NFL Draft Whew!!! Had me worried for a while

Advertisement
Not a chance Williams goes 1st (as a Safety).

And you left off our most talented player in the secondary, Avantae. He's more likely to go 1st/2nd than James Williams is.

Chase Smith talent-wise is earlier than 4-6.
You better be a nfl scout lmao because If everyone sees him as a safety, including Cristobal and company… who are you to say differently. I think you’re not understanding NFL for what it is right now… a passing league!! And anyone can see JWill is a talented beast in the defense. Whether you put him at safety or LB… you gotta get this guy on your defense. Him playing safety in college ONLY helps him in the nfl, seeing it’s a passing league!!! He’s a first rounder! Just Hamilton from ND went first round. Isiah Simmons went first round. Not only because of their measurables, but also because of their ability to play different positions.

Last edited:
WE have no talent that's why we are an average team. The NFL draft doesn't always get it right But Bama had more people drafted in the first round than we had the entire draft hance they beat us by 30+. It's not hard to see why.

Winning starts with recruiting and on that front Mario is one of the best so no doubt the draft choices will only increase from here on out.

Advertisement
Remember when Zion Nelson was predicted to go in the top 5 of this weekend's draft, and everyone here went along with it?

Good times.

Travis Benjamin Career:
2,146 yrds (16.4/per) 13 TDs (receiving)
126 yrds (5.0/per) 1 TD (rushing)
1,602 total yards ST 1 TD
Total: 3,874 total yrds 15 TDs

NFL Combine:
5’10
31 3/4 arms
8 3/4 hands
4.31 40 (1.57 10 split)
4.17 20 yrd shuffle
6.96 3-Cone
38” vertical
14 reps (225lbs)
119” broad jump

—————————Comparison———————-
Charleston Rambo Career:
2,352 yards (15.1/per) 16 TDs (receiving)
37 yrds (9.3/per) 0 TDs (rushing)
337 total yards ST 0 TDs
Total: 2,746 total yards 16 TDs

NFL Combine:
6’1
32 inch arms
9 3/4 hands
4.57 40
20 yrd shuttle (n/a)
3 cone (n/a)
Bench Press (n/a)
33.5” vertical
118” broad jump

Do you see the difference between the two? Benjamin, although 3 inches shorter, had **** near the same physical traits as Rambo except the hands. But what stands out is that Travis was a do-it-all type of player w/ rare speed. He tested better by a country mile on the vertical & had a better broad jump. Travis was/is a better athlete, which means he was a valuable commodity to team b/c of his flexibility.

Rambo was in a WR room where guys were absolutely murdering the combine, & throughout his career, he’s shown himself as a one trick pony. So, if u’re measurable aren’t the best, if ur overall production is so-so, then u better kill the combine, which is what I posted here.

The fact is, he stood out like a sore thumb in a bad way, b/c this was the yr sub 4.4 times were broken. So if have 33 DBs, 20 WRs, 10 RBs, 9 LBs, 6 DLs, 1 QB, & 1 TE all running faster & testing better, what do u think is going to happen? Hence he dropped.
That 40 really doomed him eh. Production-wise the only difference I saw was the lack of special teams usage. We both watched the same games, I think Rambo blew the top off a bunch of defenses... sure Benjamin really was a game breaker, but I think Rambo showed us all superior body control and coordination. He literally caught everything.

Kid had a great season, and I do bet Rambo makes a 53. I do not see as much separation as these stats might show, but absolutely agree, his measurables did not stack up at the combine.

👀
Screenshot_20220501-093520_Facebook.jpg

UnOaemV.gif
miami_texas_cotton_bowl2.jpg

Advertisement
Texas having zero is shocking, but so is Cincinnati with 9. I thought a couple of years ago we were about even with Tennessee talent wise. They had 5 drafted yesterday.
Looking forward to great things to happen for us the next several years

I truly think Rambo came out at the wrong time, bro. The 40 was like a track meet in ‘22, and I mean that was for everyone, bro.

We know how the NFL loves speed, so he just fell. Also, he didn’t have a great combine in general. Dropping a few balls was a first-hand reminder of his issues while at OU. Plus, again, he had one yr of great production, which really came w/in 6 of the 12 games he played in. I mentioned in another thread, 25% of the total games Rambo has played in, he went over 90 yrds receiving, & majority of that 25% came in one season here.

I saw the comparison to Landry & Kupp. The difference is:

-Both WRs were 6’2 200+
-Landry was a bully at LSU. He & OBJ were probably the best duo in CFB, & he was a 3 & done player. Plus, we know the SEC bias, so putting up close to 1200 yrds & 10 TDs playing in that conference as the #2 option held weight.

-Kupp, on the other hand, put up f’ing video game numbers! Lol. Dude put up close to 6,800 yrds receiving & 70+ TDs in 4 yrs.

But, to be honest, both dropped w/ their draft stock due to their 40 times; on the other hand, both also showed great hands in the passing drills.
To me, that was the nail in Rambo’s coffin. I cringed & I literally said “Oh F.” I think I may have even commented on it in the combine thread. U can’t be that slim (sub 180) w/ below avg. (per combine #’s) testing numbers, not this yr.
Well said

Rambo will catch on somewhere because he just knows how to ball. There is nothing that really jumps out about his game other than his production last year

Not for nothing but it’s kinda funny that Ford is the guy that was drafted, when that guy was destroyed on this board week to week

Anyway…all in the past now and brighter days around the corner

yeah I agree with this take he can catch everything. If travis benjamin can get drafted high I would say Rambo has just as big a skill set. I think there is a slight on Miami lately.
Agree on WR skills, but you know as well as I that the League looks at 4.3 WR’s a bit differently than 4.5 guys.
8 players ran sub-4.4 at the combine this year.

I’m not saying the 40 is “it”. Guys like Hopkins and Adams are having pretty good careers in the League with similar 40’s.

So its a little tougher route for Charleston.
Hopefully he makes it.

Advertisement
Speaks volumes about the talent level on the rooster. We have come through some dark times but there is a huge light at the end of this tunnel. Mario and staff will most certainly see to that.

What I continue to not understand are the cases like Rambo. The fact he wasn't drafted is no surprise to me and that isn't a knock on the kid. I wish him and every single player to suit up for this U all the success possible. I understand being anxious to go be a pro and make money. I get that but there seems to be a huge disconnect between what some of these kids are expecting or are being told to expect and what actually ends up happening.

My advice to Rambo would have been to stay another year and have 2 consecutive years of excellent production to show the NFL. In the meantime I'm certain that he would have had a decent NIL deal to carry him through. Now he can't even get that and has to go into Panthers camp as a UDFA. Yes he can make it but as an UDFA the road is a bit tougher. Hopefully with NIL in full swing we will see much less of the unfortunate situation that a great young man like Charleston Rambo now finds himself in.
Unless every draft analysis says your top 10 pick and you have couple years left to shine WHY leave.

Now he might get a free agent deal if not, every place I see out in the streets is hiring welcome to working 40 plus years 10-12 hours a day .

GOCANES

Rambo not getting drafted and Ford getting drafted is an indictment on how terrible NFL scouts and GMs are at their jobs.

To be fair, it just says that about the team that drafted Ford, if it doesn't work out. All the other teams passed on him to that point and one saw something. The rest passed on both. One had nothing to do with the other.

Where he was drafted though, that's a throwaway pick. You've gotta pick someone and they're as likely to make the team as not.

Advertisement
I truly think Rambo came out at the wrong time, bro. The 40 was like a track meet in ‘22, and I mean that was for everyone, bro.

We know how the NFL loves speed, so he just fell. Also, he didn’t have a great combine in general. Dropping a few balls was a first-hand reminder of his issues while at OU. Plus, again, he had one yr of great production, which really came w/in 6 of the 12 games he played in. I mentioned in another thread, 25% of the total games Rambo has played in, he went over 90 yrds receiving, & majority of that 25% came in one season here.

I saw the comparison to Landry & Kupp. The difference is:

-Both WRs were 6’2 200+
-Landry was a bully at LSU. He & OBJ were probably the best duo in CFB, & he was a 3 & done player. Plus, we know the SEC bias, so putting up close to 1200 yrds & 10 TDs playing in that conference as the #2 option held weight.

-Kupp, on the other hand, put up f’ing video game numbers! Lol. Dude put up close to 6,800 yrds receiving & 70+ TDs in 4 yrs.

But, to be honest, both dropped w/ their draft stock due to their 40 times; on the other hand, both also showed great hands in the passing drills.
To me, that was the nail in Rambo’s coffin. I cringed & I literally said “Oh F.” I think I may have even commented on it in the combine thread. U can’t be that slim (sub 180) w/ below avg. (per combine #’s) testing numbers, not this yr.
Only thing I'd say differently on is (& I don't know what they list him at. Never bothered to check)Jarvis on a good day is barely 6ft tall.

How does a coaching staff go about that? I’m assuming they know this as well. That’s a difficult conversation for them to have cause we know James is dead set ok safety. I know Mario isn’t afraid to have that convo, is it where you show him Film of players or slowly implement schemes where he does those things and put them on Film for him?
It really just is a difficult conversation any way you go about it. Especially cause he is a pretty good safety. He has good instincts etc. For me it just comes down to his health and his future. The way he plays the game will be rough on him at the next level especially.

There is nothing about James Williams skill set that suggest defensive end is his best position?? Wtf.. he is one of the best safeties in the country. Avantae and James both going in the 1st round.
He's not one of the best safeties in the country. I'm sorry to say that. Unless by best ur making a broad statement. But again what I said had nothing to do with him as a player and everything to do with his body evolving and his health long term. Also there's ALOT about his skill set that says he'd be an amazing end once he gets significant reps in. He'd kill it at end honestly. That's also why I said I could see him as a Rover type backer as well though.

Going into next year and not including Soph and Freshmen because they haven't played enough to really get a feel.
We have only one potential first rounder in TVD, Nelson and Parrish are potential Day 2 picks but the rest are Day 3 picks at best. This is why we have been terrible, we can't out talent people plus with bad coaching gets us to where we are.

Advertisement
Back