Where Does Zach McCloud Fit?

CanesNY26

Freshman
I'll preface this with I'm a big fan of Zach McCloud; I think he's a great leader and obviously a very good player as well. My question is with the players we have in the secondary and the FREAK athletes we have at linebacker, where does he fit?

Advertisement
I'll preface this with I'm a big fan of Zach McCloud; I think he's a great leader and obviously a very good player as well. My question is with the players we have in the secondary and the FREAK athletes we have at linebacker, where does he fit?
Most of the FREAK athletes at linebacker either haven't played much yet or are hurt.

Advertisement
I don't think any of the younger LB's are better athletes than Zach. He's not second fiddle. I'm very excited about watching him play on the inside FINALLY. He's struggled in space playing essentially the Striker role his entire career. Now he finally gets to shine where he should have been playing all along. I expect a **** of a year from him.

Advertisement
SAM LB has turned into the Striker and he doesn't profile there. Last year he played WILL in the PITT game when Pinckney was out, but I think he will play MIKE LB. Steed, Brooks, Huff, and Austin-Cave profile more at WILL where McCloud, Joyner, Jennings and Flagg are more MIKE. Striker will be Gilbert and Harrell

SAM LB has turned into the Striker and he doesn't profile there. Last year he played WILL in the PITT game when Pinckney was out, but I think he will play MIKE LB. Steed, Brooks, Huff, and Austin-Cave profile more at WILL where McCloud, Joyner, Jennings and Flagg are more MIKE. Striker will be Gilbert and Harrell
This is the kind of insight I was hoping for.

Advertisement
Wherever he ends up playing, I hope they cross-train positions this year. Even if they have more than enough numbers available. That GaTech debacle last season was both predictable and ridiculous.

We were so limited on LB numbers that, when Pinck went down, we couldn't play Sam Brooks because he only got practice reps behind Shaq, who was healthy, and also unable to slide over. So, we play a poor walk-on who they basically ran directly at multiple times. He made a play, but couldn't get there on others.

I know we went on to lose to FIU (worst loss I can remember) and shutout by La. Tech, but that series against GT was a low point last year.

Being able to be plugged in for the Pitt and have a great game should show how crucial Zach will be this year for us. He has the knowledge of the defense and experience to run our defense this year.

Advertisement
His experience and leadership places him as a starter.

Advertisement
Back