Where is college football headed?

MaxCanes

Recruit
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...usher-in-new-round-of-conference-realignment/

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before pay for play happens legally in college and permanently ruins the sport. You think the system is rigged now with Miami unable to compete with the money being thrown at recruits? Imagine what it will be like when it's fully and openly sanctioned by the conferences and universities. It will be the pro model. Hopefully, they can throw in some salary caps if and when this happens!

Advertisement
UM would definitely be in the "academically-minded" group. Our resources would dictate that, even if the Administration wanted (which they don't) to be with the "athletically minded" universities.

It will ruin CFB in my opinion and I don't just mean from the perspective that the SEC would dominate the payment landscape. I think there are a good many schools BOT that would also push back, I'm thinking Big 10. The ACC would never go that route due to the Tobacco Road Mafia.
I also found it interesting that the writer put FSU in the same basket as Clemson being more like an SEC school.
Apparently he missed the part where Jimbo left FSU due in part to their lack of spending.
I would love to see Miami out of the ACC from a competitive perspective, but I don't ever see that happening unless the whole conference dissolves.

It will ruin CFB in my opinion and I don't just mean from the perspective that the SEC would dominate the payment landscape. I think there are a good many schools BOT that would also push back, I'm thinking Big 10. The ACC would never go that route due to the Tobacco Road Mafia.
I also found it interesting that the writer put FSU in the same basket as Clemson being more like an SEC school.
Apparently he missed the part where Jimbo left FSU due in part to their lack of spending.
I would love to see Miami out of the ACC from a competitive perspective, but I don't ever see that happening unless the whole conference dissolves.
Assuming you would want to be more competitive, which conference would you like to see Miami move to? Conference USA, AA, Sunbelt?

Advertisement
If Miami isn't in the ACC, they're nowhere. No other league is remotely a fit. If we hadn't got that ACC offer, we'd likely be in the AAC now with USF and UCF.

Ultimately this creates a minor league pro system. All for players being compensated more than just a scholarship, this model is just a little too crazy for me though.

It would be better this way.

Stop the charade that kids are here for school, that kids arent already getting paid.

Put a salary cap on coaching staffs and player salaries, with profit sharing amongst everyone, and Miami would actually do BETTER.

Imagine we could as openly pay players as Clemson and LSU and Auburn etc etc etc do?

This will be similar to soccer in some countries where the "university" teams compete in the pro leagues. Like previous poster stated, it'll be minor league pro ball.

Advertisement

Stop the charade that kids are here for school, that kids arent already getting paid.

Put a salary cap on coaching staffs and player salaries, with profit sharing amongst everyone, and Miami would actually do BETTER.

Imagine we could as openly pay players as Clemson and LSU and Auburn etc etc etc do?

I'm not sure that we have the resources to compete with those much larger schools with limitless donor/booster $$.

Miami has raised a billion dollars...TWICE

if Miami continues to be cheap for football which is a sport that can be a money generator then they deserve the results they get.

We fans got Prime 112 dreams...UM is like we going to applebees

Last edited:
Advertisement
College football live was talking the other day about Bosa and saying that they need to catch up with the times and have a minor league for football. They said how baseball and now basketball has caught up and it's much better. You can separate the few kids that want an education vs most that want to be paid and have a fast track to the NFL. I think the kids should be paid but I don't agree with this because it will ruin college football itself and all the teams people are die hard fans of

That 64 team super league with 4 16 team divisions sounds like a good idea. It would finally pit the teams so **** bent on paying whatever it takes to land the top guys together and we no longer see the bull**** we see today of teams who pay for their players vs teams who don't. Only sad thing is is that we wouldn't qualify and be apart of the top division.

This probably doesn't stop the bagmen though. If all the players are getting paid the same or there's a cap, it would just mean the 5 stars are now being underpaid and the bagmen would come in to make up the difference.

Advertisement
Here is a little history lesson on the last big CFB "academic purge" (since if you were rougly born after 1970, you may not remember it):

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/05/...orced-to-lose-major-team-football-status.html

Yep, Harvard and Yale were D 1-A back in the day and the game was always televised on a network. The "Ivy League" that so many smart kids aspire to began as a sports conference! The service academies were headed in the same directon, save Ken Hatfield and Fisher DeBerry at Air Force instituting a time-consuming option attack which kept them in most games (and adopted by Navy and Army).

Yes, the SEC (less Vandy) and other big state schools who are sports focused (O$Uck, Pedo State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oregon, ASU, Utah, WSU, WVU, KSU, TTU) would definitely jump at expanding their trophy cases, but for many other well-known university sports names, losing (by being part of a "Athletics-First" grouping) the hard-won academic prestige their host univerities have (and the federal, state and commercial research grants that go with that reputation) would be a non-starter:

Michigan
Cal
UCLA
Stanford
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Colorado
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Duke
UNC (Yeah, funny)
WF
Virginia
ND (Yeah, believe it or not)
USC
Maryland
Rutgers

Yeah, quite a few names; if "Ivy Leagued" (along with UM), CFB is doomed even earlier than the lack of spending caps will kill it off.

I've never understood why the NCAA just does't get out of the way of the apparel companies.

Let Nike, Adidas, Under Armor, New Balance, and Puma have their way. Kids get paid to play for those affiliated teams, and the companies can decide how much they want to pay the kid to select one of their schools and wear their gear.

Seems so simple to me.

Come out of the shadows, and let the light shine.

And it would apply across all sports!

Miami's future championship hopes (based on cases like this plus our limited alumni endowment and resources), would indicate that basketball not football is where our future lies. Hard to see now but ... let's talk again in 15 years.

This probably doesn't stop the bagmen though. If all the players are getting paid the same or there's a cap, it would just mean the 5 stars are now being underpaid and the bagmen would come in to make up the difference.

"Greed is Good" comes to mind

Advertisement
Back