbling the ball on a ret with 1:55 left in the game.

dont get butt hurt bruh....it was berlins fault...my bad...forgot about roscoes fumble...but yet, it was mostly brocks fault that we lost that game....how many turovers and ****ty plays did he have that game. Yes he had one pic 6,butbi **** sure know he threw another bs interception that was returned for a long gain

Who would have thought the day would come when we looked back as those as the good old days. Lord, please help Mark bring us back to before 2003.

Advertisement
Just for reference: 1991 gave up 9 touchdowns the entire season. By comparison, 2001 gave up 14 TDs.

The 1991 defense gave up 8.3 points per game. The 2001 team 9.8 points per game. The only other team that held opponents to less than 10 ppg was 1988.

None of the Shannon years after 2001 held opponents under 15 ppg, except 2005 which was 14.4. Those defenses were awesome but no where the dominance of the late 80's early 90's defenses.

This. Some of those late 80s, early 90s defense **** all over defenses like 2003. Those defenses got after it. In the backfield all day, nasty hits, in your face taunting, the whole deal. It's hard to pick just one but 1991 is probably the best. 88, 89, and 94 were also particularly nasty. 94 played with a bad offense and only gave up 202 ypg.

Of the 2000's defenses, give me 01. 03 obviously played with a bad offense so they get extra credit for that but there's another stat that puts 01 over the top. Turnovers. 03 had 31 takeaways while 01 had a mind blowing 49 ******* turnovers. 49! Those savages averaged over 4 turnovers per game.

1. 2003-2004

2. 1986-1987

End of story

2004??? LMFAO that defense was 28th in total D in 13th in scoring D. It wasn't even close to an elite Miami defense.

Again, the none of the 2000's teams except '01 measure up to the late 80s early 90s. The fact that '03 wasn't statistically as dominant as 5 or so other teams shows how poorly we were coached.

Advertisement
Tough call, but I would go with 91. You could put another year in with a slightly better DL, but the Bermuda Triangle was just crazy good and why I picked 91. That and Medearis could take over a game, like he did against Nebraska.

It still pains me that he lost the ability to play here after basically his first two seasons. For all the talk of who our best DL player off all time is or was, I fully believe it wouldn't even be a discussion had he remained healthy. He had 22 sacks as a freshman and sophomore, 4 against that vaunted Nebraska offense we destroyed.

Tough call, but I would go with 91. You could put another year in with a slightly better DL, but the Bermuda Triangle was just crazy good and why I picked 91. That and Medearis could take over a game, like he did against Nebraska.

It still pains me that he lost the ability to play here after basically his first two seasons. For all the talk of who our best DL player off all time is or was, I fully believe it wouldn't even be a discussion had he remained healthy. He had 22 sacks as a freshman and sophomore, 4 against that vaunted Nebraska offense we destroyed.

No way cats would list something like 2005 if they actually saw '91 play.

2002 had great talent but underachieved. In consecutive games the D game up almost 300 yards rushing to the Noles and almost 380 to West Virginia. Against Tennessee the next game the Vols had a 74-yard run, but the D took over and shut the Vols completely down the rest of the game. Pittsburgh and Va Tech had good games on offense. Miami won all those game but struggled defensively.

Keeping great talent motivated is not easy. The D was impregnable when their mind was right, but that was not always the case in 2002.

1991 might have had the best defense statistically, but others played tougher schedules ('87 and '89). 1994 was the #1 defense in the nation too, and usually doesn't get talked about, but had one of the nastiest DLs with Lang and Holmes as the DEs and Sapp and Riley at DTs. LBs were Lewis, Russell and Burgess. CBs were Carlos Jones and Chad Wilson with Pearson and Richardson as the safeties. They also had the worst offense, so they basically had everything on their shoulders.

Advertisement
1991 might have had the best defense statistically, but others played tougher schedules ('87 and '89). 1994 was the #1 defense in the nation too, and usually doesn't get talked about, but had one of the nastiest DLs with Lang and Holmes as the DEs and Sapp and Riley at DTs. LBs were Lewis, Russell and Burgess. CBs were Carlos Jones and Chad Wilson with Pearson and Richardson as the safeties. They also had the worst offense, so they basically had everything on their shoulders.

If the 94 offense could have generated 5-6 first downs in the second half against Nebraska the Canes win, and finish #2 behind Penn State.

2002 had great talent but underachieved. In consecutive games the D game up almost 300 yards rushing to the Noles and almost 380 to West Virginia. Against Tennessee the next game the Vols had a 74-yard run, but the D took over and shut the Vols completely down the rest of the game. Pittsburgh and Va Tech had good games on offense. Miami won all those game but struggled defensively.

Keeping great talent motivated is not easy. The D was impregnable when their mind was right, but that was not always the case in 2002.

100%agree...I still can't believe that we almost lost to Rutgers that season. Teams were running all over that 02 teams with all that talent....

Advertisement

100%agree...I still can't believe that we almost lost to Rutgers that season. Teams were running all over that 02 teams with all that talent....

that's randy shannon for you, can't believe some people actually want him be d coordinator again

Vtech scored what 45 points?

The Rusty Medearas led one in I believe in 89. The offense that year scored most of its points on big plays and 2 minute drives.

89 was not Medearis, it was Bernard Clark, Cortez, maryland, and Greg Mark. The offense also was not that way, they had a tremendous ball control back in Stephen Maguire. Not sure what year you are thinking, but 91 was Rustys big year.
I was thinking 91 . Good call.

Best - 1994 - Lewis, Sapp, Holmes, Lang. Had by far the worst offense of any of our other top teams and by far the worst special teams ever. Punting team responsible for half the points we gave up(e.g. one punt blocked and another punter tackled against FSU and still pretty much destroyed them). Relative lack of depth on DL only point against.

Next - 1991, 1986

Advertisement
Back