When would 8-4 for this season have been acceptable?

Certainly at the beginning of the season 8-4 would not have had anyone supporting Manny Diaz to continue, not when the team has such deficiencies in the exact areas related to coaching. Now we are going to hear how we are the greatest team at the end of the season, like FSU used to crow about. 4 losses should still lead to an exit package for Manny, I would say exit interview but there is literally nothing to be gleaned from Manny on the way out the door.

Blake James needs to be terminated just like Chris Grier needs to be gone as the Dolphins GM. A new GM of any quality would methodically replace Manny Diaz and find a competent coach that can teach the fundamentals and show the team what it takes to win. I love the efforts over the past couple of weeks, but I posted here about 6 weeks ago after the MSU game that the 2 best groups on this team are the freshman and the transfers, both of whom have not been coached very log by Manny, it is not a coincidence.

10 wins is my redline to change my opinion that Diaz's time has run out. Before the season started, I said 10 wins and winning the acc coastal was my expectation. Makes no difference if UM was 6-2 right now and lost two more to finish 10-4 or we are 4-4 and win out until the end of the season, win the conference and a bowl game to finish 10-4. End result is all that matters. In theory, UM still has a small chance of making it 10-4, and a extremely miniscule (but not mathematically impossible) chance of slightly exceeding my expectations of finishing 10-4 and winning the entire ACC (I said I expected 10-4 and winning the Coastal, winning the conference would top that).

Put it this way, would you prefer finishing the regular season 10-2 then losing in the ACC championship game and the bowl game to finish 10-4 or win out, win the acc championship and beat UF in a bowl game to finish 10-4? Personally I would much prefer the latter.

I'm not going to have a sliding scale and downgrade my expectations below 10 wins because of injuries, nor will I discount winning the conference as something meaningless just because the ACC turned out to be weaker than expected.

Anyways, its just mental *********ion at this point because with the defense being the way it is, I don't think we win out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When it turned out we scheduled two top 5 OOC games and then the Heisman candidate quarterback and two of the top running backs were out for the year, forcing the team to go from veterans full of super seniors to true freshman and second year freshmen.

8 - 4 would literally get Manny votes for ACC coach of the year (I'm sure wake coach wins). That would be an incredible accomplishment given the obstacles faced.
Here you go again with this injury BS to lower expectations.

Certainly at the beginning of the season 8-4 would not have had anyone supporting Manny Diaz to continue, not when the team has such deficiencies in the exact areas related to coaching. Now we are going to hear how we are the greatest team at the end of the season, like FSU used to crow about. 4 losses should still lead to an exit package for Manny, I would say exit interview but there is literally nothing to be gleaned from Manny on the way out the door.

Blake James needs to be terminated just like Chris Grier needs to be gone as the Dolphins GM. A new GM of any quality would methodically replace Manny Diaz and find a competent coach that can teach the fundamentals and show the team what it takes to win. I love the efforts over the past couple of weeks, but I posted here about 6 weeks ago after the MSU game that the 2 best groups on this team are the freshman and the transfers, both of whom have not been coached very log by Manny, it is not a coincidence.
Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

Advertisement
Advertisement

8-4 was the lowest win total I thought would be acceptable for Manny to return. If finishes the season 6-0 with 2 Top 20 Wins and two last second losses to Virginia and NC, I would understand if they brought him back, that's 2 plays away from being 10-2. Now I doubt this happens but we will see

But we will be 10-4 with an ACC Championship and big bowl win, it would top the 2017 season.

Advertisement
Here you go again with this injury BS to lower expectations.

Is it BS? The injuries are real, are they not?

8 - 4 is a pretty decent year around here anymore.
9 - 4 would be even better.
10 wins, well that's only happened one time since 2003.

Has this season been a disappointment? Sure, but is it enough to get Manny fired if he wins 8 or more? Not my call, but he'll get another year for sure.

Advertisement
Acceptable to the guy that hired someone with Randy Shannon’s resumè.

Ia it acceptable? Of course not but is there legit reason to ask if TVD and Rooster play from day 1 that they'd at worst be 6-2 now with a clear path to 10-2? Yes there is but tbh it doesn't matter at this point

Everyone keeps coming up with different scenarios for Manny to stay or go. Even if he wins out, he should go. You have to remember to look at the body of work as a whole and not this stretch at the end of the season. I wish it did work but it has not. You can tell he wants it, but you can also tell he ain’t that dude. Above all, Blake has to go. My .02 cents.

Advertisement
Back