Where are Cane fans in the clear-cut majority?

For once in my life, I'd like to live in a place where Canes are in the majority and UF/FSU fans are in the distinct minority.

I feel your pain all to well. I've been in North Florida for 31 of my 35 years of being alive. I grew up 30 minutes west of Tallahassee (Sucked). After college, I lived in Tallahassee for 10 years (Really Sucked). Now I live in Jacksonville where it's about 60% Turds, 30% CrimiNoles, 5% UGA Bullpups, 5% other (*** my life). Can I please come with you?

Advertisement
Talking location here.

Is it all of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties?

I think someone posted here a little while back that "Cane Country" is essentially Dade and Broward from Fort Lauderdale south to the county line. Head north towards Pompano Beach and out come the Holes, Gaytors and others. I'd like to learn what those in-the-know have observed.

I hope to relocate to SoFla in the not too distant future. For once in my life, I'd like to live in a place where Canes are in the majority and UF/FSU fans are in the distinct minority.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

Lived there for awhile. Up there they don't care about ANY FL college teams. It's all Alabama and Auburn.

Orlando area is 35% Gator, 35% FSU, 15% UCF, 10% USF and 5% Canes. Even the local "rag", the Orlando Sentinel, gives us very little coverage mainly concentrating on Fl, FSU, and UCF. Coverage used to be better. It's a horribly bad sports section.

Talking location here.

I think someone posted here a little while back that "Cane Country" is essentially Dade and Broward from Fort Lauderdale south to the county line. Head north towards Pompano Beach and out come the Holes, Gaytors and others. I'd like to learn what those in-the-know have observed.

I hope to relocate to SoFla in the not too distant future. For once in my life, I'd like to live in a place where Canes are in the majority and UF/FSU fans are in the distinct minority.

Dade County, Georgia

Yea we deep up here in the A...

Jimmy Johnson owns the Keys. The Keys are Cane Country.

Advertisement
It's kind of hard to have a huge fan base when, as others have noted, you have a small private school in a big city with many
sports options.
Additionally, it is a very transient area.
Not only do you get alot of folks moving in, but alot of folks who grew up following the Canes leave the area.
I know this for a fact because I live in the Bat-DC area and everytime the Canes play within 3-4 hours drive
I see alot of folks repping the U, and many of them were originally from soFla.

Orlando area is 35% Gator, 35% FSU, 15% UCF, 10% USF and 5% Canes. Even the local "rag", the Orlando Sentinel, gives us very little coverage mainly concentrating on Fl, FSU, and UCF. Coverage used to be better. It's a horribly bad sports section.

I remember in August of 1983, the newly renamed Orlando Sentinel put out an unprecedented Football '83 tabloid section covering pro, college, and High School levels. The Miami section was as big as the ones for UFelony and Felonies Smothered University. I remember each of the sections detailed how to get to the game and park (the Miami section was quite entertaining) and the 'Canes write-up had a picture of Schnelly with his new QBs, post-Jim Kelly (yeah, I was thinking "don't start the tall, gawky guy" (Kosar) in the picture).

Since Mike Beeotchi and Georgie Girl Diaz, both FU alumni, came aboard, I'd say the paper considers itself the Gayt's home rag, to the chagrin of my misguided family members who root for the aforementioned Semenholes and U Can't Finish.

Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

Nope. I live near there, it's all UGA and Bama.

Advertisement

An interesting exercise back in 2014, but even the "Our $#!+ don't stink" NY Times gives this disclaimer:

"Like the other sets of maps, these were created using estimates of team support based on each team’s share of Facebook “likes” in a ZIP code. We then applied an algorithm to deal with statistical noise and fill in gaps where data was missing. Facebook “likes” are an imperfect measure, but as we’ve noted before, Facebook likes show broadly similar patterns to polls."

- Facebook misses whole swaths of population...That's okay, we will "fill in gaps."

- The cyber vetting that employers do discourages "out of step" partisanship. A company I interact with is very much Auburn grads and I don't think a "Roll Tide" person looking for a job would want to advertise the fact. I've been on the ground in Memphis (tons of Old Miss grads/fans, just watch The Blind Side) and a huge contrarian Michigan fan base in Ohio that most Wolverine grads/fans would not want on record for obvious reasons.

- Data gets stale or is just wrong. All politics aside, these are the same people who said Hillary would win the only race that mattered, the electoral college. Trust me, lots more Aggies and their fans in Texas than it shows with all the burn't orange (again, are people liking what they think employers will like?) and the data showing that much UTEP love has to be suspect.

Last edited:
Talking location here.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

Lived there for awhile. Up there they don't care about ANY FL college teams. It's all Alabama and Auburn.

I resided in Pensacola during the late 1980s-early 1990s when Uncle Bobby had Free Shoes U rolling.

There were a ton of stinkin' Holes there then (and a good many Gaytor's, too).

With the Pensacola/Mobile media overlap, I don't doubt there are also plenty of Bame fans in Escambia County these days.

Of course, as much as the Tide has won under Saban, it seems like there are plenty of Tide fans just about everywhere.

Talking location here.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

I resided in Pensacola during the late 1980s-early 1990s when Uncle Bobby had Free Shoes U rolling.

With the Pensacola/Mobile media overlap, I don't doubt there are also plenty of Bame fans in Escambia County these days.

Of course, as much as the Tide has won under Saban, it seems like there are plenty of Tide fans just about everywhere.

When I was stationed at Hurlburt Field, Okaloosa County, from the late 80s through the end of the 90s, I remember the local mall in the town of Mary Esther had a place called the Flora-Bama Connection, which sold 'Bama, Auburn, UFelony and Free Shoes merchandise. I loved going in there and asking the same questions, especially those championship years:

Me: "So where is the Miami Hurricanes gear"

Store Clerk: "We don't sell Miami stuff"

Me: "So the owner doesn't have a map which would show Miami is in the state of Florida?"

Store Clerk: "Again, We don't sell Miami stuff"

Me: "Yeah, I guess its cheaper to buy and re-sell stuff from scrub teams, then championship teams"

Store Clerk: "We DON'T sell Miami stuff!!!

Yeah, I was an annoying young 'Cane fan...Now, I'm just older.

Advertisement
Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

I was joking...........Man i live in gwinnett and there are a **** load of miami fans. No doubt about the uga and bammer but we still have a strong presence

Talking location here.

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

When I was stationed at Hurlburt Field, Okaloosa County, from the late 80s through the end of the 90s, I remember the local mall in the town of Mary Esther had a place called the Flora-Bama Connection, which sold 'Bama, Auburn, UFelony and Free Shoes merchandise. I loved going in there and asking the same questions, especially those championship years:

Me: "So the owner doesn't have a map which would show Miami is in the state of Florida?"

Me: "Yeah, I guess its cheaper to buy and re-sell stuff from scrub teams, then championship teams"

Thats an awesome exchange.....are you still annoying?

I feel your pain.

I live in Pensacola.

Thats an awesome exchange.....are you still annoying?

Why harass a store clerk? He doesn't give a ****, and doesn't determine what's sold. You might as well have that exchange with one of your kids.

Advertisement
Talking location here.

Dade County, Georgia

I was joking...........Man i live in gwinnett and there are a **** load of miami fans. No doubt about the uga and bammer but we still have a strong presence

Alot of folks from soFla have moved to Georgia.
I've actually bumped into several IT consultants working in the DC area who live in Georgia who were originally from soFla, includng
one who attended the same schools I did in Hialeah.
Small world.

Man, you know it's now a mollified, Swaffordized, Goldenized, "Oh gee, lets win the Coastal!" fan base when a 'Cane fan gets vilified for recounting smack talking back in the glory days...All the clerks were female and a lot of women back in those days liked a confident guy...If I struck out, I struck out; at least I wasn't a 20 something sitting in Mommy's basement, whacking away like a lot of the losers today.

Here, this will surely make you feel better now that I have ****ed in your safe space:

Golden-Al-1987-1987-Red-Bank-Catholic-School-Yearbook-Coach-Al-Golden-268x394-jpg.jpg

Smack talking a clerk who doesn't give a **** what you're talking about? I guess you showed them. I know where you're coming from, but it's a useless exercise.

Where to move?

Most Miami fans live in Miami-Dade County. Then second place goes to many cities throughout Broward County.

Broward County is the newer area that has exploded over the past 15 years....Newer schools. homes, shopping centers, etc... Looks cleaner, nicer, etc. You'll find many beautiful areas to choose from but unfortunately it's a mixed bag with allot of FSU and Fla fans intertwined. Throw in out-of-towners from all over the country and you end up with maybe 30/40% fan base in So Florida (Consisting mostly kids who didn't go to college)

Remember Miami is a small school and most who graduate leave town.

Advertisement
Back