NFL Draft Whew!!! Had me worried for a while

This WR class was deeeeeeep, combine that with Rambo's less than stellar measurables, and it's no surprise he didn't get drafted. If he can translate some of his skills into the league, like the way he was able to get separation riiiiiiight at the very end of his route to make the catch, then he'll be able to carve out a roster spot for a bit, but that is tough sledding going up against better DBs

Advertisement
I just want to be clear tho, I was comparing KJ Osborn to Rambo. Not Rambo to Travis Benjamin.

Like KJ had a better 40, broad jump & 3 cone. But Rambo had a better shuttle. I was more so trying to highlight that the two are not that far off in combine performance.

But then again I'm on my 4th Tito's. It's late night lol.

My point was KJ was bigger, & tested better in every category. Also, KJ proved to be a commodity in the ST area, as well, throughout his collegiate career. His total yards & total TDs smokes Rambo.

I think if Rambo came out last yr w/ the same stats, he gets drafted, but when I saw all those 40 times, vertical jumps just from his position, not even including everyone else, I chalked him up as a 6th - UDFA. He was already bordering a 5th based upon the one yr of production at Miami, but then everyone & their mama smoked the combine **** near, I didn’t have a good feeling.

Jon got drafted strictly off his size, & he tested well at the combine based upon his size. So there’s a glimmer of hope, but I have a feeling he’ll be a PS guy. At the end of the day, if Rambo can prove his value, him not getting drafted will be a footnote, & he’ll be a “botched evaluation” hero. Hopefully that’ll be the case.

Last edited:
Jon was the only guy I saw getting drafted. Bubba might have been my only surprise. I knew Cam wasn’t going to to know NFL team. As well as King. Now the thing about Rambo is that he’s lite in the ***, he runs close to a 4.6 and he plays somewhat lackadaisical. He Doesn’t have that dog in him. Almost the same issue as JT4. I like Rambo though and hopes he gets a chance somewhere. I honestly believe NFL Draft is more about talent than production now. Example, the number 1 overall pick hasn’t tallied more than 8 sacks in whole career at uga but went 1st round. Our guys had decent numbers, but talent wise… they’re not there. Here’s the guys on the team right now who I believe regardless of production… are nfl guys. Assuming they are all healthy.

James Williams (1-2)
Kam Kinchens (2-3)
Xavier Restropo (5-7)
Tyler Van Dyke (1-2)
Jalen Rivers (1-3)
Zion Nelson (1-2)
Chase Smith (4-6)
Donald Chaney (4-6)
Leonard Taylor (3-5)
Elijah Arroyo (2-3)
Will Mallory (5-7)
Jakai Clark (5-7)
Keyshawn Smith?? (5-7)
Not a chance Williams goes 1st (as a Safety).

And you left off our most talented player in the secondary, Avantae. He's more likely to go 1st/2nd than James Williams is.

Chase Smith talent-wise is earlier than 4-6.

Speaks volumes about the talent level on the rooster. We have come through some dark times but there is a huge light at the end of this tunnel. Mario and staff will most certainly see to that.

What I continue to not understand are the cases like Rambo. The fact he wasn't drafted is no surprise to me and that isn't a knock on the kid. I wish him and every single player to suit up for this U all the success possible. I understand being anxious to go be a pro and make money. I get that but there seems to be a huge disconnect between what some of these kids are expecting or are being told to expect and what actually ends up happening.

My advice to Rambo would have been to stay another year and have 2 consecutive years of excellent production to show the NFL. In the meantime I'm certain that he would have had a decent NIL deal to carry him through. Now he can't even get that and has to go into Panthers camp as a UDFA. Yes he can make it but as an UDFA the road is a bit tougher. Hopefully with NIL in full swing we will see much less of the unfortunate situation that a great young man like Charleston Rambo now finds himself in.
It doesn't speak volumes about the talent anywhere near as much as it speaks on the lack of development... I'm sorry but this with any competent staff should never happen at this level. Some **** poor evaluations were definitely made but you can't say that applies for the entire class.

Rambo didn’t get drafted lol what you mean the take is terrible. 😂😂 dude is 6’1” and only had a 33 inch vertical. Tall for nothing lol. He like 170 LBs and can’t even run a 4.5 40. The only thing I suspect is that he didn’t even prepare for the combine.
Combine numbers matter, but...

Jarvis has been in the league for 7 years. 7500+ yards receiving. 37 touchdowns.
1651388069849.png

And mothafukka jones exists:
1651388289879.png

Rambo just passes the eye test. Somewhat, like both above.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It doesn't speak volumes about the talent anywhere near as much as it speaks on the lack of development... I'm sorry but this with any competent staff should never happen at this level. Some **** poor evaluations were definitely made but you can't say that applies for the entire class.
I agree with you. I just failed to articulate that point as well as I should have. Now that we are on the subject, when was the last time you thought that a UM staff was doing a great job developing players?

Not a chance Williams goes 1st (as a Safety).

And you left off our most talented player in the secondary, Avantae. He's more likely to go 1st/2nd than James Williams is.

Chase Smith talent-wise is earlier than 4-6.
People fail to understand he should 100% not be playing safety & allowing him to much longer is only going to hinder his future. Tae may very well be the most talented but because of his measurable he's not gonna be seen as such at the next level. For me that may be kinchens and I wouldn't give up on baloms yet either. Every time I see James I just see a twin of javon kearse & his brother who was far more talented. I'm really hoping we can show him what he could be at end or even at backer(less likely) that's not to say he's not a **** good safety. Just that for his own sake (health and draft purposes)hurry up and get that kid meaningful tape at either or end or backer.

My point was Rambo was bigger, & tested better in every category. Also, KJ proved to be a commodity in the ST area, as well, throughout his collegiate career. His total yards & total TDs smokes Rambo.

I think if Rambo came out last yr w/ the same stats, he gets drafted, but when I saw all those 40 times, vertical jumps just from his position, not even including everyone else, I chalked him up as a 6th - UDFA. He was already bordering a 5th based upon the one yr of production at Miami, but then everyone & their mama smoked the combine **** near, I didn’t have a good feeling.

Jon got drafted strictly off his size, & he tested well at the combine based upon his size. So there’s a glimmer of hope, but I have a feeling he’ll be a PS guy. At the end of the day, if Rambo can prove his value, him not getting drafted will be a footnote, & he’ll be a “botched evaluation” hero. Hopefully that’ll be the case.

100% agree with this.

And tbh, and I believe I'm quoting you on this, this was like one of the fastest receiver groups historically. I was blown away by the number put up by both corners and receivers. It was ridiculous.

And we all know that fast receivers are always taken ahead of their draft projection.

Like you said, if Rambo came out last year, he gets drafted. And I'm with you, I hope he makes his UFA status a footnote; and he has opportunity and experience in the Rhule offense.

Advertisement
RIGHT THIS SECOND!!! Previous to that cokersould initial staff which was Butchs.
My thought exactly! Of course right now because if this staff can't develop talent then I don't know who can. Before that I was going to say Butch but Coker's initial staff is basically Butch's like you said. It's just unfathomable to me that we have literally gone 20 years, 2 decades without a staff that could develop talent. Because of this I think many of us may be shocked by the improvement of the team by the time we get to see them game 1.

I mean, like Rell said, considering the numbers posted by other receivers, 7 is accurate.

I truly think Rambo came out at the wrong time, bro. The 40 was like a track meet in ‘22, and I mean that was for everyone, bro.

We know how the NFL loves speed, so he just fell. Also, he didn’t have a great combine in general. Dropping a few balls was a first-hand reminder of his issues while at OU. Plus, again, he had one yr of great production, which really came w/in 6 of the 12 games he played in. I mentioned in another thread, 25% of the total games Rambo has played in, he went over 90 yrds receiving, & majority of that 25% came in one season here.

I saw the comparison to Landry & Kupp. The difference is:

-Both WRs were 6’2 200+
-Landry was a bully at LSU. He & OBJ were probably the best duo in CFB, & he was a 3 & done player. Plus, we know the SEC bias, so putting up close to 1200 yrds & 10 TDs playing in that conference as the #2 option held weight.

-Kupp, on the other hand, put up f’ing video game numbers! Lol. Dude put up close to 6,800 yrds receiving & 70+ TDs in 4 yrs.

But, to be honest, both dropped w/ their draft stock due to their 40 times; on the other hand, both also showed great hands in the passing drills.
To me, that was the nail in Rambo’s coffin. I cringed & I literally said “Oh F.” I think I may have even commented on it in the combine thread. U can’t be that slim (sub 180) w/ below avg. (per combine #’s) testing numbers, not this yr.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I truly think Rambo came out at the wrong time, bro. The 40 was like a track meet in ‘22, and I mean that was for everyone, bro.

We know how the NFL loves speed, so he just fell. Also, he didn’t have a great combine in general. Dropping a few balls was a first-hand reminder of his issues while at OU. Plus, again, he had one yr of great production, which really came w/in 6 of the 12 games he played in. I mentioned in another thread, 25% of the total games Rambo has played in, he went over 90 yrds receiving, & majority of that 25% came in one season here.

I saw the comparison to Landry & Kupp. The difference is:

-Both WRs were 6’2 200+
-Landry was a bully at LSU. He & OBJ were probably the best duo in CFB, & he was a 3 & done player. Plus, we know the SEC bias, so putting up close to 1200 yrds & 10 TDs playing in that conference as the #2 option held weight.

-Kupp, on the other hand, put up f’ing video game numbers! Lol. Dude put up close to 6,800 yrds receiving & 70+ TDs in 4 yrs.

But, to be honest, both dropped w/ their draft stock due to their 40 times, on the other hand, both also showed great hands in the passing drills.
To me, that was the nail in Rambo’s coffin. I cringed & I literally said “Oh F.” I think I may have even commented on it in the combine thread. U can’t be that slim (sub 180) w/ below avg. (per combine #’s) testing numbers, not this yr.

I'm going to be honest & say that I can't front with any of that.

Paints a fully contextual picture.

I definitely have a biased opinion of Rambo but that brings him down to earth in graceful way.

I'm going to be honest & say that I can't front with any of that.

Paints a fully contextual picture.

I definitely have a biased opinion of Rambo but that brings him down to earth in graceful way.

I was weary of Rambo coming here, just b/c of the wrap sheet he was given by my boy who’s a diehard OU fan. But, to my surprise, especially those last 5 games or so, Rambo was awesome for us. But, if imma be honest, his 2021 production reminded me of Harley’s 2020 stats, meaning starting slow & then a few games where he just killed it.

Once I saw Rambo come in at 177, I’m like OK, well he’s gotta smoke the 40. 4.57 is not a bad time in general, but when u have DLman who are 6’6 240 running sub 4.4, or LBs that are 6’2 235 running 4.4, let alone ur competition at WR pecking order r all running 4.4 or below, and they are bigger than u?? Bro, u can see y. I think if he would’ve had consistent hands w/ that 40, probably 5th-6th round. Inconsistent hands, sub par 40, w/ a slight frame, & one yr of great film? Too many variables to overcome in the world of scouting.

Hopefully he proves everyone wrong & rep this U accordingly.

I was weary of Rambo coming here, just b/c of the wrap sheet he was given by my boy who’s a diehard OU fan. But, to my surprise, especially those last 5 games or so, Rambo was awesome for us. But, if imma be honest, his 2021 production reminded me of Harley’s 2020 stats, meaning starting slow & then a few games where he just killed it.

Once I saw Rambo come in at 177, I’m like OK, well he’s gotta smoke the 40. 4.57 is not a bad time in general, but when u have DLman who are 6’6 240 running sub 4.4, or LBs that are 6’2 235 running 4.4, let alone ur competition at WR pecking order r all running 4.4 or below, and they are bigger than u?? Bro, u can see y. I think if he would’ve had consistent hands w/ that 40, probably 5th-6th round. Inconsistent hands, sub par 40, w/ a slight frame, & one yr of great film? Too many variables to overcome in the world of scouting.

Hopefully he proves everyone wrong & rep this U accordingly.

I honestly never looked up his stats from OU when he transferred here. I kind of took it as he's our #1 and that's it. He was definitely promoted well by the media in that regard.

I had no idea that he was that streaky his entire career. Especially regarding the inconsistent hands.

In the air of "what have you done for me lately?", he's cooking.

But I should temper my expectations and the realistic ceiling for the guy is something comparable to Russell Gage (also a late bloomer, 40+ mil contract)

Advertisement
Travis Benjamin Career:
2,146 yrds (16.4/per) 13 TDs (receiving)
126 yrds (5.0/per) 1 TD (rushing)
1,602 total yards ST 1 TD
Total: 3,874 total yrds 15 TDs

NFL Combine:
5’10
31 3/4 arms
8 3/4 hands
4.31 40 (1.57 10 split)
4.17 20 yrd shuffle
6.96 3-Cone
38” vertical
14 reps (225lbs)
119” broad jump

—————————Comparison———————-
Charleston Rambo Career:
2,352 yards (15.1/per) 16 TDs (receiving)
37 yrds (9.3/per) 0 TDs (rushing)
337 total yards ST 0 TDs
Total: 2,746 total yards 16 TDs

NFL Combine:
6’1
32 inch arms
9 3/4 hands
4.57 40
20 yrd shuttle (n/a)
3 cone (n/a)
Bench Press (n/a)
33.5” vertical
118” broad jump

Do you see the difference between the two? Benjamin, although 3 inches shorter, had **** near the same physical traits as Rambo except the hands. But what stands out is that Travis was a do-it-all type of player w/ rare speed. He tested better by a country mile on the vertical & had a better broad jump. Travis was/is a better athlete, which means he was a valuable commodity to team b/c of his flexibility.

Rambo was in a WR room where guys were absolutely murdering the combine, & throughout his career, he’s shown himself as a one trick pony. So, if u’re measurable aren’t the best, if ur overall production is so-so, then u better kill the combine, which is what I posted here.

The fact is, he stood out like a sore thumb in a bad way, b/c this was the yr sub 4.4 times were broken. So if have 33 DBs, 20 WRs, 10 RBs, 9 LBs, 6 DLs, 1 QB, & 1 TE all running faster & testing better, what do u think is going to happen? Hence he dropped.
miniGif_20200422172516.gif

People fail to understand he should 100% not be playing safety & allowing him to much longer is only going to hinder his future. Tae may very well be the most talented but because of his measurable he's not gonna be seen as such at the next level. For me that may be kinchens and I wouldn't give up on baloms yet either. Every time I see James I just see a twin of javon kearse & his brother who was far more talented. I'm really hoping we can show him what he could be at end or even at backer(less likely) that's not to say he's not a **** good safety. Just that for his own sake (health and draft purposes)hurry up and get that kid meaningful tape at either or end or backer.

How does a coaching staff go about that? I’m assuming they know this as well. That’s a difficult conversation for them to have cause we know James is dead set ok safety. I know Mario isn’t afraid to have that convo, is it where you show him Film of players or slowly implement schemes where he does those things and put them on Film for him?

There is nothing about James Williams skill set that suggest defensive end is his best position?? Wtf.. he is one of the best safeties in the country. Avantae and James both going in the 1st round.

The NFL is always putting measurables and stats, before performance, and they often miss. However, they obviously think in the long run this is the better of the two options.

Advertisement
Back