Where the top 25 players in Broward and Dade signed

And for some reason we're the only MF'ing school that over-thinks their evaluations.
We act like we're drafting kids to play in the NFL.

We won't offer a local kid cause he's only 267lbs (and doesn't have the frame to be 300) but meanwhile Clemson...a DL factory that has multiple 1st rounders...will sign the kid.
Like a **** 285lb DT can't be successful in the ACC. LOL
So instead we sign these fat lumbering MF'ers.

Advertisement
You feel EXACTLY how I feel.

Here's my thing...

Let's say I'm looking for an LB.
Of course I'm going to go after the elite LB's no matter where they're located...
But if I have a choice between two relatively equal kids...one out-of-state and one in South FLA...I'm recruiting the one in South Florida.
To me that's a no brainer. He plays against superior competition and it establishes a better relationship with local programs. I'm not passing up a local stud LB for some kid out-of-state unless he's marginally better. (which hasn't been the case with most of our offers)

I don't think people understand that the local kids/coaches know when Miami offers an out-of-state kid over them (or their teammate)
If that particular out-of-state kid is trash, these local kids/coaches will LOL/SMH at Miami. It creates a bit of animosity towards the local program.

When Buford played Deerfield, Jalar Holley did absolutely nothing and Brandon Dorlus balled out.
How do you think that looks to people who know? Makes Miami look like slapd!ck recruiters.
You passed up a local DT with offers from Clemson, UF, Auburn, Oregon, etc...for some lumbering kid from Buford Georgia?
You don't think the Deerfield players/coaches are saying "Miami offered THAT kid over ours?" (they are)
And then our fans ***** and moan when we can't get Deerfield kids.
You don't think Carol City players/coaches feel the same way about Ray and Wright?

A lot of these local prospects are tight with each other.
And they all know who's good down here and who isn't. Certain kids are held in high regard locally, among their peers.

When a local kid who's widely considered a baller by everybody down here isn't offered/pursued by Miami, it makes us look like we don't know WTF we're doing.

Good post...but it goes both ways. There's a bunch of local kids we're on first that we recruit the hardest that tell us to **** our own face on signing day or before.

Exactly!

I don't usually get to bothered by misses. Those are going to happen. What always bothers me most is the studs that we don't even offer.

Kids who are good enough to go to Clemson or Florida but not good enough to earn an offer from our 7-5 five staff.
Exactly, wasn’t the Boateng kid beginning for a chance from the U and now he’s headed to Clemson. Wtf???

Good post...but it goes both ways. There's a bunch of local kids we're on first that we recruit the hardest that tell us to **** our own face on signing day or before.

Here is the thing...there are multiple Jarvis Brownlees every year in Miami-Dade and even more if you add in Broward and Palm Beach. So, yeah...Brownlee kindly request you fvck off at the midnight hour...but you've got John Dixon (not SoFla, but to make a point) already so, no big deal. Instead, Miami ends up with nobody or needing to sign some borderline 3* from Kentucky to add a body.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s a shame when most of the kids on this list weren’t even recruited by us. Not a good look for future classes when the local school prefers to go after kids from elsewhere instead of talent equally good if not better (yet undersized in the staffs eyes even though size in CFB don’t mean ****) locally.

The last two staffs are seeing the same results. Different regimes but same results. That in and of itself tells me this ain't as simple as we think it should be. It was easy to paint Golden as a clueless clown, but Richt is a veteran and is looking just as clueless. Are we under-budgeted, are our academic standards higher, is our recruiting department understaffed? What's the deal? It seems like it should be pretty easy to cherry pick in our backyard year in and out, but that is not the case.

A lot of talk here, but not a lot of solutions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Nunn and Brownlee were big losses down the stretch

6526DBDB-7EB4-427D-9B65-69A6686364F6.gif

In all fairness we targeted far less than normal in Dade...Wasn't a big Dade year at all. But point taken, need to do MUCH better.
This is not necessarily different from some years in the past. Just because a kid is rated highly by some journalist doesn't mean they are a take for Miami. A lot of those kids were apparently not players we wanted. Mopers and whiners will try to spin it differently. I used to read the Herald post-NSD wrap-up and I'M be struck by how many guys rated tops in Dade or Broward were really kids we didn't want.

Yeah, we had a disappointing year, especially at certain positions but most of our top targets (e.g., QB, RB,and other positions) were not to be found in Dade or Broward this year.

People will argue I'm wrong but I not going to read too much in to this.

We got the best LBs in Dade and broward, may get the best DB in South Florida, missed on Maurice Smith who was a backup plan, did we really want any other OLs in South Florida? Still have a shot at best DL in South Florida. Lost a couple of of good but not elite corners.

Had a great discussion with one of my boys about this.

We were both in agreement.

Losing out on Evan Neal, Jadon Haselwood. Not a big deal in the grand scheme. As I said in another thread...they are Aston Martins and we are on a Hyundai budget.

BUT.

Losing Michael Tarquin after being committed for a year to the Gators?
Losing Jarvis Brownlee to the Noles after being the first to offer him and having his commitment for six months?
Telling Nayquan Wright "no thanks"?
Ignoring Kaiir Elam until a month ago?
In a class where you need OL badly, you ignore a Central OT Wardrick Wilson throughout the entire process and you end up with...ELGAMMEL?

Just examples, but some downright buffoonery in the Hecht. Mismanagement. Improper Planning. Trash evaluations.

This has happened like clockwork here until numerous incarnations of coaching staffs. And these **** classes always end up the same...pass on Miami-Dade, Broward, or State of Florida studs that would be Canes if you were on them throughout the process, but Miami ends up with bums.

Saying no thanks to Ricardo Allen, but signing Devonta Davis. Saying no thanks to Skai Moore and ending up with nobody because you THOUGHT Matthew Thomas was coming. Ryan Shazier is "too small" but you take Tyrone Cornelius. You have James Wiggins committed...tell'em no thanks, but sign Jeff James.

Who sanctions this buffoonery?
How much was Richt and how much was Golden. We used to lose elite South Florida players to other schools a lot: Sterling Palmer, Rich McKenzie, Marvin Jones, Lamont Green, Samari Rolle, Paul Moore, and more. FSU especially used to kill us with South Florida kids. I remember the late '80's better because I stopped paying as much attention after I began to realize what a crapshoot this is.

Just because a player "balls out" in a HS game doesn't mean he has the attributes coaches are looking for. I'm not willing to entirely pass judgement on Searles until he gets several years with his own recruits, not Golden's.

I've told the story of how our former DL coach Bob Karmelowicz (one of the best in the history of the program) told me what he looked for. They really paid almost no attention to recruiting lists put out by journalists. Very few of these guys who write these evaluations have significant coaching or playing experience. Bob was looking for a specific type of body and he would then evaluate. He was willing to take kids who met his criteria and felt he could coach them into football players.

I'm not willing to totally absolve Richt, Searles or the rest of the coaching staff for the downward spiral this year, but there wasn't a lot of great talent awaiting the Richt staff. Not like Golden left the successors a plethora of talent.

Plus, I do believe this talk of "bags." I don't know if we can find a way to overcome this without creating some kind of regulatory regime at the federal level to investigate how Bama and others violate the rules. Either the stories are not true or are exaggerated or the NCAA can't or won't deal with it.

Advertisement
Back