Which year do you think had the finest defense?

paksat

Junior
Banned
I'm only 28 so I have to of course say 2001

Although I do believe 2000 was better, I just didn't get to see much of it. Dan morgan being the beast that he is, I can't leave that out

Advertisement
Go back and watch the games in the 80s against Oklahoma's juggernaut offenses. We lived in their backfield. More contemporary teams, I seem to remember 2003 being supremely dominant. Our offense took a pretty decent step back that year and put our defense in bad spots. We had the record we did because of our defense and special teams.

Advertisement
'85 Bears....

I'm only 28 so I have to of course say 2001

Although I do believe 2000 was better, I just didn't get to see much of it. Dan morgan being the beast that he is, I can't leave that out

I liked the '94 defense. Ray Lewis right behind Warren Sapp. Also on the front line was Kenard Land and Kenny Holmes, both were first round picks. Patrick Riley at the other tackle spot was 2nd round pick. #1 pass defense, #1 scoring defense, #1 Total defense.

Advertisement
i can't remember the 80s Defenses, but my favorite was that 1999 defense that had playmakers and a ton of grimy attitude. Al Blades, Damien Lewis, Nate Webster, Ed Reed, Dan Morgan, William Joseph, PBuc, Campbell, Rumph....

Watching Damien Lewis, Nate Webster and Al Blades try the **** outta every other team was beautiful

86, 87, 88, 89, 91 and 2001 were the best in my opinion. All of them were full of nasty savages playing downhill.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the 2003 was the best defense of that last era. Not sure how it compare statistically to 2000, 2001, 2002. Hard to beat a defense with a mature Big Vince, Taylor, Rolle, DJ and Vilma. KJ, Fonsie, etc. Maybe not as good as 2001. 2002 underperformed IMO. I will look up the stats.

By far the mid 80s to early 90s defenses but I loved the 2000 defense too,just the way they gang tackled.

Advertisement
2001 was statistically the best, and was the # D in the country by points given up. the 2003 D was #4 , but I would contend 2001 had a huge advantage because of how much they scored, and their ability to really control the line and the clock. 2002 was the worst D statistically of the 2000-2003 teams. Someone mentioned 2005, good defense, comparable to 2003. 89, and 91 D were also #1 in the country. Sick stuff really.

The Rusty Medearas led one in I believe in 89. The offense that year scored most of its points on big plays and 2 minute drives.

The Rusty Medearas led one in I believe in 89. The offense that year scored most of its points on big plays and 2 minute drives.

89 was not Medearis, it was Bernard Clark, Cortez, maryland, and Greg Mark. The offense also was not that way, they had a tremendous ball control back in Stephen Maguire. Not sure what year you are thinking, but 91 was Rustys big year.

Advertisement
Back