Where the top 25 players in Broward and Dade signed

Went back and read some older posts and I agree Wardrick Wilson was a headscratcher. Some have suggested there might be academic issues.

Advertisement
We lost big on maybe three of the top Dade players: Lucas, Nunn, and Brownlee.

Lucas was always going to be tough because of a family connection to an FSU assistant. His interview suggested we did a very good job of recruiting him but the connection to FSU was too strong to overcome. Don't blame the coaches for this one. Impossible situation.

Not sure about Nunn. Did I read that hat family was pushing him to go there?

How about Brownlee? No idea what went on there.

Ladson? Never a chance.

How much was Richt and how much was Golden. We used to lose elite South Florida players to other schools a lot: Sterling Palmer, Rich McKenzie, Marvin Jones, Lamont Green, Samari Rolle, Paul Moore, and more. FSU especially used to kill us with South Florida kids. I remember the late '80's better because I stopped paying as much attention after I began to realize what a crapshoot this is.

Just because a player "balls out" in a HS game doesn't mean he has the attributes coaches are looking for. I'm not willing to entirely pass judgement on Searles until he gets several years with his own recruits, not Golden's.

I've told the story of how our former DL coach Bob Karmelowicz (one of the best in the history of the program) told me what he looked for. They really paid almost no attention to recruiting lists put out by journalists. Very few of these guys who write these evaluations have significant coaching or playing experience. Bob was looking for a specific type of body and he would then evaluate. He was willing to take kids who met his criteria and felt he could coach them into football players.

I'm not willing to totally absolve Richt, Searles or the rest of the coaching staff for the downward spiral this year, but there wasn't a lot of great talent awaiting the Richt staff. Not like Golden left the successors a plethora of talent.

Plus, I do believe this talk of "bags." I don't know if we can find a way to overcome this without creating some kind of regulatory regime at the federal level to investigate how Bama and others violate the rules. Either the stories are not true or are exaggerated or the NCAA can't or won't deal with it.

“but there wasn't a lot of great talent awaiting the Richt staff.”

That’s not necessary true.
Richt inherited NFL players at every skill position on offense.

Advertisement
This is not necessarily different from some years in the past. Just because a kid is rated highly by some journalist doesn't mean they are a take for Miami. A lot of those kids were apparently not players we wanted. Mopers and whiners will try to spin it differently. I used to read the Herald post-NSD wrap-up and I'M be struck by how many guys rated tops in Dade or Broward were really kids we didn't want.

Yeah, we had a disappointing year, especially at certain positions but most of our top targets (e.g., QB, RB,and other positions) were not to be found in Dade or Broward this year.

People will argue I'm wrong but I not going to read too much in to this.

We got the best LBs in Dade and broward, may get the best DB in South Florida, missed on Maurice Smith who was a backup plan, did we really want any other OLs in South Florida? Still have a shot at best DL in South Florida. Lost a couple of of good but not elite corners.

The fact that we didn't want some of these kids is partially the issue. Why does Clemson and Oklahoma want kids that Miami doesn't want? (Boetang, Dorlus, Davis, etc)
That makes sense?
7-5 Miami's evaluations are better than teams competing for national titles?

And for some reason we're the only MF'ing school that over-thinks their evaluations.
We act like we're drafting kids to play in the NFL.

We won't offer a local kid cause he's only 267lbs (and doesn't have the frame to be 300) but meanwhile Clemson...a DL factory that has multiple 1st rounders...will sign the kid.
Like a **** 285lb DT can't be successful in the ACC. LOL
So instead we sign these fat lumbering MF'ers.

Could not agree more with this!

I hate hearing evaluations based on “NFL upside”... I don’t give a **** about NFL upside give me some dudes who will fit our scheme, not knuckle heads and can be available, and play their ****s off for their teammates

I don’t mind chasing the big fish but dammit not signing local linemen like fox, Wilson, and smith as “in the bag” class kids is ridiculous

And for some reason we're the only MF'ing school that over-thinks their evaluations.
We act like we're drafting kids to play in the NFL.

We won't offer a local kid cause he's only 267lbs (and doesn't have the frame to be 300) but meanwhile Clemson...a DL factory that has multiple 1st rounders...will sign the kid.
Like a **** 285lb DT can't be successful in the ACC. LOL
So instead we sign these fat lumbering MF'ers.

Now hold on now Coach, a school needs a balance of athletic guys on the dline and big Grizzly Bear types that can straight up man handle OL's when it's time. You can't take a 260'lbs high school kid an grow him into a elite 0 or 1 tech. They have to be built that way, an those 300lbs dancing dear big M'fers are hard to find.

Jalar Holley is a 0 tech at Miami where are Dorus is going play 3 tech at Oregon next to 350lbs kid from the Tampa Bay area. So depending on position you have to compare apples to apples.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
You feel EXACTLY how I feel.

Here's my thing...
..When Buford played Deerfield, Jalar Holley did absolutely nothing and Brandon Dorlus balled out.
How do you think that looks to people who know? Makes Miami look like slapd!ck recruiters.
You passed up a local DT with offers from Clemson, UF, Auburn, Oregon, etc...for some lumbering kid from Buford Georgia?
You don't think the Deerfield players/coaches are saying "Miami offered THAT kid over ours?" (they are)
And then our fans ***** and moan when we can't get Deerfield kids.
You don't think Carol City players/coaches feel the same way about Ray and Wright?

A lot of these local prospects are tight with each other.
And they all know who's good down here and who isn't. Certain kids are held in high regard locally, among their peers.

When a local kid who's widely considered a baller by everybody down here isn't offered/pursued by Miami, it makes us look like we don't know WTF we're doing.

I agree in principle when comparing identical positions, but Holley played NT and Dorlus played DE and 3 Tech which are very different. I will agree as NT go there were several I wanted Miami to sign ahead of Holley ( 1st being Ika Siaki Ika, 2nd being Ladrious Cox), but you get you get and we can only get upset at this point.

NT Ladrius Cox is unsigned but the Volunteer Bagman apparently made a Christmas drop, cause he recently reaffirmed he is signing with Tenn.

Last edited:
I agree in principle when comparing identical positions, but Holley played NT and Dorlus played DE and 3 Tech which are very different. I will agree as NT go there were several I wanted Miami to sign ahead of Holley ( 1st being Ika Siaki Ika, 2nd being Ladrious Cox), but you get you get and we can only get upset at this point.

NT Ladrius Cox is unsigned but the Volunteer Bagman apparently made a Christmas drop, cause he recently reaffirmed he is signing with Tenn.

Does it really matter what they played in high school? We play an "even front" at Miami so we don't have a true NT anyway.
It's about signing superior athletes and projecting them to the next level.

They're both DT's at the next level. (well at least they would be for Miami)
One is going to be 300+ and lumbering.
The other is going to be 285+ and explosive.

I don't know what has happened during the past 2 regimes but The University of Miami used to recruit EXPLOSIVENESS FIRST, weight/size second. That's how we became the fastest defense in college football.

I'm assuming that we didn't want Jaden Davis because he was too small.
Well Bandy was "too small" coming out of high school too, and how often has that inferiority cost us in games since he's been here? All the kid does is make plays.

WE NEED TO STOP OVER-DISSECTING THESE PLAYERS AND SIGN PLAY-MAKERS.

Now hold on now Coach, a school needs a balance of athletic guys on the dline and big Grizzly Bear types that can straight up man handle OL's when it's time. You can't take a 260'lbs high school kid an grow him into a elite 0 or 1 tech. They have to be built that way, an those 300lbs dancing dear big M'fers are hard to find.

Jalar Holley is a 0 tech at Miami where are Dorus is going play 3 tech at Oregon next to 350lbs kid from the Tampa Bay area. So depending on position you have to compare apples to apples.

Go Canes

We already have some grizzlies on the DL.
Jon Ford is a grizzly.
Jordan Miller is a grizzly.
Tyreic Martin is a grizzly.

What we lack at DT right now is explosiveness.
Silvera is the special breed that happens to have the elite combo, but other than him we don't have anybody that really gets off the ball.

We already have some grizzlies on the DL.
Jon Ford is a grizzly.
Jordan Miller is a grizzly.
Tyreic Martin is a grizzly.

What we lack at DT right now is explosiveness.
Silvera is the special breed that happens to have the elite combo, but other than him we don't have anybody that really gets off the ball.

Tyreic martin is a 270lbs skinny black beer which is very different from 300+lbs Grizzlies. The other two I agree with.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Does it really matter what they played in high school? We play an "even front" at Miami so we don't have a true NT anyway.
It's about signing superior athletes and projecting them to the next level.

They're both DT's at the next level. (well at least they would be for Miami)
One is going to be 300+ and lumbering.
The other is going to be 285+ and explosive.

I don't know what has happened during the past 2 regimes but The University of Miami used to recruit EXPLOSIVENESS FIRST, weight/size second. That's how we became the fastest defense in college football.

I'm assuming that we didn't want Jaden Davis because he was too small.
Well Bandy was "too small" coming out of high school too, and how often has that inferiority cost us in games since he's been here? All the kid does is make plays.

WE NEED TO STOP OVER-DISSECTING THESE PLAYERS AND SIGN PLAY-MAKERS.

At Miami we play an aggressive 4-3/4-2 base defense from an even over front that does require a 0 or 1 tech. So we can't just load up on all 3 tech or 5 tech types we also need a few war daddy types that are more athletic and slightly smaller than the traditional hulking 2 gap NT types, but still bigger or stronger than a typical 3 tech.

4-3_Over_Gaps_and_Techs2.0.jpg

Go Canes

Last edited:
At Miami we play an aggressive 4-3/4-2 base defense from an even over front that does require a 0 or 1 tech. So we can't just load up on all 3 tech or 5 tech types we also need a few war daddy types that are more athletic and slightly smaller than the traditional hulking 2 gap NT types, but still bigger or stronger than a typical 3 tech.

4-3_Over_Gaps_and_Techs2.0.jpg

Go Canes
O **** the internet clipboards are coming out.

Advertisement
The fact that we didn't want some of these kids is partially the issue. Why does Clemson and Oklahoma want kids that Miami doesn't want? (Boetang, Dorlus, Davis, etc)
That makes sense?
7-5 Miami's evaluations are better than teams competing for national titles?

I believe this goes to your statement this summer about the coaching staff!!! shameful that a guy with Richt's experience is rolling like this...

Yup the dreaded long off season is approaching when posts like this start to pop up
Luckily our incumbent coaching staff has left us no shortage of material to bytch about for the next 9 months and not a lot to look forward too. May be time for a self-band.

Advertisement
Back