When would 8-4 for this season have been acceptable?

1. Schedule. Literally the hardest schedule in the country. Lol.

2. Returning players are all hurt.

When you guys come back to planet Earth let me know. I'm trying to disengage but the dumbness here is overwhelming ...

1. “Literally” Miami does not have the hardest schedule. As of 10/31/2021, we have the 7th ranked S.O.S based upon results. Bama, UGA, UF, AU, Miss St, & PSU all have had harder schedules than us, and as the season goes on, our S.O.S will plummet.

2. The returning players getting hurt was actually a blessing for us. It forced the more talented players into action. Our OL has improved since Gaynor has gone out, our S play has improved since Bolden went down, our RB play has improved since Cam went down, & our QB has improved since King went down.

Of course none of us want ANY of our players to get hurt, but that seniority bull chit was forced to be put to an end. However, I named 4 players, 5 in total went down (Chaney, Cam, Gaynor, Bolden, King)….u’re neglecting Nesta, McCloud, Carter, Harley, Donaldson, Williams, & Ford + the addition of Johnson & Stevenson.

Our talent, despite the few injuries, is still far superior than any team that was on our schedule sans Bama.

Advertisement
When it turned out we scheduled two top 5 OOC games and then the Heisman candidate quarterback and two of the top running backs were out for the year, forcing the team to go from veterans full of super seniors to true freshman and second year freshmen.

8 - 4 would literally get Manny votes for ACC coach of the year (I'm sure wake coach wins). That would be an incredible accomplishment given the obstacles faced.
What F-ing obstacles??....What'd they do, confiscate his Slip & Slide??

Beginjing if season, I really thought 8-4 would be a ? as far as retaining staff given experience returning and talent. 7-5 fireable for sure. I also thought it would be impossible to slide like that.

TVD and the offense clicking like this were totally unexpected. Even to the coaches IMO.

Don’t be tricked. We need and can do better.

Well if they end the season 8-4, with a bowl win as well that'd imply a 7 game win streak, and I highly doubt any coach is gonna get fired after that.

Advertisement
Dude, seriously? You still have the “15-0 is a lifestyle” bullshyte as your profile description.

Yet you’re still calling out @Dwinstitles for loving this program so much that he tells the truth?

It’s a wonder that you haven’t been banned for a month for all of the threads where you and your merry men would gang up on dissenters before the season started. ****, you guys are still doing it to some degree, after these last two wins.

It’s funny because after losses, you and your merry men disappear for a few days. Then you give excuses as to why you were gone from the board to face the music. Last time you told me that you were driving home from the game. Did it take you 48-72 hours to get home?

At least we “mopes” have the balls and integrity to come on the board no matter what after each game and discuss the issues plaguing our program like men.

As I’ve stated before, I’m super happy for the young men that are fighting their hearts out to win week in and week out, in spite of Manolo doing his best to help them lose.
Has go canes responded to this post or has he disappeared? Asking for a friend

And your point is exactly what?
What would have been the expectation for a regular season finish, given the roster composition, going into the season if you knew all of those things? Would you have expected Mario or any other dream coach to go have double digit wins? Or if you somehow knew the end result was 8 wins, would you say that sounds about right given the circumstances?

If we win out and keep producing offensively, that shows progress.

I was down to fire Lashlee. Gotta get better on the OL, but the offense keeps producing like it is, I'm willing to slow my roll on that.

As for Manny, I haven't seen this team quit once under him. These kids fight until the end time and time again.

If he wins out, he'll not only stay, but deservedly so. No way I'm extending him, but even with one loss that's a **** of a turnaround and with a very young team. Before someone says how vet we were, yes we were, but was it quality vets? No, it wasn't at all.

The one catch in all of that. He needs to hire a dedicated defensive coordinator. The University needs to fund a big hire there, 1.5 mil or thereabouts at least. Things don't work out next year, then you've made a serious effort.
I don’t agree. Unless you feel Manny is the coach that can have the school competing for an ACC championship annually from here on out, it’s time to move on. I’d agree it shows progress, but schools that stay competitive have certain standards. I think competing for an ACC championship year in and year out should be the standard. I would co-sign keeping Manny after that run if they get rid of Blake and make him hire a DC like you mentioned. All of those things would have to happen though.

What would have been the expectation for a regular season finish, given the roster composition, going into the season if you knew all of those things? Would you have expected Mario or any other dream coach to go have double digit wins? Or if you somehow knew the end result was 8 wins, would you say that sounds about right given the circumstances?
Ok, I got ya.

I remember many of us saying that anything less than 10 wins would be considered a failure based on all of the veteran players coming back, ranking, etc.

To me, it’s still not good enough but better than the alternative of going something like 3-9, 4-8, etc.

There is hope & promise now.

Advertisement
D'Onofrio got nicknamed No D and 'Onofrio in his time here

I think we're beyond the point that he should be called Manny iaz

Current SOS is 3rd, remaining is 77th. A loss to anyone left of those 4 and you should be fired. I mean, dude should be fired as-is but won't be at 8-4.

Advertisement
8-4 this season was and never will be acceptable.

Going into the season, I thought we were significantly better than 11 of the teams we played. I'll admit Michigan State has surprised me, I thought they would be dogshyt this year. But they somehow patched together a team that is as talented as us, so I won't hold the loss against Manny. And I totally accept we're not in Bama's league yet.

Given that, 10-2 would be acceptable. I may have even forgiven one loss to an inferior team as the low bar, i.e. 9-3. Which still puts us into the ACCCG and this year we should have won it. Two losses in the regular season to significantly inferior teams is a failure of coaching.

Worse, I don't see Manny ever getting any better than this. All you have to do is look at his defense and the holes both in personnel and scheme to know he's as good as he's going to get. We'll never be better than 8-4 or 9-3 under Manny. That in and of itself is unacceptable.

Advertisement
When it turned out we scheduled two top 5 OOC games and then the Heisman candidate quarterback and two of the top running backs were out for the year, forcing the team to go from veterans full of super seniors to true freshman and second year freshmen.

8 - 4 would literally get Manny votes for ACC coach of the year (I'm sure wake coach wins). That would be an incredible accomplishment given the obstacles faced.
Yeah but the freshmen were better anyway. Manny just wouldn't play them. 8-4 is underachieving.

1. “Literally” Miami does not have the hardest schedule. As of 10/31/2021, we have the 7th ranked S.O.S based upon results. Bama, UGA, UF, AU, Miss St, & PSU all have had harder schedules than us, and as the season goes on, our S.O.S will plummet.

2. The returning players getting hurt was actually a blessing for us. It forced the more talented players into action. Our OL has improved since Gaynor has gone out, our S play has improved since Bolden went down, our RB play has improved since Cam went down, & our QB has improved since King went down.

Of course none of us want ANY of our players to get hurt, but that seniority bull chit was forced to be put to an end. However, I named 4 players, 5 in total went down (Chaney, Cam, Gaynor, Bolden, King)….u’re neglecting Nesta, McCloud, Carter, Harley, Donaldson, Williams, & Ford + the addition of Johnson & Stevenson.

Our talent, despite the few injuries, is still far superior than any team that was on our schedule sans Bama.
David Hale tweeted that "no team has played more games vs. FPI top 40 opponents than Miami. They're 3-4."

That said, I don't think it's the hardest schedule either . . . I put less stock in these statistics and more in terms of what I see, and some of these teams (UNC, UVA, NC St, Pitt) are really nothing more than mediocre to me. We'd likely have some ugly results if we were in the SEC.

Certainly at the beginning of the season 8-4 would not have had anyone supporting Manny Diaz to continue, not when the team has such deficiencies in the exact areas related to coaching. Now we are going to hear how we are the greatest team at the end of the season, like FSU used to crow about. 4 losses should still lead to an exit package for Manny, I would say exit interview but there is literally nothing to be gleaned from Manny on the way out the door.

Blake James needs to be terminated just like Chris Grier needs to be gone as the Dolphins GM. A new GM of any quality would methodically replace Manny Diaz and find a competent coach that can teach the fundamentals and show the team what it takes to win. I love the efforts over the past couple of weeks, but I posted here about 6 weeks ago after the MSU game that the 2 best groups on this team are the freshman and the transfers, both of whom have not been coached very log by Manny, it is not a coincidence.
No 8-4 is not good enough, losing to FIU is not acceptable giving up 600 yards of offense in multiple games is not acceptable

8-4 is terrible for a team of this talent level. That said, the trend is good. Unless we are opening up the purse strings for an ELITE level coach, I think you stick with Manny for another year. Otherwise you will set the program back a year and be in the same place 3 years from now.

Advertisement
Back