Where we Fall in the HC Pecking Order

The cat is out of the bag regrading UM’s penny pinching, half-assed athletic department. It’s not just UM fans accusing the administration of not caring anymore. Any coaching candidate is going to have to have a frank discussion regarding budgets before he considers the UM coaching job. I have a feeling the powers that be at UM are having a day of reckoning. They’ve been called out by national media members and are quite embarrassed. They’ll turn a blind eye to some crop duster flying a banner around the stadium but when the topic on national TV broadcasts is “Miami’s administration doesn’t care” you better believe it has their attention.

Advertisement
If Miami has USC’s commitment to athletics it would be top 5. That’s the difference.

I’m not defending Miami, but does USC really have a commitment to athletics?

They finally fired Clay Helton seemingly 10 years after the fanbase wanted him fired.

Pete Caroll was something like their fourth or fifth choice for coach, and he’s been their only coach who’s done well since John Robinson’s original tenure ended in 1982.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If reports are true, that Manny and Richt made $4-4.5 million it’s not like you’d be doubling salary. That’s a $2 million commitment. Again this goes back to what is your commitment? Paying $2 million more for a coach is an investment that shouldn’t be a difficult sell. If Miami becomes relevant nationally again what happens? I’d almost guarantee enrollment increases. Better exposure means more money. Right now what is Miami being talked about? A systemwide administration issue.

There is absolutely no good PR right now. If you can’t go to your donor base and show what this **** show is then kill the program. Again I’m not saying outspend Alabama. But do you want to win or just tread along?
What report said manny is getting 4? He makes 3.1 give or take

When I said that USC was urban Alabama, I was referring to the fact that they have a ton of resources and have a very localized, passionate alumni base. People forget that the typical USC alum stays in LA after graduation, giving them a link to the campus. It's a lot easier to fundraise when your alumni stay, find success and DOMINATE the local area. They aren't the only show in town like Alabama but you look around LA, SC alums are there in full force and they support their alma mater. There are more UF and FSU alumni in Dade County than Miami alums.

I can tell you this, the typical Miami alum leaves So. Florida, because most of us aren't local and we have little interest in remaining in the area.
the market and nd area sucks Unless youre From there. A lot of kids have connections elsewhere and honestly you sell your money short saying in Miami.

I'd be interested to see what the numbers say about the bold. I suspect it's very different among grads (who I would guess stay at a much higher frequency, and I know are more likely to originally be from here) than undergrads.

But I can't say I know the exact numbers that stay in South Florida vs. leave. What is clear is that we don't have nearly enough influence here.

I've long believed the school should be far more Florida-focused in terms of student demographics, and advocated means of keeping better in-state students local. I won't write a book here, but it'd help the football program imo, among other things.

I have no interest in living outside Florida, but that's obviously personal.
The issue is you won’t get the best student vs uf when you’re about the same quality as UF and UF is free. Also, im glad we had a ton of people out of state Bc I was born and raised in Miami and attended Miami and got to meet people from everywhere which I wouldn’t have at a state school

the market and nd area sucks Unless youre From there. A lot of kids have connections elsewhere and honestly you sell your money short saying in Miami.
I grew up in Dallas, moved to Miami to attend The U, and I knew by the end of my freshman year that I had no interest in staying to raise a family there. South Florida, despite the glitz and glamour is very backwards in regards to a lot of things. After Law School, I made tracks to Arizona. Even though I plan on moving to the east coast in a couple of years, South Florida hasn't ever entered the conversation(Charlotte is the clubhouse leader)

The whole point of this story is that I'm not the only alum that GTFOed out of South Florida after graduation. It's a big time problem and a difference between Miami and other places.

Advertisement
I was a grad student. I don't remember associating with a large number of out of state students.

My social life was admittedly far more off campus to be sure.
Yep, the commuter life is a unique one. I lived right off campus, so I was always plugged into what was going on, even when I was in grad/law school.

Yep, the commuter life is a unique one. I lived right off campus, so I was always plugged into what was going on, even when I was in grad/law school.
Acs was like their own life lol. I lived on campus Bc I didn’t want that acs life

I grew up in Dallas, moved to Miami to attend The U, and I knew by the end of my freshman year that I had no interest in staying to raise a family there. South Florida, despite the glitz and glamour is very backwards in regards to a lot of things. After Law School, I made tracks to Arizona. Even though I plan on moving to the east coast in a couple of years, South Florida hasn't ever entered the conversation(Charlotte is the clubhouse leader)

The whole point of this story is that I'm not the only alum that GTFOed out of South Florida after graduation. It's a big time problem and a difference between Miami and other places.
It’s a **** market w not great high end opportunities outside of lat am imo. Factor in a large uneducated pop and Add in cost of living. Miami is always home but it’s def not ideal in terms of settling down.

if Miami was la in terms of a market it’d be diff. USC grads can stay Bc la is a huge market for a ton of fields.

The Athletic polled over 100 coaches and ADs. Miami was voted the 13th best job in the nation. LSU and USC were ahead of Miami, but none of the other jobs are coming available any time soon.

That is the most accurate gauge of where we are. Full Top 15:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Texas
5. LSU
6. USC
7. Clemson
8. Oklahoma
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida
11. Michigan
12. Texas A&M
13. Miami
14. Oregon
15. FSU

Interesting

So does Mario uplift his family and start new to move up essentially 1 spot in the program attractiveness rankings

Advertisement
It wasn't traditional at all. I was totally at home, and spoke little english except when in class. 😂

Acs was like their own life lol. I lived on campus Bc I didn’t want that acs life
Did the on campus life for two years, and I was ready to move off campus. Lived right off of Granada, loved it.

And yes, ACS got on my nerves as an undergrad.

Advertisement
Did the on campus life for two years, and I was ready to move off campus. Lived right off of Granada, loved it.

And yes, ACS got on my nerves as an undergrad.
living in an off campus house or apt isn’t really commuter imo. To me commuter is more living at home w mom and dad. I lived in the grove my junior year.

Advertisement
Back