Where we Fall in the HC Pecking Order

WeBallinBoyz

Whisper "It Just Means More" Again Daddy
Premium
How many other programs that are considered nationally relevant in terms of either historical appeal, recent success, financial commitment, etc. will we have to navigate around in our upcoming head coaching search? I know, bold of me to assume we will even conduct one considering the mongoloid of an AD we have didn't do so last time.

USC and LSU (Ed O is cooked after getting blasted by Kentucky) both will have vacancies, but admittedly they are more attractive opportunities. Any others to keep an eye on?

Advertisement
USC yes.

LSU, while having a great recruiting base and more resources, also has a WAAAAY harder path to championships. Both conference and national.

So I could see a certain kind of coach choosing to come to Miami over LSU.

Recruiting is tied between the two.
Resources/pay LSU wins
Path to win Miami wins

It might get easier to win at lsu if they decide to put bama/auburn in east, when tx/ou come to town.

Advertisement
As things stand right now Miami would be near the top imho.

LSU/USC are the first two, no doubts about it. Other P5 jobs that could open up IMHO:

- Virginia Tech: they do not like Fuente and Fuente does not like them (he flirted with Baylor two years ago).
- Arizona State: they are doing very well but the NCAA investigation is something to monitor. It could get ugly.
- Wazzu: Rolovich and his vaccine beliefs are not very well perceived at the moment in Pullman.
- UCLA: Don't know....Chip is a strange cat and AD is new, he may want to bring his guy. I would not be surprised if they go in separate ways especially if UCLA starts losing games.

Barring any other unexpected change (i.e. Lincoln Riley/Dan Mullen in NFL) Miami should be one of the best openings this season. Fire Blake James & Manny Diaz.

SC and LSU are superior jobs because they offer unlimited resources.

Miami is behind those two jobs. Miami is a job that is unique because you have some of the things that can make for a great job(Availability to a local recruiting hotbed), nice campus, tradition), but you also have to work within constraints(Academic Standards, budget, small donor pool). For the right kind of coach, Miami is great, but for the typical coach, Miami can be extremely tough. This is why the powers that be have to think outside the box in regards to a coach, find someone that can win with obstacles, someone that is used to and thrives in an environment where you can't just throw money at every problem. Jeff Hafley, Dave Clawson, etc are guys that have shown the ability to win despite not having a ton of resources, guys that get the most out of the talent available. NFL guys are used to not being able to straight up outtalent teams, because the salary cap brings parity. That's why I want Miami to interview Kellen Moore and Eric Bieniemy as well. They would thrive at a place like Miami, because they are already pro coaches, and Miami is the closest thing to a pro job at the collegiate level.

Filling big openings like USC and LSU will have a domino effect downstream in terms of backfilling...

How else do you think so many inept coaches and assistants continue to get jobs??

Last edited:
Advertisement
Doubt we even look at the same guys as USC. We’re easily after LSU in the pecking order because they’re gonna pay more. They’re also going to be looking for proven names and we’re gonna be looking at the G5 level or Mario. That’s pretty much the list. Doubt there’s a lot of overlap in candidates.

James Franklin probably overlaps LSU and USC but he won’t even be on our radar.

USC yes.

LSU, while having a great recruiting base and more resources, also has a WAAAAY harder path to championships. Both conference and national.

Resources/pay LSU wins
Path to win Miami wins
No way Miami is a better job than LSU. The only advantage Miami might have is path to a title, but LSU has proven it can be done with titles in 2003, 2007 and 2019. When was the last time Miami was even in the hunt? LSU will also pay significantly more for head coach, as well as assistant coaches and support staff. Would love to see the coach who is selecting Miami over LSU.

If you step back and take off Canes' glasses, Miami is less attractive than we think.

Advertisement
USC yes.

Resources/pay LSU wins
Path to win Miami wins
Lol no coach in their right mind outside of someone with specific ties like Mario chooses Miami over LSU. LSU is a top 5 job.

No way Miami is a better job than LSU. The only advantage Miami might have is path to a title, but LSU has proven it can be done with titles in 2003, 2007 and 2019. When was the last time Miami was even in the hunt? LSU will also pay significantly more for head coach, as well as assistant coaches and support staff. Would love to see the coach who is selecting Miami over LSU.

If you step back and take off Canes' glasses, Miami is less attractive than we think.

Agreed. Louisiana has been a hot bed of talent for years. You just laid out the price model while they have more of a commitment from boosters and admin (something lacking in Miami) - and that's the main point. We just have an easier path.

Our job isn’t open….. 😣
Gut punch

Angry Take That GIF by Film Riot

Advertisement
Penn St will probably open up too. Seems pretty obvious Franklin wants USC and I read that LSU would have interest in him if/when coach O is out.

Advertisement
Back