Off-Topic Where were you on 9/11?

Advertisement
as a vet who was in basic training during this time, this day holds close to me.

P.S. @RVACane please keep an eye on this. This is to remember 9/11 and not other CIS shenanigans.
Walked into history class in HS. Still remember seeing the TV in the corner and thinking it was a movie or something then the 2nd plane hit and it said live on the screen. Everyone just sat in silence for the rest of the day in classrooms. PS - Thank you for your service.

senior in high school, i remember going from first period to second period there was a rumor that a plane hit the world trade center. our english teacher had a little 7" CRT tv and our whole class huddled around in shock as the second plane hit. everything was chaotic and a bunch of us just left campus and played madden at a friend's house for the rest of the day.

I was in 5th grade when this happened. I had to go home from school, pop Warner was cancelled and I saw the images of the towers burning at home on tv. Ill never forget seeing that. 9 years later, when I was old enough, I enlisted for this reason alone.

Advertisement
Was getting dressed for work and had the news on. Saw the plane hit and was thinking that it was a horrible accident. Then the second plane hit and knew we were under attack. Sad day

as a vet who was in basic training during this time, this day holds close to me.

P.S. @RVACane please keep an eye on this. This is to remember 9/11 and not other CIS shenanigans.
Talking to a college buddy of mine who was at camp pendleton when the first plane hit. That was a day like no other.

I was 9 years old....walking home from school. When I got in my mom had the TV on and I saw all of the planes crashing and commotion and dust.

My mom served 26 years in the army and retired. She was still in at the time.......Then I grew up and did 4 years in the Navy myself.

My mom was part of the desert storm crew that got exposed to the nerve gas and it’s messed her body up for life.

Anyhow RIP to the victims on the tragic day. Never Forget.

I was in the 5th grade and I didn't understand it at the time...why would anyone do this..took me awhile very sad and scary

Advertisement
I was walking into an Economics exam in college. We sat down, the professor handed out the exam and gave instructions, left the room(used to watch us on video while we were testing), than almost immediately ran back in scooped up all the exams and told us all to go directly home and watch the news. Got home just as the second building got hit. We watched the news for like 3 straight weeks. I will never forget that.

Last edited:

Basic training. All but one month of my career has been during wartime.

Yeah, there are kids who weren't alive on 9/11 serving in Afghanistan right now.

Yeah, there are kids who weren't alive on 9/11 serving in Afghanistan right now.
I'm stationed at Benning now, and every little man I see at sand hill going through basic was not alive for 9/11, yet they'll still get a chance to go to Afghanistan and defend our nation's interests and help the people of that country.

Advertisement

was junior in high school walking into my 2nd period cinematography class. i remember looking up at the TV and thinking "what movie is this????" my memory of that exact moment is vivid as ****. I enlisted in the Marines a year to the day later when i was able to.
I was at Ramstein AB GE, watching it on TV in my living room.
I was on the USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN 73) off the coast of Virginia in the Atlantic. We had planes on deck and were sent up to New York to provide air defense afterwards.

I was 9 years old....walking home from school. When I got in my mom had the TV on and I saw all of the planes crashing and commotion and dust.

My mom served 26 years in the army and retired. She was still in at the time.......Then I grew up and did 4 years in the Navy myself.

My mom was part of the desert storm crew that got exposed to the nerve gas and it’s messed her body up for life.

Anyhow RIP to the victims on the tragic day. Never Forget.
Thank you to all of you for your service and to you AND your families for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Advertisement
Also in the 5th grade. I had just been in Art class and had no idea anything had happened. My whole class was standing in the hallway, in single file waiting to walk back to our regular classroom. My little sister's class walked passed us, and my sister aggressively said "They blew up New York!"

I was there watching my building burn. I worked in the North Tower on an IT team for a financial firm. I was 5 minutes from work on the Jersey City side at 101 Hudson when they shutdown the PATH train just after the 1st plane hit. There were several hundred people on the streets near the PATH train talking about how a plane accidentally flew into the North Tower. Since the PATH train was closed, I walked down towards the Hudson River to catch a ferry accross to my building when the 2nd plane hit the South Tower. I knew this was no coincidence and immediately started walking in the opposite direction 6 blocks to the next PATH station that could take me West to my home because I knew the trains would be shut down soon and I didn't want to be trapped.

I made it home about 10:30 a.m. I was in complete shock when I turned on the tv watching my building collapse to the ground. I stayed inside my home for several days remaining in shock.

Since the phones were tied up, my IT team communicated thru our pagers (yah we had those back then). Everyone was ok. NYC was on complete lock down. My coworkers had to walk home. Some to Brooklyn. Others all the way uptown accross the GW Bridge over to Jersey.

A few days later, my IT team was relocated to our 101 Hudson building in Jersey City which is literally right on the edge of the river on the Jersey side directly west of the twin towers. It was very depressing every day eating in the cafeteria watching the buildings burn for weeks. The towers are so massive that sitting in the cafeteria across the river looked like you were viewing them across the street.

Sadly, a friend of a friend tragically died that day. Me and my coworkers use to hit up Windows on the World (107th floor North Tower ) for Latin night every Thursday after work where the restaurant has live Latin music and a DJ. My coworker/friend Ross had a group of female friends that would hang with us. One of them was walking home after the collapse of the buildings. She walked towards the World Financial Center building which was connected to the North Tower via a catwalk. She was on the phone with her mom telling her she was ok when the catwalk fell on her crushing her instantly. Very sad.
windows-of-the-world.jpg

This is what I remember. Sorry for all the details, but it's rather therapeutic for me on this day.

I've been back to NYC a few years ago when they were constructing the Freedom Tower. I didn't even recognize the area without the twin towers there. Perhaps it's time I visit the completed Freedom Tower to reconcile the past. This video below brought some happy memories and tears.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back