Where are Cane fans in the clear-cut majority?

Talking location here.

Is it all of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties?

I think someone posted here a little while back that "Cane Country" is essentially Dade and Broward from Fort Lauderdale south to the county line. Head north towards Pompano Beach and out come the Holes, Gaytors and others. I'd like to learn what those in-the-know have observed.

I hope to relocate to SoFla in the not too distant future. For once in my life, I'd like to live in a place where Canes are in the majority and UF/FSU fans are in the distinct minority.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

Lived there for awhile. Up there they don't care about ANY FL college teams. It's all Alabama and Auburn.

I resided in Pensacola during the late 1980s-early 1990s when Uncle Bobby had Free Shoes U rolling.

There were a ton of stinkin' Holes there then (and a good many Gaytor's, too).

With the Pensacola/Mobile media overlap, I don't doubt there are also plenty of Bame fans in Escambia County these days.

Of course, as much as the Tide has won under Saban, it seems like there are plenty of Tide fans just about everywhere.

It's all Bamer and Free Shoes, with a little Gata in between.

Advertisement
Smack talking a clerk who doesn't give a **** what you're talking about? I guess you showed them. I know where you're coming from, but it's a useless exercise.

Yeah, those girls are still in re-hab, except they are in there 40s now...Obviously a lot more fans in retail these days; didn't know CIS was also a RWDSU stronghold.

Ran into a Canes fan here in Jacksonville yesterday. Brief conversation and we are few and far between here, but seeing more and more each week. **** Gator and Semi's are all over the place. F 'em!

Talking location here.

I think someone posted here a little while back that "Cane Country" is essentially Dade and Broward from Fort Lauderdale south to the county line. Head north towards Pompano Beach and out come the Holes, Gaytors and others. I'd like to learn what those in-the-know have observed.

I hope to relocate to SoFla in the not too distant future. For once in my life, I'd like to live in a place where Canes are in the majority and UF/FSU fans are in the distinct minority.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

Lived there for awhile. Up there they don't care about ANY FL college teams. It's all Alabama and Auburn.

I resided in Pensacola during the late 1980s-early 1990s when Uncle Bobby had Free Shoes U rolling.

There were a ton of stinkin' Holes there then (and a good many Gaytor's, too).

With the Pensacola/Mobile media overlap, I don't doubt there are also plenty of Bame fans in Escambia County these days.

Of course, as much as the Tide has won under Saban, it seems like there are plenty of Tide fans just about everywhere.

It's all Bamer and Free Shoes, with a little Gata in between.

Yeah, I was talking about this with my brother, who lives in Pensacola about six months each year.

He said he's encountered a lot more Tide fans around town recently with the growth of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach nearby. I think those are the biggest tourist destinations in all of Alabama and they draw a lot of in-state business.

He says most of the people who consider themselves "from Pensacola" are FSU fans.

Advertisement
Obviously Dade and Broward have the most Miami fans per capita but percentages vary. If you live in a nicer area where a majority of the residents have college degrees, you'll see a mixed bag. Most college grads here didn't go to UM so they tend to stick with their alma maters whether it be FSU or UF. Most of the people I know who graduated FIU or FAU don't give a crap about their sports teams and prefer UM. ****, most of my friends from UCF are big Hurricane fans.

Talking location here.

Hard Rock on game day! And you still see some idiot wearing Gator or Noles gear at tailgates............ Gator and Nole fans/alumni are everywhere!

Last edited:

An interesting exercise back in 2014, but even the "Our $#!+ don't stink" NY Times gives this disclaimer:

"Like the other sets of maps, these were created using estimates of team support based on each team’s share of Facebook “likes” in a ZIP code. We then applied an algorithm to deal with statistical noise and fill in gaps where data was missing. Facebook “likes” are an imperfect measure, but as we’ve noted before, Facebook likes show broadly similar patterns to polls."

- Facebook misses whole swaths of population...That's okay, we will "fill in gaps."

- The cyber vetting that employers do discourages "out of step" partisanship. A company I interact with is very much Auburn grads and I don't think a "Roll Tide" person looking for a job would want to advertise the fact. I've been on the ground in Memphis (tons of Old Miss grads/fans, just watch The Blind Side) and a huge contrarian Michigan fan base in Ohio that most Wolverine grads/fans would not want on record for obvious reasons.

- Data gets stale or is just wrong. All politics aside, these are the same people who said Hillary would win the only race that mattered, the electoral college. Trust me, lots more Aggies and their fans in Texas than it shows with all the burn't orange (again, are people liking what they think employers will like?) and the data showing that much UTEP love has to be suspect.

Sure, but it's likely more accurate than someone on a message board saying it's 50% this, 20% that, 15% that, etc because I counted license plates, mullets and jorts.

Last edited:
Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

Nope. I live near there, it's all UGA and Bama.

I was joking...........Man i live in gwinnett and there are a **** load of miami fans. No doubt about the uga and bammer but we still have a strong presence

I know, but I'm one of the resident ********

Advertisement
Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

I was joking...........Man i live in gwinnett and there are a **** load of miami fans. No doubt about the uga and bammer but we still have a strong presence

I know, but I'm one of the resident ********
okie dokie

I'm in Guantanamo Bay (the naval station) and I have seen exactly 2 hurricanes shirts in the 6 months I been here. Of course, I'm constantly repping the U here. Get the stink eye from everyone when I do lol

Unincorporated Pembroke pines

Man, you know it's now a mollified, Swaffordized, Goldenized, "Oh gee, lets win the Coastal!" fan base when a 'Cane fan gets vilified for recounting smack talking back in the glory days...All the clerks were female and a lot of women back in those days liked a confident guy...If I struck out, I struck out; at least I wasn't a 20 something sitting in Mommy's basement, whacking away like a lot of the losers today.

Here, this will surely make you feel better now that I have ****ed in your safe space:

View attachment 43761

that's what you got out of his reply?

I demand to see the coconut through an MRI focused squarely on the areas in between the left and right ears

Advertisement
Man, you know it's now a mollified, Swaffordized, Goldenized, "Oh gee, lets win the Coastal!" fan base when a 'Cane fan gets vilified for recounting smack talking back in the glory days...All the clerks were female and a lot of women back in those days liked a confident guy...If I struck out, I struck out; at least I wasn't a 20 something sitting in Mommy's basement, whacking away like a lot of the losers today.

Here, this will surely make you feel better now that I have ****ed in your safe space:

View attachment 43761

that's what you got out of his reply?

I demand to see the coconut through an MRI focused squarely on the areas in between the left and right ears

Silly snowflake, I got two coconuts and the tree is squarely between them...

I live up in Norfolk, Va (Hokie and ODU country), but I am from just outside Tampa. I have never been in an area where it was mostly CANES either. If I ever hit it big or actually retire where I don't have to work anymore I plan on being somewhere within a couple hrs so I can be at every home game, recruit signing event, etc...

Advertisement
Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

There's a lot of SoFla natives up there in Metro Atlanta, doesn't surprise me at all. That's another reason why we will have traction up there recruiting wise. Some of the kids we recruit up there will have been raised by Canes fans.

Advertisement
Back