Off-Topic Where were you on 9/11?

I can't begin to imagine what you went through and I'm sure still deal with today. Blessings.
Thanks for the kind words. I guess I thought I was over it as life moves on. However, after watching some YouTube videos today, it was brought back to life. I'm pragmatic about it. Even back then, I viewed it as one of the many tragedies that happens around the world. We're just not accustomed to it happening to us.

Advertisement
I was there watching my building burn. I worked in the North Tower on an IT team for a financial firm. I was 5 minutes from work on the Jersey City side at 101 Hudson when they shutdown the PATH train just after the 1st plane hit. There were several hundred people on the streets near the PATH train talking about how a plane accidentally flew into the North Tower. Since the PATH train was closed, I walked down towards the Hudson River to catch a ferry accross to my building when the 2nd plane hit the South Tower. I knew this was no coincidence and immediately started walking in the opposite direction 6 blocks to the next PATH station that could take me West to my home because I knew the trains would be shut down soon and I didn't want to be trapped.

I made it home about 10:30 a.m. I was in complete shock when I turned on the tv watching my building collapse to the ground. I stayed inside my home for several days remaining in shock.

Since the phones were tied up, my IT team communicated thru our pagers (yah we had those back then). Everyone was ok. NYC was on complete lock down. My coworkers had to walk home. Some to Brooklyn. Others all the way uptown accross the GW Bridge over to Jersey.

A few days later, my IT team was relocated to our 101 Hudson building in Jersey City which is literally right on the edge of the river on the Jersey side directly west of the twin towers. It was very depressing every day eating in the cafeteria watching the buildings burn for weeks. The towers are so massive that sitting in the cafeteria across the river looked like you were viewing them across the street.

Sadly, a friend of a friend tragically died that day. Me and my coworkers use to hit up Windows on the World (107th floor North Tower ) for Latin night every Thursday after work where the restaurant has live Latin music and a DJ. My coworker/friend Ross had a group of female friends that would hang with us. One of them was walking home after the collapse of the buildings. She walked towards the World Financial Center building which was connected to the North Tower via a catwalk. She was on the phone with her mom telling her she was ok when the catwalk fell on her crushing her instantly. Very sad.
View attachment 129851

This is what I remember. Sorry for all the details, but it's rather therapeutic for me on this day.

I've been back to NYC a few years ago when they were constructing the Freedom Tower. I didn't even recognize the area without the twin towers there. Perhaps it's time I visit the completed Freedom Tower to reconcile the past. This video below brought some happy memories and tears.

Thank you for your story

Beginning my 2L at UM.

Woke up to my ex calling over and over; picked up and she said turn on the tv.

Turned it on a couple of minutes before plane 2 hit live.

Still went to campus, Legislation Prof - Blatt, told us he wasn't letting them win, that we'd honor with a moment of silence and get on with it.

Seemed ridiculous at the time, but I came to respect it shortly thereafter.

Don't remember a lick of the lecture. Class out - spend the rest of the day in a blur on the quad watching.

Still have the indelible mental video loop of rolling outta bed, answering the phone, turning on my pc monitor which had a TV card, plane 2 hitting live - the monitor, the table it sat on, the window frame, all zoomed out and framed in my mind. can see it clear as a bell right now.

I was at work, when there was commotion in the conference room, colleagues running in and out of it. When I went in, witnessed the nightmare unfolding on the large screen. Won’t get into details as we have all lived and relived the day, but I was a grown man balling with tears. I had witnessed the space shuttle explosion almost a decade earlier (I was at Fairchild Tropical Garden at that time, in one of the lecture rooms with a TV), and I relived that tragedy as well, on this day. May God rest the souls of those good, innocent Americans brothers and sisters in peace. May we never see a tragedy like that ever again. Amen.

Advertisement
I was on a ship in the Atlantic ocean. We went to our battle stations when the announcement was made. I thought we were just running a drill because we did it all the time. After about the 4th day of being in general quarters i realized it wasn't a drill.
Thank you for your service. I can’t begin to imagine. It is crazy how the entire world changed on that day and in many ways has never recovered.

I was there watching my building burn. I worked in the North Tower on an IT team for a financial firm. I was 5 minutes from work on the Jersey City side at 101 Hudson when they shutdown the PATH train just after the 1st plane hit. There were several hundred people on the streets near the PATH train talking about how a plane accidentally flew into the North Tower. Since the PATH train was closed, I walked down towards the Hudson River to catch a ferry accross to my building when the 2nd plane hit the South Tower. I knew this was no coincidence and immediately started walking in the opposite direction 6 blocks to the next PATH station that could take me West to my home because I knew the trains would be shut down soon and I didn't want to be trapped.

I made it home about 10:30 a.m. I was in complete shock when I turned on the tv watching my building collapse to the ground. I stayed inside my home for several days remaining in shock.

Since the phones were tied up, my IT team communicated thru our pagers (yah we had those back then). Everyone was ok. NYC was on complete lock down. My coworkers had to walk home. Some to Brooklyn. Others all the way uptown accross the GW Bridge over to Jersey.

A few days later, my IT team was relocated to our 101 Hudson building in Jersey City which is literally right on the edge of the river on the Jersey side directly west of the twin towers. It was very depressing every day eating in the cafeteria watching the buildings burn for weeks. The towers are so massive that sitting in the cafeteria across the river looked like you were viewing them across the street.

Sadly, a friend of a friend tragically died that day. Me and my coworkers use to hit up Windows on the World (107th floor North Tower ) for Latin night every Thursday after work where the restaurant has live Latin music and a DJ. My coworker/friend Ross had a group of female friends that would hang with us. One of them was walking home after the collapse of the buildings. She walked towards the World Financial Center building which was connected to the North Tower via a catwalk. She was on the phone with her mom telling her she was ok when the catwalk fell on her crushing her instantly. Very sad.
View attachment 129851

This is what I remember. Sorry for all the details, but it's rather therapeutic for me on this day.

I've been back to NYC a few years ago when they were constructing the Freedom Tower. I didn't even recognize the area without the twin towers there. Perhaps it's time I visit the completed Freedom Tower to reconcile the past. This video below brought some happy memories and tears.

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I thought I was over it as life moves on. However, after watching some YouTube videos today, it was brought back to life. I'm pragmatic about it. Even back then, I viewed it as one of the many tragedies that happens around the world. We're just not accustomed to it happening to us.
You and I argued last week about the performance of OUR team, but stuff like this puts everything into perspective! God bless !

Advertisement
Glad this got a bump. I was 12 living in California. My mother woke me up at 6:00 AM pacific before school, 15 mins after the first plane hit the tower. She calmly told me and my brothers that there was something she was going to show us on TV that was scary and confusing, but that the world was going to change today and we needed to see it. It was profound and I remember it to this day.

Since we were on the west coast, we watched the 2nd plane hit live. I will never forget that as long as I live. It didn’t seem real even though I watched it happen. We saw the Pentagon, the Towers collapse, and heard about United 93 all before schools. We lived in a small town called Lompoc, in the shadow of Vandenburg AFB. It was the only time in my life I remember seeing fighter jets in the airspace (it’s a space/missile base) and the base being put to DEFCON 3. There were a lot of rumors that there was going to be attacks on the west coast and that the AFB might be a target or that we were going to be launching from VAFB. It was like a scene from a movie to a middle school kid.

I remember walking around school in a stupor all day. I was still pretty young and I don’t think I truly grasped what was going on, but I appreciated the parents and adults that kept every calm. I watched a lot of heroes work tirelessly to save people they didn’t know. I read stories of bravery and courage. Thank you to anyone who served during or after that time. To a little boy in California, you were legendary! Now at 32, I’m even more thankful for the selflessness and courage, even if I couldn’t fully grasp it 20 years ago

I was a Sr at USF about to take a Managerial Economics test. I still remember the professor telling us that an attack would happen at McDill?

First week of college at Long Island University. Came into the commons and saw everyone watching the TV's, asked a friend what was going on and he said the twin towers were gone. I couldn't believe it. Went to wait on line for 8 hours to donate blood, and then joined the Army Reserve a few weeks later.

Being stationed in Queens, I spend a lot of time at Ground Zero from 2002 to 2009. I live in Florida now and still haven't been to the site since it has reopened with the museum and the pools.

I'll never forget seeing the smoke clouds in the sky for weeks afterwards.

5th grade sitting in class. I just remember the principal saying don’t turn on the class TV through the PA, and every kid being picked up early one by one. My mom picked me up early and tried to explain the best way she could. I was so mad, and I would just watch what happened on the tv over and over again, and just think to myself If only I had some superpower to save everyone. I was only 10 at the time. All my family came over and just vented on what we should do to those responsible. Everyone just really upset and heartbroken by what happen. A couple family members joined the military shortly afterward. I’ll never forget

Advertisement
I was stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii as a Combat Engineer in 3rd Marine Regiment, Combat Assault Company.
1631372199847.png

Just walking into my 4th grade homeroom. Im about 6 hours away from it, but that was also the day I learned that it doesn't matter where you are because no one is ever truly safe.

My heart goes out to everybody, especially those of you on this site, that were personally affected by this tragic day.

Was walking into the gym and thought it was very unusual that everyone was huddled around the tvs and not working out

Advertisement
i was getting ready for work. The usual music station was talking about a plane hitting the WTC. Turning to on the TV, I watch for a few minutes, it wasn’t apparent yet what was happening. I then saw the second plane strike the other tower live. Finished dressing, drove to work. On the way, the radio news said another plane hit the Pentagon. Another plane may have gone down in Pennsylvania.

At work everyone was huddled around TVs in conference rooms.

A hour or so later we were all sent home for they day.

Surreal just rethinking about it.

Years later, I started a new job and a colleague told me worked in one of the Towers, but was late that day. He got off the subway between planes, saw the 2nd plane hit. Had to walk home. At that time he would still get a little freaked out by the sound of jets. One day a bomber flew low over us on its was to a flyover at Dodger Stadium (in LA). He had to get up a take a walk for while.

Last edited:
as a vet who was in basic training during this time, this day holds close to me.

P.S. @RVACane please keep an eye on this. This is to remember 9/11 and not other CIS shenanigans.
Thank you for all of the sacrifices you made!
I was driving to class at the local community college when I heard it on the radio. Still seems surreal.

i was getting ready for work. The usual music station was talking about a plane hitting the WTC. Turning to on the TV, I watch for a few minutes, it wasn’t apparent yet what was happening. I then saw the second plane strike the other tower live. Finished dressing, drove to work. On the way, the radio news said another plane hit the Pentagon. Another plane may have gone down in Pennsylvania.

At work everyone was huddled around TVs in conference rooms.

A hour or so later we were all sent home for they day.

Surreal just rethinking about it.
A young SGT at Fort Bragg watching it with some of the toughest men walking the earth and watching them shed tears. A moment in time that is surreal still to this day.

Working for United airlines. I had a 0700 departure out of Denver to LA. I was called at 0400 that the flight canceled for maintenance, otherwise, I would have been airborne

Advertisement
Back