Which Head Coach Do You Wish Would Have Stayed Longer?

Which head coach do you wish would have stayed longer?

• Howard Schnellenberger

• Jimmy Johnson

• Dennis Erickson

• Butch Davis

• Larry Coker

• Randy Shannon

• Al Golden

Results are only viewable after voting.
Darrell Muldra. Dr. Darrell Muldra.

I don't care if you're asking about UM coaches. Wish he would have stayed forever at FSU. Then it wouldn't have mattered who we had at UM.

Advertisement
Howard was the man, but it was JJ’s defense that defined our true greatness. JJ is logical because he was the best but then again he choked in two NC game, with one with perhaps the greatest team ever. Plus he loss another in south bend— yes we were cheated. I voted for Butch because of the talent level. He helped in JJ’s recruiting and when it was his alone put the greatest collection ever— not just college but pro talent. You have to wonder how many years of 4 or5 first round picks a year he would have eventually give us.

In truth, any of Howard, JJ or Butch would have been great. Dennis had severe recruiting failure so we got all he had in him. All said and done, along with so many greatest ever thing we own, we also had the greatest successive string of coaches ever.

JJ didn’t choke in 86; that was all Vinny. JJ didn’t choke in ND, that was all zebras. We should’ve won 3 straight.

JJ would’ve won so many national titles and kept us as most hated, it wouldn’t have been funny. Love JJ til this day; probably b/c he’s was the coach that introduced me to Miami football as a kid.

Last edited:
"Miami bought the gold, I brought the glitter," Jimmy Johnson on why he put extra diamonds on his 87 title ring.

Right there, that gets my vote

But by the time he left Miami he had really gotten this thing going in terms of recruiting locally and nationally and he left Erickson some monster teams(that lost like five games from 89-92). JJ's teams were the perfect blend of discipline and ultra-confidence. Howard absolutely laid the foundation but Johnson created a persona that became a real brand and identity for this program and South Florida in general.

I always wonder if he might've stayed a bit longer if he got along better with Tad Foote(ball) but he himself admitted he's a bit of a nomad. Johnson says UM will always be his favorite job - I just wish he was at it longer.

JJ would have had a run at Miami like Saban at Bama.

Butch left at exactly the wrong moment in history. He left more than a few national titles on the table.

Last edited:
Advertisement
JJ didn’t choke in 86; that was all Vinny. JJ did choke in ND, that was all zebras. We should’ve won 3 straight.

JJ would’ve won so many national titles and kept us as most hated, it wouldn’t have been funny. Love JJ til this day; probably b/c he’s was the coach that introduced me to Miami football as a kid.

I love Jimmy but he lost two NCs in a row against the exact same defense scheme. Remember the TN sugar bowl game the year before would had been title also. Dont get me wrong, he made Miami The U, but he left three rings on the field. That said he would have won 3 out of the next 5 easy, had he stayed.

JJ without question, Butch will never receive credit he deserves for saving a sinking ship( best talent evaluator & closer on JJ's staff) Howard was right there and would have had more than 1 ring if he would have stayed Erickson great game day coach awful recruiter
and once JJ's guys left he was finished( check out his stay at Oregon state as well same story)
Shannon an LB coach at best .... it was Butchs D with Butchs talent had no business being a HC
Coker the chauffeur .... should have pushed harder to keep Butch.
if Richt can win a title he will be in top echelon as well

Advertisement
Darrell Muldra. Dr. Darrell Muldra.

I don't care if you're asking about UM coaches. Wish he would have stayed forever at FSU. Then it wouldn't have mattered who we had at UM.
He was at FSU when you were at UM on the '30's, no?

For me, it's Schnelly. He built the program from practically nothing and (aside from Oklahoma) always had a pretty good record.

I will say, the level of talent brought in by JJ and Butch was unbelievable. The 1990 Sugar Bowl was on ESPN Classic. It was nice to be reminded of how truly amazing and dominant the talent left by JJ was.

Either Howard or JJ. Either one would have won several more national championships if they had made the U a career.

Advertisement
Easy

Johnson
Davis
Schnellenberger

Johnson would have kept us dominant.
Davis's recruiting & eye for talent would have also kept us winning through the 2000s.

Advertisement
It's Jimmy Johnson then everyone else... And how the **** did golden get 5 votes?

Howard arrived at the right time for that to happen based on what was going on around the city of Miami. He created a trust with the community and the template to fill his teams with the guys who created the swagger. Love Jimmy too, he was the right fit to carry it on, but if Howard would have stayed for a long stretch, that could have been the run Bama ended up on.

No doubt Jimmie. He left with having won a ship and basically all but signed the most talented recruiting class at UM (to date) that same year.

JJ was the best of the bunch but wish Butch would've stayed longer. We were able to bounce back after every coaching change except after Butch. Program would look a lot different today had he stayed.

I agree with you, Jimmy was the goat here but the collection of talent Butch was putting together year after year was scary good.

Advertisement
Back