Which Head Coach Do You Wish Would Have Stayed Longer?

Which head coach do you wish would have stayed longer?

• Howard Schnellenberger

• Jimmy Johnson

• Dennis Erickson

• Butch Davis

• Larry Coker

• Randy Shannon

• Al Golden

Results are only viewable after voting.

Category_5

Recruit
From 1978 to 2015, seven different men have held the title of Head Football Coach at the University of Miami. The recent “What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami?” thread got me thinking about which coach I wish would have stuck around longer. How about you? Which coach would you pick and why?

For the sake of completeness, I am going to include all seven coaches in the poll, even though, for obvious reasons, I don’t expect every coach to receive votes. So please vote and reply with your reasoning.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
For me, it's Schnelly. He built the program from practically nothing and (aside from Oklahoma) always had a pretty good record.

I will say, the level of talent brought in by JJ and Butch was unbelievable. The 1990 Sugar Bowl was on ESPN Classic. It was nice to be reminded of how truly amazing and dominant the talent left by JJ was.

"Write in" vote: Herman Boone

"We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...and then you will run a mile."

giphy (21).gif

Advertisement
eaaaasily Jimmy Johnson. Idk how anyone could pick otherwise. Ofcourse this is hindsight, but he's literally the only super bowl winning coach on the list.
I voted for J.J. too, but the other coach who won a championship in the pros wasn’t on the list, Saban. He really got the ball rolling for the success we had in the 80s by bringing in guys like Jim Kelly, Lester Williams, etc.

JJ was the best of the bunch but wish Butch would've stayed longer. We were able to bounce back after every coaching change except after Butch. Program would look a lot different today had he stayed.

Advertisement
Wasn’t around then but why isn’t Dennis Erickson thought more highly of in terms of UM all time coaches?

Advertisement
Jimmy is what the ✋🏼🤚🏼 Is all about never hit the breaks always on the gas ⛽️ loved the way he coached plus had a great eye 👁 for talent practically changed the game as we know it. Guys playing out of normal positions because he wanted the most speed on the field as possible🐐

Advertisement
1A Jimmy
1B Howard
1C Butch
They could have had sustained success at Miami for a long time. All of them had the recruiting aspect down to a science.

Coker and Dennis both killed the great situation they were in, but at least Dennis delivered two NC's.

The other two should have never been coached here. Randy was hired on the cheap, just like Coker. Golden was a bad fit.

There is an extremely short list of HC's throughout history that won both a natty and a Super Bowl. Only one of these guys won a national championship and he has two Super Bowls rings.

I don't think Davis would have kept up with recruiting at the level he was. A lot of what he did was borne of need, and it's a little different when you're not forced to be so creative.

If JJ stayed we would have been not only a better team during the Erickson years but I think less likely we land such bad probation. Jimmy probably would've finished with five rings easy.

Advertisement
Back