Where to find a QB (A Living Thread)

Official Cane Gang

Sophomore
As we have discussed multiple times with many positions (QB,OL,LB), we need to be taking a QB every year. The stack chips mentality needs to be a focal point once again. We can no longer recruit just for depth, if we want to be competitive. The "next man up" saying only works if you have someone behind your starter, who can play.

At the moment we have Kosi, Jarren, and Cade. One has experience, and we haven't gotten a true glimpse of the other two. Kosi has shown growth and the ability to win games. He is becoming a leader that we need. But this is football and QBs get hit A LOT (Shoutout Coach Searels). We need to know 100%, that the backup can come in and deliver.

This will be a "living thread" as I will update as I breakdown QB prospects.

So here are some names of some kids who would be great additions to the team and that have the tools to help in the event of an emergency.

I will break them down in two categories:

Flips
Non-Committed

Flips

Garrett Shrader 6-4 208 (Currently committed to Miss St)

Turn on the film and enjoy. He led his team to an undefeated season and a state championship. He didn't have monster throwing numbers, but all three years as a starter his INT numbers were LOW. He threw for 22 TDs and added 17 rushing TDs.

Strengths

-Size. Isn't a guy who will have to spend his first year eating and lifting to fill his jersey. He possesses good lower body strength.

-Accuracy/Zip. The ball comes off his hand fast. He does not spend a ton of time thinking where it needs to go. He gets set, fires the ball off, and puts it right where it needs to be. His accuracy is impressive because he puts it within the receivers catch radius. He also makes sure to put the ball just over defenders or on the receivers body as needed.

-Mobility. You do not run for almost over 700 yards and 17 TDs without being mobile. He makes he decision quickly. He never stands flat footed in the pocket; he always has his feet moving but eyes downfield. He looks to break tackles and elude the sack many times on his tape. He reminds me of a bigger Baker Mayfield.

-Awareness. This is a HUGE trait to possess as a QB. Shrader seems to know exactly what is happening all around him at all times. He feels pressure, he avoids it, he leaves the pocket and quickly decides to throw or carry the ball.

Weaknesses

-Mechanics. I don't believe his throwing motion is off other than how low he holds the ball once the ball is snapped to him. Sometimes he holds the ball lower than other times, but he has to raises the ball up before he begins his throw. This is something that can be fixed, but just something I noticed.

-Competition. I am not sure of the competition level he plays against in North Carolina, but a lot of the teams on his tape look to be smaller/not as athletic. Not always a big deal when it comes to recruits, but something that has to be considered.

-Arm Strength. One of the big takeaways from his tape is: Can he throw the deep ball? This has been an issue since Morris left. We haven't had a guy who could stretch the field with his arm. Kosi does have that strength, but Shrader doesn't have as much distance on this throws as you might like to see. He does make up for it with his accuracy and zip, but we need someone who can hit our speedsters after they have torched a DB.

-Is it too late? Probably, as it seems that he is set on going to Miss St, but we are actively going after Howell, who has said he is set on fsu. I don't see an issue trying to get him in just to see something different. Fitzgerald is leaving Miss St and Kelly Bryant went to Mizzou, so Shrader might stay with Miss St due to the early playing opportunity. But at this point, do we really have anything to lose?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kennique Bonner-Steward 6-4 215 (Currently Committed to Temple)

The first video is his Junior tape, in which you can see some NFL level throws. In his senior season he threw for 29 TDs, 8 INTs, and added 8 TDs on the ground. His team finished 11-3.

Strengths

-Arm. Kid has a cannon! It is not just that he can throw far, but where he puts the ball on the long throws. His WRs are running underneath the ball, or getting it right where they need it to be. Point being, he gives his receivers the opportunity to make a play on the ball. Now if our WRs can catch those throws....

-RPO. I know I know, I am tired of hearing it all the time too, but KBS runs it well. He sees the whole and keeps it, resulting in big gains. 12 was actually pretty good at the RPO, and if we continue to run it, we need someone who can see and make the decision FAST.

-Eyes. Something I noticed in his Junior film is that his eyes are constantly scanning the field. He is able to go from primary target, to the secondary fast. When he breaks the pocket he is still staring straight down the field. Thats been a BIG issue with our QBs. They always seem to look for one guy and miss open targets.

Weaknesses

-Pressure. In his tapes, there isn't too many times you see get hit or touched at all. He avoids pressure well, but what happens when he gets hit? Can he stand and deliver in the face of pressure? This is more of an unknown than thinking he isn't capable. He looks pretty blessed to have an OL that keeps him clean.

-Release. The ball seems to come off his hand a little slower than you'd prefer. His motion is kind of elongated. I would like to see more zip on his passes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
I've brought up shrader multiple times on the board. He is a coworkers sons teammate and local to me. The common opponent him.and Howell have in common Howell got shut down sharder went out and won them the game. The competition since he is at a private school Charlotte Christian isn't amazing but they did play Pace out of Georgia and beat them. They aren't in the division with Mallard Creek or independence or any of the super big schools but he is a very good and humble kid. The richt pastor vibe could work with his Christian values.

Last edited:
Ty Evans...currently committed to Colorado. After McIntyre was fired, he said he was going to poke his head around. Elite 11 kid. Also an Early Enrollee. Former Arkansas commit.

Would role the dice or kick the tires.

Advertisement
Boone Abbott 6-2 175

Top 5 in the NATION for passing stats. Threw for just shy of 4500 yards, had 47 passing TDs, and added 8 more on the ground.

Strengths

-Gunslinger. Abbot's tape is very fun to watch. He takes the snap, finds a target, and fires the ball off. He can make all the throws. Outs, long balls, and he can squeeze the pill through tight windows. There were a few times where I found myself saying, "WOW". Numbers don't lie and he put up MASSIVE numbers this past season. A stat that I think is underrated is the average number of yards per completion, and his was 14.4.

-Playmaker. The kid just knows how to make things happen. He can look a defender off, which I think is pretty impressive for a HS QB, and deliver an accurate pass for a big game. When he notices the pocket collapsing, he slips out, and tries to find someone separating from a defender down field. Some of his most impressive throws are on the run. The way that he moves around reminds me a bit of Manziel.

Weaknesses

-Competition. Again, this is something that could play a factor or could mean nothing at all. He plays in Utah, and I am not sure about the level of play out there. It is obviously a big difference from the well known areas that produce big time talent. He plays on the #4 team in the State, but can he play with/acclimate to a whole different environment, and type of personalities than he is probably used to?

-Decision Making/Process. You don't just put up those huge stats with a lack of these two things, but there are times in his tape where defenders, if better athletes, could have made a play on the ball. While he possesses the skill of looking off a defender, there were a few of throws that felt premeditated; He went with the #1 target. This is me being nitpicky and trying to find something that could be of issue latter. He is raw, but has a lot of potential when it comes to playing the position.

This is what frustrates me about these threads; why are my Cane Brothers on point w these QBs, yet this staff continues to wait to the last minute?!

Advertisement
As we have discussed multiple times with many positions (QB,OL,LB), we need to be taking a QB every year. The stack chips mentality needs to be a focal point once again. We can no longer recruit just for depth, if we want to be competitive. The "next man up" saying only works if you have someone behind your starter, who can play.

At the moment we have Kosi, Jarren, and Cade. One has experience, and we haven't gotten a true glimpse of the other two. Kosi has shown growth and the ability to win games. He is becoming a leader that we need. But this is football and QBs get hit A LOT (Shoutout Coach Searels). We need to know 100%, that the backup can come in and deliver.

This will be a "living thread" as I will update as I breakdown QB prospects.

So here are some names of some kids who would be great additions to the team and that have the tools to help in the event of an emergency.

I will break them down in two categories:

Flips
Non-Committed

Flips

Garrett Shrader 6-4 208 (Currently committed to Miss St)

Turn on the film and enjoy. He led his team to an undefeated season and a state championship. He didn't have monster throwing numbers, but all three years as a starter his INT numbers were LOW. He threw for 22 TDs and added 17 rushing TDs.

Strengths

-Size. Isn't a guy who will have to spend his first year eating and lifting to fill his jersey. He possesses good lower body strength.

-Accuracy/Zip. The ball comes off his hand fast. He does not spend a ton of time thinking where it needs to go. He gets set, fires the ball off, and puts it right where it needs to be. His accuracy is impressive because he puts it within the receivers catch radius. He also makes sure to put the ball just over defenders or on the receivers body as needed.

-Mobility. You do not run for almost over 700 yards and 17 TDs without being mobile. He makes he decision quickly. He never stands flat footed in the pocket; he always has his feet moving but eyes downfield. He looks to break tackles and elude the sack many times on his tape. He reminds me of a bigger Baker Mayfield.

-Awareness. This is a HUGE trait to possess as a QB. Shrader seems to know exactly what is happening all around him at all times. He feels pressure, he avoids it, he leaves the pocket and quickly decides to throw or carry the ball.

Weaknesses

-Mechanics. I don't believe his throwing motion is off other than how low he holds the ball once the ball is snapped to him. Sometimes he holds the ball lower than other times, but he has to raises the ball up before he begins his throw. This is something that can be fixed, but just something I noticed.

-Competition. I am not sure of the competition level he plays against in North Carolina, but a lot of the teams on his tape look to be smaller/not as athletic. Not always a big deal when it comes to recruits, but something that has to be considered.

-Arm Strength. One of the big takeaways from his tape is: Can he throw the deep ball? This has been an issue since Morris left. We haven't had a guy who could stretch the field with his arm. Kosi does have that strength, but Shrader doesn't have as much distance on this throws as you might like to see. He does make up for it with his accuracy and zip, but we need someone who can hit our speedsters after they have torched a DB.

-Is it too late? Probably, as it seems that he is set on going to Miss St, but we are actively going after Howell, who has said he is set on fsu. I don't see an issue trying to get him in just to see something different. Fitzgerald is leaving Miss St and Kelly Bryant went to Mizzou, so Shrader might stay with Miss St due to the early playing opportunity. But at this point, do we really have anything to lose?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kennique Bonner-Steward 6-4 215 (Currently Committed to Temple)

The first video is his Junior tape, in which you can see some NFL level throws. In his senior season he threw for 29 TDs, 8 INTs, and added 8 TDs on the ground. His team finished 11-3.

Strengths

-Arm. Kid has a cannon! It is not just that he can throw far, but where he puts the ball on the long throws. His WRs are running underneath the ball, or getting it right where they need it to be. Point being, he gives his receivers the opportunity to make a play on the ball. Now if our WRs can catch those throws....

-RPO. I know I know, I am tired of hearing it all the time too, but KBS runs it well. He sees the whole and keeps it, resulting in big gains. 12 was actually pretty good at the RPO, and if we continue to run it, we need someone who can see and make the decision FAST.

-Eyes. Something I noticed in his Junior film is that his eyes are constantly scanning the field. He is able to go from primary target, to the secondary fast. When he breaks the pocket he is still staring straight down the field. Thats been a BIG issue with our QBs. They always seem to look for one guy and miss open targets.

Weaknesses

-Pressure. In his tapes, there isn't too many times you see get hit or touched at all. He avoids pressure well, but what happens when he gets hit? Can he stand and deliver in the face of pressure? This is more of an unknown than thinking he isn't capable. He looks pretty blessed to have an OL that keeps him clean.

-Release. The ball seems to come off his hand a little slower than you'd prefer. His motion is kind of elongated. I would like to see more zip on his passes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't people understand RPO, and especially in CMR system, that the QB run is almost a non-factor. RPO is run pass option, not zone read!
Two massive difference. RPO run to the tail or pass to receivers. Zone read run to the tail or QB run.

Advertisement
Because this is a chitty year for QBs.

Eh; I don’t know about all of that. Guarantee some of these QBs wind up being pretty good. The guy we zero’d in on for 2019 put up pretty chitty stats both this season and his Jr yr, and did not perform well at the elite 11 comp. The guy we zero’d on last cycle was pretty much the same type of QB and we were this close to having our dyck left out in our hand.

It’s too simple to say this class sucks for QBs therefore....

Well, if that’s the case, stop scrambling for a QB this cycle like you said you wouldn’t. Every class is going to have a couple of guys underrated by recruiting services or guys who are putting up video game numbers against weak comp that are legitly good or legitly overrated.

My problem is you can’t just zero in on one guy, especially for the QB position w/o keeping an open mind.

Last edited:
Looking at highlight films is not due diligence. Everyone looks great in them...
A lot more to it then that...

Meh; I disagree.

Yes, I know what u’re saying, b/c I’m one of the main guys who say that. They’re called highlights for a reason. Lol.

But u can learn a lot from highlights. First off, how much footage do you have? Second, what’s the competition like you’re facing? Third, what’s ur mechanics looking like? What’s your vision looking like? What’s your anticipation looking like? What’s your trajectory looking like? Do you know when to gun it v. using touch? What tools do u have? Etc.

Highlights give you an introduction, but if the highlights intrigue you, then go see the guy or send out fillers. Does he look coachable? Does he team respect him? Do the coaches trust him? Does he take accountability? Etc.

Eh; I don’t know about all of that. Guarantee some of these QBs wind up being pretty good. The guy we zero’d in on for 2019 put up pretty chitty stats both this season and his Jr yr, and did not perform well at the elite 11 comp. The guy we zero’d on last cycle was pretty much the same type of QB and we were this close to having our dyck left out in our hand.

It’s too simple to say this class sucks for QBs therefore....

Well, if that’s the case, stop scrambling for a QB this cycle like you said you wouldn’t. Every class is going to have a couple of guys underrated by recruiting services or guys who are putting up video game numbers against weak comp that are legitly good or legitly overrated.

My problem is you can’t just zero in on one guy, especially for the QB position w/o keeping an open mind.

Will this class produce anything better than Nkosi? Because we hold him in high regards, had record breaking stats against better than others competition and he was ranked only 15th at his position, 7th dual. Thats why its chitty, not because there wont be a couple hidden gems, but because its pretty much Rattler, Howell, and a bunch of MAC qbs.

And its not really a scramble its more of a numbers thing. I dont think they are high on any QBs this year.

Advertisement
Will this class produce anything better than Nkosi? Because we hold him in high regards, had record breaking stats against better than others competition and he was ranked only 15th at his position, 7th dual. Thats why its chitty, not because there wont be a couple hidden gems, but because its pretty much Rattler, Howell, and a bunch of MAC qbs.

And its not really a scramble its more of a numbers thing. I dont think they are high on any QBs this year.

There's several good QBs bro some that were on the market for a minute that wind up going to other programs.
Furthermore, I believe some in the know questioned N'Kosi's mechanics from the jump. Called him a street football player, playing against weak comp. He had terrible mechanics, and of course this staff is not good at helping QBs mechanics. Hence, he only completed 51% of his passes.

Your doing a better job that Johnny boy who is actually collecting a **** check to get us some arm talented QBs in here

Keep it up brotha loving this thread man!

There's several good QBs bro some that were on the market for a minute that wind up going to other programs.
Furthermore, I believe some in the know questioned N'Kosi's mechanics from the jump. Called him a street football player, playing against weak comp. He had terrible mechanics, and of course this staff is not good at helping QBs mechanics. Hence, he only completed 51% of his passes.
Would you put any of the top 15 in this class over any of the top 15 from the past few years? Outside of Howell and Rattler I don’t see it.

Boone Abbott 6-2 175

Top 5 in the NATION for passing stats. Threw for just shy of 4500 yards, had 47 passing TDs, and added 8 more on the ground.

Strengths

-Gunslinger. Abbot's tape is very fun to watch. He takes the snap, finds a target, and fires the ball off. He can make all the throws. Outs, long balls, and he can squeeze the pill through tight windows. There were a few times where I found myself saying, "WOW". Numbers don't lie and he put up MASSIVE numbers this past season. A stat that I think is underrated is the average number of yards per completion, and his was 14.4.

-Playmaker. The kid just knows how to make things happen. He can look a defender off, which I think is pretty impressive for a HS QB, and deliver an accurate pass for a big game. When he notices the pocket collapsing, he slips out, and tries to find someone separating from a defender down field. Some of his most impressive throws are on the run. The way that he moves around reminds me a bit of Manziel.

Weaknesses

-Competition. Again, this is something that could play a factor or could mean nothing at all. He plays in Utah, and I am not sure about the level of play out there. It is obviously a big difference from the well known areas that produce big time talent. He plays on the #4 team in the State, but can he play with/acclimate to a whole different environment, and type of personalities than he is probably used to?

-Decision Making/Process. You don't just put up those huge stats with a lack of these two things, but there are times in his tape where defenders, if better athletes, could have made a play on the ball. While he possesses the skill of looking off a defender, there were a few of throws that felt premeditated; He went with the #1 target. This is me being nitpicky and trying to find something that could be of issue latter. He is raw, but has a lot of potential when it comes to playing the position.

Send this to the corches.

Advertisement
Back