Which year do you think had the finest defense?

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
7 First Round Draft Picks
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#2 in total defense in NCAA
#4 in scoring defense

Advertisement
2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#4 in scoring defense

This. 2003 Had upperclassmen stars in Sean Taylor, Vilma, DJ, Wilford, Antrel Rolle and young talent in Baraka Atkins, Rocky McIntosh , Kelly Jennings, Meriweather. Only Brock Berlin pooping himself in the OB against Tennessee held that squad back

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#4 in scoring defense

This. 2003 Had upperclassmen stars in Sean Taylor, Vilma, DJ, Wilford, Antrel Rolle and young talent in Baraka Atkins, Rocky McIntosh , Kelly Jennings, Meriweather. Only Brock Berlin pooping himself in the OB against Tennessee held that squad back

Good thing Dorsey had playmakers on defense when he was popping away the BC game with 4 pics.

I agree with 2003, although 1986 is a close second.

Crazy stat, our special teams from 1989 allowed a season total of 2 net yards on punt returns. I know we didn't punt very often but that is a crazy statistic.

Advertisement
1989 had the best DL in UM history in my opinion. Out of the all time greats DTs we had Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Russell Maryland, D Lewis, Big Vince I firmly believe Cortez Kennedy was the best in college and NFL.

I wasn't around for those great 80s and early 90s teams but 2003 was unreal. If that team had a legit QB it would have been game over.

Statistically, 2001. But the 2000 team passed the eye test too. Dan Morgan was a beast his last year here. Should've won the national championship. What a screwjob.

The 2001 defense rescued us against Boston College, lest we forget. And they BURIED Nebraska. If Coker hadn't let off the gas, we would've hung 70 on Nebraska.

I'm glad a few posters mentioned 2003. Loved that defense. While defense wins championships, first you have to GET THERE. Which involves SCORING POINTS.

Most of the Jimmy Johnson defenses were excellent. For good reason.

When we've been good, the defenses were great. Something we ought to remember.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami Vise 1987 u it...dominated six top 20 teams and made the wishbone irrelevant....Dan Stubbs...straight up man...

03 was avg qb play away from another championship....but 01 and 91 are up there

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#4 in scoring defense

the vt game too....2 of his picks were pick sixes, and i think another turnover lead to anoher td....dont do that and they only score 10 pts

Advertisement
Miami Vise 1987 u it...dominated six top 20 teams and made the wishbone irrelevant....Dan Stubbs...straight up man...

Dan Stubbs was a straight up beast and a Canes legend.

Most of these youngsters never saw him play. He and Jerome Brown were the very definition of the word "savage."

2003 Defense:

5 Future Pro Bowlers
12 total NFL Draft Picks

#4 in scoring defense

the vt game too....2 of his picks were pick sixes, and i think another turnover lead to anoher td....dont do that and they only score 10 pts

Don't make up **** man, 1 of his picks was returned by Eric Green for a TD. DeAngelo Hall returned a TD when he took the ball from Parrish on a reverse. The other 17 points came from a FG, a 2 yard TD run by Jones and a 46 yard pass from Marcus to Wilford. Kevin Everett dropped a pass when he was in the endzone by himself and that great 03 defense gave up 17 points to a team that completed 2 passes.

The poster you quoted trying to lay sole blame on Brock for the Tennessee game when he fails to mention Sean Taylor fumbling the ball on a ret with 1:55 left in the game.

Advertisement
03 was a blast to watch. The rain game at FSU was one of the coolest defensive performances I've ever seen and 05 at VT also.

Just for reference: 1991 gave up 9 touchdowns the entire season. By comparison, 2001 gave up 14 TDs.

The 1991 defense gave up 8.3 points per game. The 2001 team 9.8 points per game. The only other team that held opponents to less than 10 ppg was 1988.

None of the Shannon years after 2001 held opponents under 15 ppg, except 2005 which was 14.4. Those defenses were awesome but no where the dominance of the late 80's early 90's defenses.

The '03 defense dragged a pitiful offense to 11-2 with a top 5 finish. O-line was a mess, Gore blew out his knee (for the 2nd time), Berlin was a circus in pro style sets, and the WRs were pedestrian.

Advertisement
Back