Off-Topic Where were you on 9/11?

I fly commercially for a living and we landed late in Madrid on the 11th after being delayed out of JFK the night of the 10th due to weather. Spent a few frantic hours trying to get a hold of my wife who was a flight attendant at the time and who was supposed to leave Boston in the am of the 11th. Once I got ahold of her I spent the next week in Madrid with my crew until we could fly back to the states. Had a friend who lost a brother (fireman) and brother-in-law who was at Canter Fitzgerald. A few other friends who worked as cops lost people from their precincts.

Months later I was staged in Rome as the government had the commercial carriers help lift our service member to the 2nd gulf war. To all who served Thank You. It was humbling and an honor to flying you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Driving into work listening to Howard Stern describe it live.

Was so out of sorts that night that I overloaded the washer so much it started rattling and making all kinds of noise. In an otherwise empty basement it was so loud I jumped off the couch in hysterics. At least it made me laugh for a few minutes that day when I realized the terrorist in my basement was the comforter I tried to wash.

Never forget.

I also remember my company’s COO was in Boston that week, and was originally scheduled to fly back to LA that day, on one of the flights. He had cancelled and rescheduled for a later flight the night before.

I was in a neuroscience lecture attending medical school in Cincinnati. Word spread through the lecture hall and we left mid lecture to see live telecast in our common areas.

Being a Sikh who grew up in NYC, I was sad, angry and upset. I was also afraid for my friends from more traditional Sikh families who wore turbans and grew beards. Many Sikh people were killed and temples burned in the months following 9/11. Wars were ignited, governments toppled, and freedoms abdicated.

Since then, I’ve visited the 9/11 memorial many times. Afterwards, my kids and I come home and listen to John Lennon’s Imagine. We must understand, we must learn, we must not repeat, and we must not forget.

Advertisement
There’s a lot of you on here, but thank you to each of those on the board that served or are first responders of the various types, and do what you do to keep the rest of us safe in this crazy world.

I was a freshman at Tulane and sleeping through a hangover. My mom called me 10 times and I kept silencing the calls until I finally answered to her yelling “we’re under attack.” I feel lucky to be somewhat old enough to remember life before that day. It’s incredible where we are 20 years later and the butterfly effect of that day, especially when you think that Bin Laden did this to try to push US policy out of Middle East involvement and the complete opposite that ensued. Watching the memorial was gut wrenching this morning. It still feels surreal in many ways, and I fear not many lessons were learned during this time.

Advertisement
as a vet who was in basic training during this time, this day holds close to me.

P.S. @RVACane please keep an eye on this. This is to remember 9/11 and not other CIS shenanigans.
In Philly! Was in a meeting on a high floor of one of the Liberty Towers. About an hour in, someone walks in to tell us about the WTC. We walked out to watch the TVs on the floor halls showing footage. A few minutes later we saw live airplane #2 hit.

We freaked out. Being inside Philly’s Twin Liberty Towers, we needed to get out. I was worried for a college buddy who was in his first week at Morgan Stanley, Tower 2. Thankfully he made it out.

Then my attention turned to my brother in law, who had been an FBI agent in the NYC office for 4 years at that time. He was there helping people get out. Thankfully he survived the building collapses.

Every year he has to go to FBI HQ at Quantico to get special physicals done due to all that ground zero dust, asbestos, etc that all of those people inhaled.

Never Forget!

In Philly! Was in a meeting on a high floor of one of the Liberty Towers. About an hour in, someone walks in to tell us about the WTC. We walked out to watch the TVs on the floor halls showing footage. A few minutes later we saw live airplane #2 hit.

We freaked out. Being inside Philly’s Twin Liberty Towers, we needed to get out. I was worried for a college buddy who was in his first week at Morgan Stanley, Tower 2. Thankfully he made it out.

Then my attention turned to my brother in law, who had been an FBI agent in the NYC office for 4 years at that time. He was there helping people get out. Thankfully he survived the building collapses.

Every year he has to go to FBI HQ at Quantico to get special physicals done due to all that ground zero dust, asbestos, etc that all of those people inhaled.

Never Forget!
Oh you were where I call, back home. I was born in East Falls, raised in Mt. Airy/Germantown. My mom went to school with boxer Bernard Hopkins.

But man, that's crazy my drill sergeant's dad was on duty at the pentagon and he survived. We knew not to **** off our drill sergeant that day, but this other platoon in our company.... man bad enough 9/11 just happened, this kid did one wrong thing and he had 1st platoon doing front back go's (Oklahoma drills) in full battle rattle for 4 hrs.

Advertisement
Back