Where Does Zach McCloud Fit?

What kind of post is this?! Zach McCloud is by far the best LB UM has. 6’2 pushing 240 with great athleticism. The question shouldn’t be where do he fits in... it should be “where do the others fit in around him?” Had it not been for injuries... this post wouldn’t even be a thought. McCloud will most like move inside to MLB and Huff and Brooks will have to find their spot on the outside.

Advertisement
Should be a key in setting the tone for the younger guys in his last and hopefully best year . He *should* know that he better be all about business this year

I don't think any of the younger LB's are better athletes than Zach. He's not second fiddle. I'm very excited about watching him play on the inside FINALLY. He's struggled in space playing essentially the Striker role his entire career. Now he finally gets to shine where he should have been playing all along. I expect a **** of a year from him.
Man, I hope you're right! That sounds good to me.

I think he’s going to do great at MLB, probably one of the best in the conference if our DTs take that next step. His speed will help him more than anything. I don’t see him sliding to WLB, I see that being Huff’s position to lock down this spring

Advertisement
Wherever he ends up playing, I hope they cross-train positions this year. Even if they have more than enough numbers available. That GaTech debacle last season was both predictable and ridiculous.

We were so limited on LB numbers that, when Pinck went down, we couldn't play Sam Brooks because he only got practice reps behind Shaq, who was healthy, and also unable to slide over. So, we play a poor walk-on who they basically ran directly at multiple times. He made a play, but couldn't get there on others.

I know we went on to lose to FIU (worst loss I can remember) and shutout by La. Tech, but that series against GT was a low point last year.
Although, I agree with your overall point of cross training guys, lest we forget Shaq and Pinck combined to miss 13 tackles in that game. I know it's easy to pick on the "walk-on" because it moves the needle more. Scholarship guys didnt cut it either that game. The walk-on was about reason #17 as to why that game was lost.

Huff and Brooks
I don't think any of the younger LB's are better athletes than Zach. He's not second fiddle. I'm very excited about watching him play on the inside FINALLY. He's struggled in space playing essentially the Striker role his entire career. Now he finally gets to shine where he should have been playing all along. I expect a **** of a year from him.
Huff and cave are sideline to sideline

Brooks can run too. I would like to see Brooks at the Mike

We need more speed on the field

Although, I agree with your overall point of cross training guys, lest we forget Shaq and Pinck combined to miss 13 tackles in that game. I know it's easy to pick on the "walk-on" because it moves the needle more. Scholarship guys didnt cut it either that game. The walk-on was about reason #17 as to why that game was lost.
Eh. Got the wrong guy. I don't care to move the needle.

I'm not picking on Ragone. GT was. I actually felt for the dude who got thrown in there through zero fault of his own. GT ran at him every chance they got. The other guys may have had poor games, but it's obvious when a team directly attacks a player. Not sure they would have done that so obviously to Pinck. That low point is on the coaches - not the walk-on.

Advertisement
He's the only thing remotely close to a reliable option at LB right now.

Brooks: injured, played DE in HS, still learning the position
Jennings: must have been a nasty hip injury
Steed: coming off a 2nd major injury
Huff: enrolled late, did not play in 2019
Joyner: played DE in HS and 2018, injured in 2019, still learning the position
Flagg: out all spring
Cave: out all spring
The LB position is looking bad.

Eh. Got the wrong guy. I don't care to move the needle.

I'm not picking on Ragone. GT was. I actually felt for the dude who got thrown in there through zero fault of his own. GT ran at him every chance they got. The other guys may have had poor games, but it's obvious when a team directly attacks a player. Not sure they would have done that so obviously to Pinck. That low point is on the coaches - not the walk-on.
I dont know that they weren't going at Shaq and Pinck. I dont think those guys scared anyone all year to gameplan to stay away from them. I agree with you on the coaches

Advertisement
Should be the middle LB. Hopefully he’s better there than he was at SAM. He’s an athletic LB who should be able to run sideline sideline. Better athlete than Shaq but can he diagnose like Shaq?

Hopefully not in coverage. Hoping it’s Huff and Brooks by seasons end
I agree Huff an Brooks are gonna be on another level! Brooks is a football seeking missle on the field who I think will end up dominating games at Mike and Huff just needed weight an I'm sure he's put it on now dude is a baller anyone with questions need to go watch there HS tapes again them boys are ready! That's nothing towards McCloud them boys are just gonna be some savages and I can't wait to see them play!

Advertisement
Think he’s gonna be the more athletic MLB we’ve been begging for that unfortunately shaq couldnt fill

I can see him having an awesome senior year... testing well and make a roster in the NFL because physically he looks the part and at worst he can play STs

We better be rotating at least 3 guys at the 2 LB spots. Shaq and Pick got worn down at the end of games last year because they never got a breather.

Huff and Brooks
Huff and cave are sideline to sideline

Brooks can run too. I would like to see Brooks at the Mike

We need more speed on the field
Eventually, not this season I don’t think. Still needs to add some good weight, get him stronger to make him a more sure tackler. He will get plenty of reps this season though

Advertisement
Back